S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

First speeding ticket in years.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No tickets, just three warnings for going nearly twenty over the limit on I-75, within a four month period. Having a cane and a handicap tag has its benefits, I guess. And one trooper was an alumnus of the university where I teach. I did get a ticket for illegal window tint during one of the stops, though.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Bill, the last one I got (9-20-2010) was the reverse of how you got nailed. I was in a 55 mph zone and had just crossed into the 50 mph zone. I just looked down at the S2000 speedo and thought, I need to slow down. Too late. The cop radared me at 64 mph in a 50 mph zone. I tried fighting it with a written declaration and that didn't work so I went to traffic court and asked the judge if I could go to traffic school, which he allowed. I did traffic school online for an additional $50. The ticket cost me $220. So I paid $270 but when you do traffic school here, it keeps the violation off your record.

The last ticket I had before 9-20-2010 was on 5-27-2009. For that one I paid the $202 bail upfront and then filed a written declaration. I won on that one and got a full refund, finally on 9-14-2009. In that case I was also radared but at 65 mph in a 50 mph zone. I paid $25 to TicketAssassin.com for the information they supplied on how to fight a ticket with a written declaration.

Before the ticket on 9-20-2010, I got one on 2-7-2008 for doing 82 mph in a 65 mph zone. I paid the bail amount of $273.00 plus an additional $39 required in order to do traffic school. Then I did traffic school on line paying additional $ to the traffic school.

Before the ticket on 2-7-2008... You get the idea.

It's a good thing I own two Valentine1 radar detectors. It would be worse, otherwise. I haven't ever been in an accident. I do like driving fast but I am a careful driver.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Well, I got back from traffic court, unsuccesful in my bid to beat a ticket. I got the hearing officer to drop it down to a 10 mph infraction, but that was all. Saves me $140 on the ticket, but now I will have to pay more for car insurance. I could have appealed, but chose not to. Just too much time and effort to go through this, and I have to admit that 10 MPH over was about right.

I really dislike the sort of speed trap they used to catch me. They hit you as you leave a 35 MPH zone, just before you enter a 45 MPH zone. You are looking at the sign that says 45 when they hit you with the lazer. The road is two lanes in each direction both before and after the change in speed, so there really is no visible cue that the speed should change. I suppose it could be worse. they could be set up on the 35 side and hit the folks who are just enetering from the 45 side.

There were plenty of people appealing. Most walked out looking down. I think cities and towns need this money more than ever.

So anyway, this got me wondering how all my vintage buds have fared as late? Get any tickets lately? did you fight them? How'd that work out for you?
there is no reputable "ticket busters" or some other type of attorney service in your area that guarantees no points? i have never had my local ticket busters fail in getting me out of points. sure i may have paid $220 in court costs, but at least my insurance didnt go up
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

My last ticket was a long time ago, but I just haven't been caught in a while.
Got stopped on my way to work a few years ago, but he didn't have time to see what speed I was doing.
The stop before that was in Virginia on my way to a wedding in Gettysburg. It was past midnight, small highway, rental car and I was going 80 in a 55! Came over a hill and there was the deputy sitting sideways where SHERIFF was highly visible on the side of the car. He had me dead on radar, but he let me go, and told me the PA cops wouldn't be so nice. My wife was flabbergasted I talked my way out of that one!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 726 Likes on 443 Posts

No tickets for several years. I use cruise control and its easy to slow it down by using the buttons on the steering wheel as you pass in/out of various speed limits. I do not want to lose my safe driving $$ on my insurance nor do I want to invest more $$ in the county's coffers. It also helps that I only drove about 8-9k miles in the past year. It also helps that for 6 or 7 months of the year traffic here is bumper to bumper and you're lucky to get to drive more than 20 miles an hour.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 706 Likes on 478 Posts

Last ticket was for 80 in a 65. Paid the fine but no insurance increase. It was in the S which I sold 2 years ago. I doubt the ol Jeep can make it to 80.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kmiami69
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1363022814' post='22395881
Well, I got back from traffic court, unsuccesful in my bid to beat a ticket. I got the hearing officer to drop it down to a 10 mph infraction, but that was all. Saves me $140 on the ticket, but now I will have to pay more for car insurance. I could have appealed, but chose not to. Just too much time and effort to go through this, and I have to admit that 10 MPH over was about right.

I really dislike the sort of speed trap they used to catch me. They hit you as you leave a 35 MPH zone, just before you enter a 45 MPH zone. You are looking at the sign that says 45 when they hit you with the lazer. The road is two lanes in each direction both before and after the change in speed, so there really is no visible cue that the speed should change. I suppose it could be worse. they could be set up on the 35 side and hit the folks who are just enetering from the 45 side.

There were plenty of people appealing. Most walked out looking down. I think cities and towns need this money more than ever.

So anyway, this got me wondering how all my vintage buds have fared as late? Get any tickets lately? did you fight them? How'd that work out for you?
there is no reputable "ticket busters" or some other type of attorney service in your area that guarantees no points? i have never had my local ticket busters fail in getting me out of points. sure i may have paid $220 in court costs, but at least my insurance didnt go up
No points, but I lose my discount. The way it works here is in two steps. first a hearinng officer, then an appeal to a judge. Cost of lawyer (or even my own time) vs cost of insurance... Over 6 years the insurnace cost will probably come to $1200. To me, it just wasn't worth it.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
Bill, the last one I got (9-20-2010) was the reverse of how you got nailed. I was in a 55 mph zone and had just crossed into the 50 mph zone. I just looked down at the S2000 speedo and thought, I need to slow down. Too late. The cop radared me at 64 mph in a 50 mph zone. I tried fighting it with a written declaration and that didn't work so I went to traffic court and asked the judge if I could go to traffic school, which he allowed. I did traffic school online for an additional $50. The ticket cost me $220. So I paid $270 but when you do traffic school here, it keeps the violation off your record.

The last ticket I had before 9-20-2010 was on 5-27-2009. For that one I paid the $202 bail upfront and then filed a written declaration. I won on that one and got a full refund, finally on 9-14-2009. In that case I was also radared but at 65 mph in a 50 mph zone. I paid $25 to TicketAssassin.com for the information they supplied on how to fight a ticket with a written declaration.

Before the ticket on 9-20-2010, I got one on 2-7-2008 for doing 82 mph in a 65 mph zone. I paid the bail amount of $273.00 plus an additional $39 required in order to do traffic school. Then I did traffic school on line paying additional $ to the traffic school.

Before the ticket on 2-7-2008... You get the idea.

It's a good thing I own two Valentine1 radar detectors. It would be worse, otherwise. I haven't ever been in an accident. I do like driving fast but I am a careful driver.
You're a busy gal, Patty! I should get a V1.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dean
No tickets, just three warnings for going nearly twenty over the limit on I-75, within a four month period. Having a cane and a handicap tag has its benefits, I guess. And one trooper was an alumnus of the university where I teach. I did get a ticket for illegal window tint during one of the stops, though.
Other than the cane and the HC plates, that had been my own experience. With the exception of one out-of-state ticket about six years ago, I had a clean record for at least 15 years. As an old man, I get warnings for things that would have got me arrested 35 years ago. But I think the new economy has the local police cracking down.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Bill, the best thing to do with the V1 is plug it in. I didn't have it in the cars on the last three tickets although I owned it.

Quick Reply: First speeding ticket in years.