S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The Art Lovers' Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love creating logos, I did the Upstate badge, and I just remembered, I put this one into my album.

Stone Bridge Drivers
We drive the old course

This was done for the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival, an annual event that supports the US Zippo Grand Prix weekend. Stone Bridge Drivers are those people who have come to the festival and have participated in any of the Friday tours. I got the opportunity to create this logo because I'm the Chairperson for one of the tours - The KNAPP VINEYARDS Sporting Roadster Tour.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Doug, I agree. Where's the rest of the artse fartse folks . . . I know you are out there.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Jul 24 2007, 11:04 AM
One of our favorite places in art-consumed Santa Fe was the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum...
Do you know who was Georgia's +1?

I love her paintings, but one of my strong passions has always been photography. Her +1 was Alfred Stieglitz.

'Two towers - New York' 1913
Old 07-25-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jul 25 2007, 11:51 AM
Doug, I agree. Where's the rest of the artse fartse folks . . . I know you are out there.
'cause you are a smart guy

I don't know, there must be a bunch more out there.

Funny college story. While taking Business Administration classes because I had not found the internal strength to undertake an art major, I was taking a general studies class about art, it was a class that no art major could take because it was so "basic." The prof's name was Hoton Weathersfield, a man who was wound tight, let me tell ya. One day in class as he was trying to drill into these non-creative minds that a painting like a van Gogh work was not done just because this guy wanted to paint something he saw, but artists were motivated by a strong internal need to express themselves. He went overboard to make the point saying every piece of art was an expression of an internal emotion that was expressed by the artist. He was trying to get the students to see deeper than just the picture they saw, however, as someone who already understood this point I took task to his usage of every piece. Soooo, I calmly raised my hand and asked, "excuse me Mr. Weathersfield, are you implying nobody has ever sat down and drawn a picture just because it was fun? He stopped, looked me straight in the eye, threw a piece of chalk at me and screamed, "What are you doing in the wrong major? Get out of my class!"

I went to his office and waited for him, how did he know? We talked for hours, and the very next quarter I enrolled in the BFA program and left Business Administration behind. Hoton later became a great advisor, and when I had a chance to take his class Survey of American Architecture I got a chance to see another who part of this great man. And I got to see; throwing chalk at people was only one of his many ways of getting through to students.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 427 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Jul 24 2007, 10:56 AM
Being an only child I used to draw all the time to keep myself entertained. Art was something very special to me. What's so funny is it was the one class I was tossed out of in high school - I don't recall why. I've never had any formal training except a few How To Paint books.

I promised myself I would be painting all the time when I retired but I have not picked up a brush except to do one unfinished painting. I really need motivation but can't seem to find it. Although spending two days at the Ann Arbor Art Fair last weekend with over 1000 artist did help a little.

Here's an early painting my mother saved and framed that was done in 1964.

Here's one done twenty years later, 1984.

Here's a wildlife I did a couple years later, 1986.
For a while I was really into doing wildlife; gave
away a few that were better.

I don't see a date on this one but it was
probably pre-80s.

Finally, this is the last one I did in 1986.
I consider it my best to date. After that I
got really into restoring sports cars and
never picked up a brush again except for
one I started a couple years ago and never
finished.

Everything is ready to go but me. I seem to
have hit a wall and can't get over it. I know
I should be painting every day - at least
something. I've totally forgotten many of the
mixing tricks, etc. but who knows maybe its
like swimming and will come back.

I suggested Deb start this thread, maybe with
a push I can get my off my butt.

Wow what a talent! These are fantastic! They are all very unique. Thank you for sharing them.

By the way, Vincent Van Gogh is one of my all time favorite painters. A visit to his museum in Netherland was a high light of my trip to Netherland.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 2,962 Likes on 1,648 Posts

I've always loved art. Had a painting of a tree I made in 4th grade put up in the Principals office at school. I've always taken art classes in college to get the fine arts requirements in.

I used to do watercolors because I took a watercolors class four times. I will have to take photos of my best ones to post. I think I've posted them before.

I took up stained glass after watercolors, and still love that although S2ki takes up my free time now days. If I ever get back in a love relationship, I think I'll spend less time here and more on stained glass again. I have so many pieces of cool glass to use, just waiting for me to design something and start a project.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a couple examples of the closest I get to being an artist:

1/9 scale bust of Joshua Chamberlain

54mm Crow Indian

54mm Woodland Indians

These are comercial kits I assmbled and painted, the last has a few modifications.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jul 25 2007, 04:08 PM
If I ever get back in a love relationship, I think I'll spend less time here and more on stained glass again. I have so many pieces of cool glass to use, just waiting for me to design something and start a project.
That's sort of why I enjoy living where we have snow/winter. Every year my life makes a complete change as I go from outdoor activities and car related stuff, to inside activities and home remodelling. I started a new bathroom cabinet in the winter, and I have not touched the project in months because it just seems the wrong time of the year to be down in the basement working...

Stained glass is one of the many classes I took during my extended stay at college, I too really enjoy it, and I too have not done any in a very long time.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:18 AM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

aj, love those Indians! I think making and painting models is pretty cool; I used to do a LOT with cars; this will give you some idea. Over time I drifted away from the plastic models, to metal models, and finally to just collecting die casts. Everything with the exception of a couple shelfs is 1/24.

Here's one I put together from scratch that got me a 1st at one of the MG meets.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 2,962 Likes on 1,648 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 26 2007, 05:37 AM
That's sort of why I enjoy living where we have snow/winter. Every year my life makes a complete change as I go from outdoor activities and car related stuff, to inside activities and home remodelling. I started a new bathroom cabinet in the winter, and I have not touched the project in months because it just seems the wrong time of the year to be down in the basement working...

Stained glass is one of the many classes I took during my extended stay at college, I too really enjoy it, and I too have not done any in a very long time.
My stained glass set-up is all in the garage. I used to love the solitude of working on it while listening to music. Now that I live alone pretty much, I want more socialization so I find myself here instead. Still would love to make something new, or even do the very last step on my last project, but I need my human connection more than to have my creative urge satisfied, right now.

Quick Reply: The Art Lovers' Thread