S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Bad cars we love, good cars we hate.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1399510937' post='23149516
Most British cars would fall into the Bad cars we love category. Their legendary unreliability still endears many who love them. I wanted an MGB so bad but couldn't afford one after I got out of the service. Then when I could along came kids and sedans. I just attended our annual British car show and there were some great vintage cars in attendance.
I agree but... I don’t feel British cars are inherently unreliable, although some had bad designs that went on for years. The bottom line to me is they came from a different culture. It was one of where you could not neglect maintenance. Of course we all have know about Lucas electrical, SU carbs out of sync, and leaking shocks.
I agree. Not only can you not neglect it, but the list is significant and includes daily, weekly and monthly checks. If buyers had taken the time to read and understand all that before they purchased, there probably would have been a) a lot fewer British sports cars sold in the US and b) a lot fewer breakdowns and complaints.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I never neglected my MGs, Triumph or Fiat. The maintenance didn't bother me, it was the unpredictability and lack of reliability that bothered me. If you fixed something one week there was no guarantee that you wouldn't have to fix it again the next week. Mine always started in the morning, I just never knew if I'd make it home that night.

Out of fairness my MGs weren't nearly as bad as my Triumph TR6. My Fiat X-1/9 was the worst. (I'm hoping my Bertone is better.)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I never neglected my MGs, Triumph or Fiat. The maintenance didn't bother me, it was the unpredictability and lack of reliability that bothered me. If you fixed something one week there was no guarantee that you wouldn't have to fix it again the next week. Mine always started in the morning, I just never knew if I'd make it home that night.

Out of fairness my MGs weren't nearly as bad as my Triumph TR6. My Fiat X-1/9 was the worst. (I'm hoping my Bertone is better.)
Since 40 or 50 years have passed since a lot of these cars were built the best advice I can give is to join a local club because you will find a wealth of valuable information readily available. Actually, the problem these days is finding well built or should I say properly built parts. For example, today I found a good source through a club member for a rear axle o-ring with the proper specs. The one a major vendor sells is 20 thousands smaller in thickness than original equipment o-ring; otherwise it is the correct overall size. They claim it works and that is what they sell. And, they apparently do for a while... as that is what I've been using since my last repair but it's leaking again. Now I am pretty sure I know why. I have the 8-sided socket wrench and 150# torque wrench to finish the job but if I didn't I'm sure a fellow club member would. I can't stress enough how helpful clubs are with owning older sports cars.