S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A car problem that I need some help with

Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I don't think anyone in here was correlating direct injection or anything related to fueling to the OP starter issues, the conversation simply morphed into another topic/avenue as it often can.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Hi Adam,

Yes, we did speak on November 16, 2018 to be specific.

First, let me say I appreciated it. I considered our discussion “off the record”. I have never shared some of the things we talked about on this or any other site.

Second, please re-read the thread. You will see I never once suggested your dad’s issue had anything what-so-ever to do with DI. Why would I? I know his older CR-V does not have DI.

I only brought up the DI issue after Heyitsgary’s post, #18, when he mentioned he was considering a ’18 Civic. It had nothing to do with your dad’s likely starter issue.

I told Heyitsgary, as I have told many others, Honda’s 1.5L DI engine’s have serious oil dilution issues that Honda has not resolved. The 2017, 2018, and 2019 CRV’s are on record at numerous Internet sites such as CR-V owners club, Facebook, and the Vanguard financial blog called Bogleheads with hundreds of posts of dissatisfaction over oil dilution, cabin heat issues, and Honda’s failure to say anything except its all normal. You and I both know that is lawyer talk. In fact, the oil issue goes against what is written in Honda’s owner manual warning.

A brilliant system is not one that only functions well under load. To quote you, “When running an engine in a loaded condition.....”. I have no argument with your statement but please define a loaded condition for me. Is driving at 75 mph on the interstate for ½ hour twice a day a loaded condition? Apparently not, as my wife does this at least 4 or more times every week and we have seen our oil issue rise up steadily mile after mile and month after month. Is it wide-open throttle? Should she be drag racing from every light?

I think you will agree this isn’t the place for you and I to discuss Honda’s issues, pro or con, with the 1.5L turbo. In the three months since we talked I have learned more than I ever wanted to about this engine and would welcome another off the record chat in the future. I'll leave that up to you, should you wish to chat more.

Wishing you all the best Adam. Hope to see you at the Spring Fling.

Last edited by dlq04; 02-20-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:58 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Adam, I do not expect you to answer this but this is what our experience has been.

I have not, as yet, ever had an oil change.
1,711 miles = Oil registered 0.25” above full mark.
3,139 miles = Oil registered 0.50” above full mark
4,131 miles = Oil registered 0.625” above full mark.

Per the owners manual:
"Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. If you drive the vehicle with insufficient or deteriorated oil, the engine may fail or be damaged."

Why is fuel dilution a problem? The short answer: premature engine wear. Amsoil states the acceptable fuel dilution limit for gas engines is 2.4%. Is this true? I don't know. What percentage is mine? I don't know. I am only a shade tree mechanic but no one can tell me that is normal and will have no long term effects on the engine.

There have been posts of owners who have been 1 to 1.5" above the full mark. All due to unvaporized gasoline in the oil pan.

If Honda wants to make me a believer, then backup what they say and extend my warranty plus be specific at what level or interval I need to do oil changes. Or provide a fix that works. The regional product update, as many have reported, did not solve their problem.

I would like to believe that the same company that designed the S2000 engine - perhaps the greatest naturally aspirated engine ever - would resolve this in a meaningful way. Rather then saying wait till the Check Engine Light comes on!

Enough...... back to the original post. Rob, did you get your problem solved?

Last edited by dlq04; 02-21-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Who is Rob? And what is this problem he is trying to solve?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Rob is the OP
Old 02-21-2019, 09:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Adam, I do not expect you to answer this but this is what our experience has been.

I have not, as yet, ever had an oil change.
1,711 miles = Oil registered 0.25” above full mark.
3,139 miles = Oil registered 0.50” above full mark
4,131 miles = Oil registered 0.625” above full mark.

Per the owners manual:
"Oil is a major contributor to your engine's performance and longevity. If you drive the vehicle with insufficient or deteriorated oil, the engine may fail or be damaged."

Why is fuel dilution a problem? The short answer: premature engine wear. Amsoil states the acceptable fuel dilution limit for gas engines is 2.4%. Is this true? I don't know. What percentage is mine? I don't know. I am only a shade tree mechanic but no one can tell me that is normal and will have no long term effects on the engine.

There have been posts of owners who have been 1 to 1.5" above the full mark. All due to unvaporized gasoline in the oil pan.

If Honda wants to make me a believer, then backup what they say and extend my warranty plus be specific at what level or interval I need to do oil changes. Or provide a fix that works. The regional product update, as many have reported, did not solve their problem.

I would like to believe that the same company that designed the S2000 engine - perhaps the greatest naturally aspirated engine ever - would resolve this in a meaningful way. Rather then saying wait till the Check Engine Light comes on!

Enough...... back to the original post. Rob, did you get your problem solved?
Wow that's crazy! This has all been an education for me. So I appreciate the banter and insight into this. Fuel wash is a serious thing. Crazy the oil level is actually increasing and that much due to mixing with fuel. It cant be good short term or long term. I'm so used to watching my oil level disappear, id be seriously confused if I wasn't hip to what was going on in your case
Old 02-21-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Yesterday the temperature was 25*f and the Si wouldn't start. Today, at exactly the same temperature, after a snow and rainstorm, the Si started right up and ran well. I'm hoping whatever got waterlogged has dried out and the situation has solved itself.

Gary, I love my Si. Except for this temporary (I hope) problem I've had absolutely no issues with it. If anything happened to this one I'd buy another one in a heartbeat (unless the price of the Type R came down and the silly wing on the rear deck was remove, then I'd buy a Type R). I'm not making light of Dave's problem with DI but I haven't experienced it in my Si. I love my Si.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:56 PM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Dave,
two sources i can think of ( well 3 maybe)
one is the fuel you talked about.
two is perhaps a coolant leak which raising the oil level. cracking the drain plug would should if coolant has settled to teh bottom.

three, well three is just mean, but do you have any neighbors who don't like who are adding just a little oil now and then to mess with you?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:02 PM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Rob, what year is your Si?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Rob, what year is your Si?
From his initial post, "As you know I own a 2017 Civic Si. I have about 15,600 miles on it and I love the car. Unfortunately in the last two weeks a problem has developed that neither I nor Honda can figure out."

Quick Reply: A car problem that I need some help with