S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The end of the Internal Combustion Engine

Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
The market for internal combustion engines may be a niche market in thirty plus years, but I still see a strong following for lovers of the feel, smells and rumble of a big motor.
Place your order now.
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...after-62-years
The XKSS is in my top five dream cars but the 'finned' D-Jag would only work for me if I could drive it at the LeMans 24-hour race.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Well.... here you go then, start planning for next year. I can practically smell the Castrol R wafting from the pages of this link.

Le Mans Classic 2018 – 6 – 7 – 8 / 07 / 2018
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Well.... here you go then, start planning for next year. I can practically smell the Castrol R wafting from the pages of this link.

Le Mans Classic 2018 – 6 – 7 – 8 / 07 / 2018
Yah, that would be living the dream!
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
The tank's size and shape make it impractical for cars. It can make some of the trunk killer hybrid batteries look efficient.
Not true. I have seen CNG in action on my trips to Thailand. I have a regular driver who has a CNG/GAS car. I watch as he fills up with gas or CNG. CNG fills under the hood for most vehicles. He (my driver) prefers CNG for the cost benefit. When we really get out to the countryside and away from CNG stations, it is a snap to switch to gasoline. I would switch in a heartbeat for a car like that here if we had the infrastructure for CNG.

Commercial trucks have a bank of tanks (they look like fiberglass long scuba tanks) one layer thick between the cab and back end of the truck. Really does not take up much room. Retro fits have tanks on the bottom like regular diesel trucks.

Tried to find my pictures I took of the vehicle fueling up with CNG but my iMac reordered the dates on pictures and I cannot locate them without spending a day on it.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I guess this is relevant here...
The Secrets of Electric Cars and Their Motors: It's Not All About the Battery, Folks - The Drive
Old 02-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

All you need to do is have a coffee with a radio control airplane guy who flies electric airplanes. You will soon see where things are heading.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Ohhh. Look who thinks he's too good for acronyms...
Only when they are ambiguous.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:29 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Someday, everyone will be driving electric cars. They will be affordable and will only take a few minutes to "recharge", possibly with a battery swap. This will happen, not because we have run out of oil. We will never run out of oil. We may run out of affordable oil but long before that happens the shift to electrics will be driven by carbon management, which will be a bigger and bigger deal as the decades pass. Electricity just gives you the option of taking energy from non-carbon emitting sources, whether nuclear or solar or wind or hydro or voodoo or a mix of all of them, and store it, bring it with you, and convert it into kinetic energy. Or...maybe hydrogen, which offers the same functionality.1

Not next year or even next decade. But it will happen. Our kids will see that day.

I am much more worried about restrictions on human-driven cars within my lifetime than I am about having to daily drive an electric.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Not true. I have seen CNG in action on my trips to Thailand. I have a regular driver who has a CNG/GAS car. I watch as he fills up with gas or CNG. CNG fills under the hood for most vehicles. He (my driver) prefers CNG for the cost benefit. When we really get out to the countryside and away from CNG stations, it is a snap to switch to gasoline. I would switch in a heartbeat for a car like that here if we had the infrastructure for CNG.

Commercial trucks have a bank of tanks (they look like fiberglass long scuba tanks) one layer thick between the cab and back end of the truck. Really does not take up much room. Retro fits have tanks on the bottom like regular diesel trucks.

Tried to find my pictures I took of the vehicle fueling up with CNG but my iMac reordered the dates on pictures and I cannot locate them without spending a day on it.
The picture you posted shows the trunk is taken over by the tank. The car is small anyway. The issue is money. In Thailand CNG is maybe 15BHT/kg good for 21 km/kg. Gas or diesel is about 27-30BHT/liter which is good for 15-17 km. That is the same for trucks in the US...when oil was $100/bbl. Now, at $60/bbl are recently less, it isn't that clear it is a better deal.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:56 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

do we have a problem with TLA's?

( three letter acronyms) come on that has become my life.

Quick Reply: The end of the Internal Combustion Engine