S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Foods you love to cook and/or eat

Old 05-17-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Made a big batch of homemade spaghetti sauce last week that was awesome. I plan to make some pasta stuff again this weekend. I like making an Alfredo based sauce with sundried tomatoes and pesto to go over chicken and pasta. That one always goes over well in the house
That sounds tasty, it goes well with my high carb diet. lol. Being Italian Canadian I just have to eat carbs. My grandmother ate carbs three times per day her entire life and she lived until 94, she never exercised a day in her life either. Carbs and white flour never killed anyone AFAIK. lol

I like to make penne with roasted chicken (well carmelized), spinach, onions, garlic, in olive oil , and egg. One of my go to dinners each week, easy, quick, and everyone in the house loves it, don't forget the Parmagiano Reggiano, some hot pepper flakes, and pickled hot peppers on the side.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
That sounds tasty, it goes well with my high carb diet. lol. Being Italian Canadian I just have to eat carbs. My grandmother ate carbs three times per day her entire life and she lived until 94, she never exercised a day in her life either. Carbs and white flour never killed anyone AFAIK. lol
While it may be true that carbs and white flour never killed anyone, for people with the genetic predisposition to diabetes, it is wise to limit the amount of carbs.

My father and older sister both had adult-onset diabetes. My father was diagnosed with it around age 65, and my older sister at just under age 60.

I am border-line prediabetic, so I am doing all that I can to avoid becoming diabetic. So far, I'm doing well at age 72, and I hope to never be diagnosed with diabetes.

(While diet and exercise may play a part in diabetes, genetics is a very strong factor, too.)
Old 05-17-2019, 07:46 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

We went to one of our usual Friday night hangouts. Our friend and bartender made homemade spaghetti and meat balls, horseradish cheese on some special local bread, and carrot cake plus more. It may not sound like it should go together but you don't know him and his cooking. Life in a small city is rough some times. He does this every Friday night. Just because he can. And its all you can eat for free. Tonight was great and we left him a very good tip. Just because we can.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
We went to one of our usual Friday night hangouts. Our friend and bartender made homemade spaghetti and meat balls, horseradish cheese on some special local bread, and carrot cake plus more. It may not sound like it should go together but you don't know him and his cooking. Life in a small city is rough some times. He does this every Friday night. Just because he can. And its all you can eat for free. Tonight was great and we left him a very good tip. Just because we can.
That would almost be worth the drive, sounds great. Where in MI are you ? The wife and I have spent many weekends around Frankenmuth, a made a few trips to South Haven (Gingerman Raceway) , I've caught a few races at MIS too, always had a great time in MI , never been a fan of Detroit though.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Fixed Calimex enchiladas for the seven in our family last night.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Cajun Pastrami Jambalaya

Just for fun.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:35 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Uhoh...I usually get the Unwich from Jimmy John's - lettuce instead of bread. But they have a new, supposedly limited time, sandwich called the Frenchie. It is really, really good. Involves bread. The +1 and I had one yesterday. Gotta be careful now.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:34 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Made barbacoa last night. Just ate it for lunch again today. A friends wife who grew up in Acapulco gave me the recipe she uses. First time I made it I did not have avacado leaves, this time I did. I can say that they certainly made a good difference!

Some barbacoa meat, cilantro, feta, avacado, red onions, sour cream and hot sauce on a tortilla makes me a happy man!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Caroll Shelby’s Chili.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

My beloved took the day off yesterday.
The intent was to go golfing but the weather never really cooperated.
She decided to celebrate our new counters by making some cookies.
They were a molasses ginger snaps and they were really good. Nice and tender with a nice soft texture.
The cookies made me think of the Georgia peach ice cream sugar cookie sandwiches we had at Augusta National.
So as quick as Bob's your uncle we were of to Rota Springs ice cream to get some home made peach ice cream.

And into the freezer they went. Hmmmmmmm

Quick Reply: Foods you love to cook and/or eat