S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

F1 2018-2019

Old 11-04-2019, 08:09 PM

Received 467 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
What a contrast between the greatness of Lewis Hamilton and the drab personality of Valtteri Bottas. Congrats to Lewis, one of the greats of all time. We all know the Mercedes team just keeps finding a way to be the absolute best. Congrats to them as well.
One cannot deny that Lewis Hamilton has the talent to drive a superior F1 Car. For that matter so does Valtteri Bottas. However, unlike Fernando Alonso*, Daniel Ricciardo* (and perhaps others), Hamilton (or perhaps his manager) had the good sense to leave McLaren back in 2012 to join Mercedes. Back then, the general consensus was negative. He does have talent, but he also has positioned himself to be in the right place (Team) at the right time. As most things in life: "Timing is Everything". If he had stayed with McLaren (out of a sense of loyalty, because the team mentored him since his Karting days) where would he be today?

I for one have never been a fan of Lewis Hamilton as he NOT been very sportsman like over the years, although he has matured in the last few years. He has a history of not congratulating other drivers that have bested him after a race. On like other F1 Drivers, he also seems oblivious at the pre race playing of the host countries National Anthem, or while on the podium during the playing of the anthems in the post race ceremonies. Unlike other drivers, he often is self absorbed and ignores the other drivers in the cool down room before the podium presentations.

* Who IMHO have made poor choice when switching teams (based on the subsequent results) .
Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 AM

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Alonso deserves ****** talk about poor decision making.

And Hamilton _should_ be on #7 He needed almost nothing for points with 2 races to go in his rookie season and team strategy hung him out to dry and kimi won.

Very few drivers immediately show their talent, Kimi, vettel, hamilton possibly leclerc verstappen.
It must be tough to be a exceptionally good driver just not that good.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 5,078 Likes on 3,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
One cannot deny that Lewis Hamilton has the talent to drive a superior F1 Car. For that matter so does Valtteri Bottas. However, unlike Fernando Alonso*, Daniel Ricciardo* (and perhaps others), Hamilton (or perhaps his manager) had the good sense to leave McLaren back in 2012 to join Mercedes. Back then, the general consensus was negative. He does have talent, but he also has positioned himself to be in the right place (Team) at the right time. As most things in life: "Timing is Everything". If he had stayed with McLaren (out of a sense of loyalty, because the team mentored him since his Karting days) where would he be today?

I for one have never been a fan of Lewis Hamilton as he NOT been very sportsman like over the years, although he has matured in the last few years. He has a history of not congratulating other drivers that have bested him after a race. On like other F1 Drivers, he also seems oblivious at the pre race playing of the host countries National Anthem, or while on the podium during the playing of the anthems in the post race ceremonies. Unlike other drivers, he often is self absorbed and ignores the other drivers in the cool down room before the podium presentations.

* Who IMHO have made poor choice when switching teams (based on the subsequent results) .
Matt, I am a bit surprised by your view of Lewis. To me he is what a great race driver needs to be. Yes he is properly arrogant and never under any illusions about his ability - - he knows precisely how good he is and never tries to hide it at the track. Off the track he has a good sense of humor when enjoying the company of other people. At the track he never passes up the chance to thank fans and of course Mercedes. Clearly Mercedes has mastered the ability to make cars not only fast but easy to drive - - if you heard the pit reporter who had the rare chance to drive this year’s car at speed. Many driver's think they could have accomplished what Lewis has given his race team. Of course that has always been true since anything artificial that equalizes an average driver over a superior driver can be a source of long discussions. Lewis's ability to annualize situations in real time amazes me. I would welcome the chance to have drinks with both Lewis or Vettel, who clearly has a great personality both on and off the track.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

It appears that Ferrari may have been playing a little fast and loose with the rules according to Verstappen https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...ating/4593359/
That said, it does appear that Red Bull had asked for a specific clarification of fuel flow. It seems that F1 uses these "clarifications" as way to to enforce the rules when someone is suspected of "bending" them
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Some of you may be old enough to remember Smokey...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-h...rk-of-one-man/

...and racing goes on.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
Some of you may be old enough to remember Smokey...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-h...rk-of-one-man/

...and racing goes on.
That was good Emil, even if I not a fan of NASCAR . . the 11' fuel line and basketball both cracked me up!
Old 11-07-2019, 04:16 PM

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It's not exactly cheating it's simply not against the rules.

It's called the unfair advantage.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:12 PM

Old 11-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Max on the Pole,in Brazil...Go Max Go.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Yeah, I just watched that. I liked that both Vettel and Hamilton paid a small tribute to Senna.

Quick Reply: F1 2018-2019