S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Assuming both are the same price (+/- $600), which would you choose?
HDTV with HD DVR
72.22%
iPad (non 3G)
11.11%
Neither - buy Scooterboy a case of Makers Mark
16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

DVR/HDTV or iPad

Old 04-14-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVR/HDTV or iPad

So I rec'd a call from my accountant yesterday - I'll be getting a refund this year. My plan is to put most into my 'rainy day' fund but set aside some for something good, hence my choices. A little background on each:

Choice #1 - Right now, we have a 50" HDTV down in the basement rec room and a 35" non-HD TV in our family room. I watch the 35" most of the time (80%). I also have a VCR on the 35" but it recently went DOA. So this will replace my setup with a 37" HDTV and get a HD DVR from Cox. I'm a big F1 fan, so this would elimate me from having to get a new VCR to record the races (do they even still make VCRs?). I've never had a DVR but hear they are awesome.

Choice #2 - On a flight last week, my seat-mate pulled out a new iPad. I was intrigued and she said it had exceeded all her expectations. When I got back to work, one of the partners also was toting one around. He let me play with it for a few hours and it is very cool - I think a game-changer in how we interact and consume digital material, particuarly the internet. Although I still need a real computer for certain processing, I certainly spend a fair amount of time on the web, both work and non-work related. So this choice is to take a bold step now with the goal of integrating the iPad into my daily routine.

Knowing how vintage members love polls, I bring this to you. Thoughts?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 AM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I vote none of the above, though you could buy Scooter Buy a small bottle of booze.

We still use a VCR, BUT, with new technology, it's getting tougher to tape TV while watching TV, especially if the unit is a DVD/VCR...weird.

I guess if I have to pick one of the two choices, I'd give the cable thieves a bit of $ and get the DVR.

I see no real purpose to the iPad, unless you are a gadget guy who needs to be connected at all times.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

I'm not uber big on television viewing so I guess I should have just deferred from even voting. I've been considering DVR since one of my friends LOVES it. The only kind of MUST SEE for me on television is Fringe and I like to see Criminal Minds. However, I lose no sleep from missing either of them. If I'm absolutely wiped out, I'll flip channels until I see something that looks interesting like that show Hoarders, but I can take television or leave it.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 AM

Received 5,025 Likes on 3,035 Posts

I am not a big tv viewer, except for a few series, a few movies, road racing, and hockey but I can say that having a DVR with HD tv is one of BEST things we've bought. I highly recommend the combo.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Awaiting 2nd gen. IPad.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 AM

I'm don't know what I'd use an iPad for. I already haul a laptop with me when I travel. I don't need a pad in addition to that.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
tof

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,315 Posts

We recently upgraded our cable plan to include some HDTV and we got a dvr in the deal. Wish I had done it five years ago. If anything, I watch less tv but what I do watch is what I CHOOSE to watch rather than whatever happens to be on when I have some viewing time.

We have NetFlix as well and that is another 10 bucks a month well spent imho. Some great documentaries and some pretty good british tv available for streaming. But you do have to have an appropriate interface device. We use our son's PS3.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 AM

Received 3,028 Likes on 1,678 Posts

i pad? What's that? A new pick-up line? Want to see my iPad?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point,Apr 14 2010, 10:18 AM
Awaiting 2nd gen. IPad.
Exactly! If you think this one is good wait another year and it will be replaced three different times. My vote is for the TV/DVR. We never watch anything on TV unless we DVR it. Never see commercials anymore.

You could also send me the money and I'll tell you what was on TV so you never have to watch
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the idea behind the iPad, but I can't live without my DVR.

Quick Reply: DVR/HDTV or iPad