S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Would you consider a US brand for your next new car?
Yes, but I would shop US without the improved reliability.
12.50%
Yes, but only because US cars are improving
20.00%
Not yet. I want to see a history of reliability.
2.50%
Not yet. They don't make anything that interests me.
30.00%
No. I see no reason to switch from my favorite brand.
12.50%
If it doesn't say Honda, I don't look at it.
7.50%
I'm unique and have my own answer. See below.
15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Detroit Strikes Back!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Detroit Strikes Back!

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/autos/..._iqs/index.html

Well, they didn't really strike anyone, but it is good to see the US brands are scoring well in these quality surveys. Will Detroit's improving reputation move you to consider a Ford Chevrolet or Chrysler product the next time you buy, or is it still too soon for you? If yes, which model catches your attention?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I will continue to buy pickups, be they Ford or Chevrolet. I avoid the Dodges because, at least in regards to the diesel, they have too many problems with the fuel system and transmission.

I avoid the cars altogether, the last American Suv was a Suburban that stayed in the shop far too much for my taste.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I need a more practical work vehicle. Need to haul around medical equipment for demonstrations.

Had my heart set on the CTS-V wagon to replace my S4 but the opening of the hatch is way too low to get my gear into the vehicle. Bummer.

Sienna SE here I come!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

When Honda doesn't have a car in the style that I want, then I might look at other brands.

Most people I've spoken to lately who have a recent domestic automobile don't have issues with defects, it's the overall crappy feel of the cars, from numb steering to clunky transmissions. Quality of build is not the issue. A friend recently completed a lease on a Dodge Charger, and 'upgraded' (in his mind) to a base Civic 4-door. He hated that Dodge.

JonasM
Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I've been happy with my Jeep and would buy another.....but need improvement on gas mileage first. They've got time, I'm not vehicle shopping any time soon.

I like the looks of many of the Ford vehicles, but since +1 works elsewhere, I don't see a Ford in my driveway anytime soon.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I would be fine with American made cars in the future but I would really like them to pay more attention to heft and gas milage before I commit.

We have three Japanese cars now, but I am not buying anything Japanese until they stop whaling, but I am an eco nerd I guess.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,659 Posts

I lied in my vote. I bought a Toyota but voted "If it doesn't say Honda I don't look at it." I always want to buy Honda but when they don't make what I want, I'll look elsewhere. I'm no where near buying American yet. Some of them look half-way decent (can't recall what Jerry and I were looking at on the road) but I want excellent, proven reliability in my cars.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wifely unit's 2000 Grand Marquis has not had any major problems yet and I have not seen anything new that I can get really excited about so she will probably get another Grand Marquis when she wears this one out.

Besides that, I get "A" Plan on Ford products.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

I wish Chris would buy me a red Corvette Grand Sport. I would stoop to drive it!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I voted Not yet. They don't make anything that interests me.

1. They dont make anything that meets my criteria in the price range I'm looking at. Sure the Corvette and the Viper are awesome cars, but I need to be older, wiser and more affluent before I can afford one.

2. They sell better cars overseas and sell us watered down versions. No Focus RS for the US. The lone RS in the US is courtesy of a collector who went down to Mexico to buy his car. I loved the Pontiac GTO (The Aussie Holden Monaro re-badge), too bad they had to kill that car

3. They need to make something reliable, affordable, with decent build quality, and most importantly that fun to drive characteristic before I'd consider buying American. Sadly, most of their line-up consists of appliance cars. That seems to be changing which is good as I keep my options open.

4. with what Jonas said. I'll buy Honda as they seem to have everything I need so far. I may consider buying a light pick up truck down the line, and may go with the Mahindra Pik-Up (diesel) when the time comes and I actually need one for its utility.

Quick Reply: Detroit Strikes Back!