S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A few comments.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Default A few comments.

Yes, I was extremely upset with and rude to Rob over what I perceived to be personal attacks. Rob, I do apologize for the poor way in which I handled that situation, but frankly you wore me down with the continuous repitition of the same point and what I perceived to be personal attacks as well.
Martha,

I thank you for the above quoted apology even though I am a little disappointed that it too so long and another fight for you to offer it.

I am not looking to start another fight nor am I looking for an argument but I do want to make a suggestion. I would suggest that you tone down the temper and texture of your comments when you disagree with someone. Whether or not I wore you down with repitition, and perhaps the repitition was necessary because you flew off the handle and refused to listen, is no excuse for the venom that accompanied your comments. And, I really didn't like being called a "sanctimonious little prick" on the forum by Dean when he came to your defense. Whether or not I did anything wrong, there is no reason for that.

I learned a very valuable lesson from our encounter. At first I wasn't posting at all, but now that I've started to post again, I will no longer post topics or participate in topics that could cause you or anyone to put on the attack hat. I am now, and will always be very selective about what I post and what I say in my posts. You've taught me the need for that. The fights that happen are a waste of time, and rather than share my thoughts when I think someone might disagree, I'll just keep them to myself. I think its the forum's loss, you might think differently.

I am, right now, in my hotel room in Lake George at S2KCA's S2KCADays. You would be amazed and disturbed at how many Vintage members have joined S2KCA because of these kind of episodes. Take that for what its worth but everytime there is a disagreement here that spirals down into a fight, S2KCA's membership grows. S2KCA has become the Oasis that Vintage used to be.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, again I apologize for the manner in which I disagreed with you.

Have you even read the original thread that started this "dust up"? A person asking for help and asking someone else to leave their thread alone so they could get help. If you can point out to me how I put on the attack hat or how the temper and texture of my pleas for Jerry to leave me alone could have been toned down, then please let me know.

Also, do you agree that it is ok for a CO to open locked threads without the permission of the OP? If so, then you and I disagree on more things than I imagined.

I do hope you are all having fun. Be safe.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by martha,Sep 27 2008, 03:22 PM
Rob, again I apologize for the manner in which I disagreed with you.

Have you even read the original thread that started this "dust up"? A person asking for help and asking someone else to leave their thread alone so they could get help. If you can point out to me how I put on the attack hat or how the temper and texture of my pleas for Jerry to leave me alone could have been toned down, then please let me know.

Also, do you agree that it is ok for a CO to open locked threads without the permission of the OP? If so, then you and I disagree on more things than I imagined.

I do hope you are all having fun. Be safe.
Martha,

I don't read very many of the threads here anymore, and I didn't have a clue about what your second thread was about. I asked around here and someone told me it was about the e-mail thread. I found it hard to believe that a fight could come out of an e-mail thread, but I glanced at it later in the evening.

What I saw was just Jerry being Jerry. I really didn't understand how that could degenerate into a knock down drag out fight. I though that by now everyone learned to understand everyone else's quirks.

I'm feeling very uncomfortable even discussing this. I really don't want to fight or be involved in any disagreements, so I think I'll stop now.

Thank you for your good wishes. This has really been a terrific meet.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 27 2008, 04:41 PM
Martha,

I don't read very many of the threads here anymore, and I didn't have a clue about what your second thread was about. I asked around here and someone told me it was about the e-mail thread. I found it hard to believe that a fight could come out of an e-mail thread, but I glanced at it later in the evening.

What I saw was just Jerry being Jerry. I really didn't understand how that could degenerate into a knock down drag out fight. I though that by now everyone learned to understand everyone else's quirks.

I'm feeling very uncomfortable even discussing this. I really don't want to fight or be involved in any disagreements, so I think I'll stop now.

Thank you for your good wishes. This has really been a terrific meet.
It would not have become a knock-down drag-out fight as you put it if Jerry wasn't "just being Jerry". Which once again begs the point of why unacceptable behaviour is tolerated for certain people because it's "just X being X".

Enough of this. Stick a fork in me and call me done.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:34 PM

If you want to see unacceptable behavior (I know, I spell it the Ahmurrican way), look to your own husband's posts. The balance of them are bitter and divisive, and add nothing to any particular discussion. He shows no desire to change--maybe as his better half you'll have better luck. Otherwise, I can only think that you either have grown numb to his antics (just Dean being Dean), or show approval of them through inaction.

It would be wonderful if the entire level of discourse in Vint increased. And WOW, it is so incredible to even have to say that. When a bunch of seasoned citizens gets along like 10 tykes with one trike, then perhaps it's time to close the sandbox.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Sep 27 2008, 05:34 PM
If you want to see unacceptable behavior (I know, I spell it the Ahmurrican way), look to your own husband's posts. The balance of them are bitter and divisive, and add nothing to any particular discussion. He shows no desire to change--maybe as his better half you'll have better luck. Otherwise, I can only think that you either have grown numb to his antics (just Dean being Dean), or show approval of them through inaction.

It would be wonderful if the entire level of discourse in Vint increased. And WOW, it is so incredible to even have to say that. When a bunch of seasoned citizens gets along like 10 tykes with one trike, then perhaps it's time to close the sandbox.
First, your status is as a guest here. My understanding is that doesn't afford you the right to have a vote in how things are handled. But, if I am mistaken about that, please stop your whining and do as has been suggested to you numerous times and take your complaints about Dean to the owners of this forum. I find it insulting to both of us that you continue to think that my comments in any way should reflect upon him or conversely that his comments should reflect upon me. We are a married couple, not conjoined twins with one brain.

Personally, I don't find that you add anything to any conversation I've seen here, and if you don't like the level of discourse in Vint, you're free to leave. It isn't as if you'll be wasting a membership fee by doing so.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by martha,Sep 27 2008, 03:22 PM
Also, do you agree that it is ok for a CO to open locked threads without the permission of the OP?
You keep raising this 'charge' while ignoring Jerry's explaination that he didn't realize he was doing something only a CO can do. I don't find that difficult to believe. I know when I was a CO in another forum way-back-when I had no idea what 'powers' I had or didn't have. I wasn't alone. I recall CO sending PM's back and forth trying to figure out how various features worked.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by dlq04,Sep 27 2008, 06:33 PM
You keep raising this 'charge' while ignoring Jerry's explaination that he didn't realize he was doing something only a CO can do. I don't find that difficult to believe. I know when I was a CO in another forum way-back-when I had no idea what 'powers' I had or didn't have. I wasn't alone. I recall CO sending PM's back and forth trying to figure out how various features worked.
Not to hijack this thread further - I have three documented incidences of locked threads being reopened without authorization today. I've also been made aware by others that it has been done before here, and allegedly in at least one other forum. Once is a mistake, twice or more isn't.
The issue is being addressed and I will not be discussing the matter publicly any further. I would appreciate it if you all did the same.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 09-27-2008, 03:20 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Sep 27 2008, 05:46 PM
Not to hijack this thread further - I have three documented incidences of locked threads being reopened without authorization today. I've also been made aware by others that it has been done before here, and allegedly in at least one other forum. Once is a mistake, twice or more isn't.
The issue is being addressed and I will not be discussing the matter publicly any further. I would appreciate it if you all did the same.
FWIW Dean, I've done it several times as CO without knowing I was posting to a locked thread. I'd click on a thread that was recently locked without noticing the little locked sign, come across a post that I wanted to reply to, quote it and post my response. Only when the response popped up a the bottom of the thread did I realize what I had done. That said, the CO then has the power to delete the post to the locked thread, so you can at least undo your own mistake.

Quick Reply: A few comments.