S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Is this the end of the huge SUV?

Old 10-05-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't it nice to know that, for whatever reason, we can exercise our automotive preferences without undue governmental involvement. THAT should be important to everyone on this thread.

Otherwise, what happens when a certain faction says that they don't like the S2000 because it doesn't have "adequate rollover protection", or cars that have less than four seats are inefficient and should be taxed, or the hi-performance nature of the car should be mitigated as it may cause unsafe driving behavior.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ralper,Oct 5 2005, 10:30 AM

So while I won't argue with you about some people actually needing an SUV for what it is, I think the reality is that many, many people drive them because they are or were in vogue.

The people that drive SUV's for fashion statements will be weeded out by $3 a gallon (or more) gasoline.

They'll move on to the next fashion.

I will admit that even though we got the Tahoe to be able to haul dogs, horses, saddles, etc around, there were plenty of times that it served commuter service, which it did very well.

Since we now have more horses, and the Tahoe did not have the towing capacity, we have had to replace one SUV with two other vehicles. So we went from a one vehicle does it all for $40,000 to needing two vehicles to do it all for well over $60,000.

We got a Honda Element for around town, so we went from a full size SUV that is safer, more comfortable, and all around more enjoyable to drive and got 17 mpg to a Honda Element that is not as comfortable, not as safe, and only gets 21 mpg. I don't think I would make that trade again.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:25 AM

I was in front of some yahoo in a Excursion who had his 4 gazillion watt fog lights on in bright sunlight. I had to dim my rearview mirror while he tailgated, and was just being a royal pain in the butt
It seems that people like that have one to be the big dog on the block instead of having an SUV their intended purpose is.
I don't want to even think of what would happen if something that big hit a small car.
Somewhere down the line we have to downsize, not only for gas savings, but for the sake of everyone else on the road.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=i_heart_my_DB8,Oct 5 2005, 10:30 AM] The "I want an SUV to be safer" statement is so ego-centric.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by silvershadow,Oct 5 2005, 11:43 AM
Since I never do anything stupid, then me causing a wreck is not a possiblity.

While I believe 100% that this statement is true, there are still a whole bunch of SUV drivers out there who are NOT you . I still have to worry about them.

The funny thing is that SUV's are safer only in a collision. Which is a good thing, because with their huge curb weights, high centers of gravity, increased braking distances, and inability to change directions quickly due to all that rolling mass (I believe it's called inertia)- they just might need all the collision protection they can get.

There's an awful lot to be said for a vehicle's ability to avoid an accident altogether.

I understand that you want your family to be safe. I would too if I had one. But the reasoning that having the biggest vehicle on the block makes you the safest isn't necessarily the most sound.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by silvershadow,Oct 5 2005, 01:07 PM
I can tell you that after watching a PT Cruiser get T-boned and flipped right in front of us by a woman running a redlight (while talking on her damn cell phone), the first words out of my wife's mouth were "I want my Tahoe back".
The question in my mind is, what vehicle was the person that hit the PT driving. I think that many people in SUVs are looking for protection form other people in SUVs. Just a thought.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy,Oct 5 2005, 01:14 PM
The question in my mind is, what vehicle was the person that hit the PT driving. I think that many people in SUVs are looking for protection form other people in SUVs. Just a thought.
She was driving a Mitsu Eclipse, and it still flipped the PT Cruiser, blew all the airbags, and trapped the driver in the car.

Other lesson learned - there is no PT Cruiser in my future.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts

PT is the Neon platform, is it not?
Old 10-05-2005, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes indeed! It's a Neon platform in all its glory.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:58 PM

$3, $4, $5 a gallon, doesn't make that much of a difference really. I mean a full sized SUV new is $40k. 15k miles a year at 12mpg and $3 a gallon is $3750....until gas gets to the car payment, I am not sure how much difference it will make. Esp for some family making $150k combined income.

One thing gas price does is simplify usage. What is worse driving a 12mpg SUV 8k a year or driving a 25mpg car 80k a year? Expensive gas clarifies unnessary travel and how far from work you are just as much as it does what you travel in.

I never really understand how anyone with a house could possibly own just a S2000 (store delivery?, friends?). I have a full a sized pickup truck that is used for 3+ passengers, winter, and moving anything that won't fit in the S (I am single). I will put on about 1k miles on the truck from March to December (I have only put in 2 refills). I hate driving it too, it is like driving a living room compared to the S.

Quick Reply: Is this the end of the huge SUV?