S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Foods you love to cook and/or eat

Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

We had some "marble eyes" tonight... cooked a couple different ways. Some on the grill and some on a frying pan. Its been a some time since we have had fresh frozen walleye and a neighbor gave us some. We tried their frying pan recipe but still liked the simple grill method best for flavor... with butter and garlic or whatever (sorry Donna's the cook).
Old 05-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
We had some "marble eyes" tonight... cooked a couple different ways. Some on the grill and some on a frying pan. Its been a some time since we have had fresh frozen walleye and a neighbor gave us some. We tried their frying pan recipe but still liked the simple grill method best for flavor... with butter and garlic or whatever (sorry Donna's the cook).
Sounds tasty. We don't eat as much fish, but we both love it. Dave, if you can get the cooking time and pass it on, I'd appreciate it.

Forgot to toot my own horn here: my folks bought me an Oster (electric) Roaster Smoker a few years back. It's a necessity because I can't have open flames or large gas tanks at my place. I've been enjoying smoking pork tenderloins, boston butts (pulled pork), chicken, vegetables, and cheese, to much tasty results. After doing that for a while, I desperately wanted to expand the repertoire to include brisket and ribs (the BBQ necessities). So, I saw that baby back racks were on sale, so I grabbed a rack, and went to town.

1. Unpackaged the ribs
2. Removed the silver skin underneath, along with some excess hard fat on the top and sides that wasn't really going to cook out.
3. Coated with thin coating of yellow mustard
4. Sprinkled a healthy amount of our "infinity rub" (a mixture of other rubs, salts, etc from our other smoking adventures) on both sides
5. Let sit for 15 minutes
6. While sitting, fired up the Roaster Smoker to 225F
7. Ribs on w/ smoke for two hours.
8. Wrapped ribs in foil, bumped heat to 275F
9. Finished ribs for an hour at 275F.

. . . they came out tender and tasty on the first try. Exactly what I was expecting, which is kinda no fun.

Some things I'm probably going to experiment with:
A. Substitute the mustard with a neutral oil, or add something interesting to the mustard.
B. Wrapping in Saran Wrap and throwing back into the fridge to let the salt impregnate a bit more
C. I love dry ribs (especially when they're tender like these), but a lot of folks love "muddy" ribs, so I'll have to do a run where I add sauce for the last hour or half an hour.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

That all sounds good. I love brisket the most! Yum...
Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Sounds tasty. We don't eat as much fish, but we both love it. Dave, if you can get the cooking time and pass it on, I'd appreciate it.

Forgot to toot my own horn here: my folks bought me an Oster (electric) Roaster Smoker a few years back. It's a necessity because I can't have open flames or large gas tanks at my place. I've been enjoying smoking pork tenderloins, boston butts (pulled pork), chicken, vegetables, and cheese, to much tasty results. After doing that for a while, I desperately wanted to expand the repertoire to include brisket and ribs (the BBQ necessities). So, I saw that baby back racks were on sale, so I grabbed a rack, and went to town.

1. Unpackaged the ribs
2. Removed the silver skin underneath, along with some excess hard fat on the top and sides that wasn't really going to cook out.
3. Coated with thin coating of yellow mustard
4. Sprinkled a healthy amount of our "infinity rub" (a mixture of other rubs, salts, etc from our other smoking adventures) on both sides
5. Let sit for 15 minutes
6. While sitting, fired up the Roaster Smoker to 225F
7. Ribs on w/ smoke for two hours.
8. Wrapped ribs in foil, bumped heat to 275F
9. Finished ribs for an hour at 275F.

. . . they came out tender and tasty on the first try. Exactly what I was expecting, which is kinda no fun.

Some things I'm probably going to experiment with:
A. Substitute the mustard with a neutral oil, or add something interesting to the mustard.
B. Wrapping in Saran Wrap and throwing back into the fridge to let the salt impregnate a bit more
C. I love dry ribs (especially when they're tender like these), but a lot of folks love "muddy" ribs, so I'll have to do a run where I add sauce for the last hour or half an hour.
I do a few things different with my rib. I don't use mustard or oil. I use a Willingham recipe for my rub called his Cambridge rub. If possible I rub them wrap them in aluminum foil and refrigerate over night. I have an electric smoker (yeah I know heresy, but tending a fire is a full time job). I smoke them at 200F for 5-6 hours, bring them in put butter pats on them, wrap in aluminum, and place in the over on 300 for 45 mins. I have had great success with this. As for shoulders and briskets, I have started to sous vide them with amazing results. I do love barbeque.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

^I'll vouch for Ken's BBQ! It's very yummy!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zippy
I have an electric smoker (yeah I know heresy, but tending a fire is a full time job). I smoke them at 200F for 5-6 hours, bring them in put butter pats on them, wrap in aluminum, and place in the over on 300 for 45 mins.
That's actually the blessing with the Oster: it smokes and is basically a slow cooker/oven at the same time. My main reason for using that is San Jose Building/Fire code: the other unit's wood porch is right above me, so no wood flame or propane. Related, the pork shoulders have been predictable, but it's a big enough piece of meat to warrant the "Texas Crutch" on that last hour.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:58 AM

We try to avoid too many carbs, but I am making Kalamata olive bread in the bread machine - using wheat flour. So *relatively* healthy.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
We try to avoid too many carbs, but I am making Kalamata olive bread in the bread machine - using wheat flour. So *relatively* healthy.
Healthier than many! I do love some olives and wheat bread, so
Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Got a recommendation for a good Cuban place downtown some time ago and finally tried it out. Delish!!!!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 1,109 Likes on 989 Posts

When you are seasoning/marinating beef, pork, chicken, do you put the meat back into fridge or leave it out at room temp?

Quick Reply: Foods you love to cook and/or eat