S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Foods you love to cook and/or eat

Old 09-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Our local Mediterranean deli makes a delicious Greek pizza. Try to avoid pizza most of the time, though.

Went to the Wed market in the plaza up the street. Got stuff from the pickle man (dill spears) and Turkish lady (spinach/feta borek and red lentil spread). Will have the borek tonight with Greek chicken. Yum...as you can see, we like Greek/Turkish/Lebanese/etc.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

My wife has learned to make stuffed eggplant based on an old Italian recipe my mother cooked for years. We love it. The smaller the eggplants the better, it is very filling and the texture is almost meaty like. My wife is Portuguese but she has picked up on the recipe quite well. We had it tonight with a tomato salad, yum.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

French Toast made with sourdough bread, plus after you make the standard egg mixture add lemon or orange extrack to it for a very rich taste. Quick and easy.

Rod
Old 09-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
My wife has learned to make stuffed eggplant based on an old Italian recipe my mother cooked for years. We love it. The smaller the eggplants the better, it is very filling and the texture is almost meaty like. My wife is Portuguese but she has picked up on the recipe quite well. We had it tonight with a tomato salad, yum.
What does she stuff the eggplant with? I make eggplant parmesan occasionally. The +1's mother is a wonderful Italian cook. I also make her sauce w/meatball recipe and use some of it for lasagna. I have made chicken cacciatore in the crockpot, but it's been a long time. Need to have that one again. Hard to go wrong with Italian food.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I also love bacon but my Doc says not to eat to much of it. We BBQ a rolled turkey breast(flatten before cooking) that you stuff with whatever you like, roll it up, wrap it in bacon then tie with string or use metal skewers. Well the Turkey is good for me.

Rod
Had to add a note, on our way back home from our cross country drive(in the S)We came across a restaurant(in the south) that had " Country Fried Bacon" If we had this in Calif. I'd be dead in a month. Country Fried Bacon with a side of country gravy, I can feel my arteries starting to clog just by thinking about it.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Not the best picture, but all I could get of the leftovers. This isn't a well known recipe, kind of an old peasant recipe from southern Italy , I have never seen it in any restaurant or cook book.

You basically cut the eggplant in half, and boil them in water until they soften up really good. You then scoop out the insides of the "meaty stuff" and put it in to a bowl, keeping the black skins to fill later on. The soft internals are mixed with bread crumbs, garlic, mozzarella cheese, parmagiano grated cheese, parsley, black pepper, salt, paprika, oregano, eggs, bit of olive oil. Then you fill the black skins and bake them in the oven in a tray, once the tops dry out a bit you cover them in your favourite tomato sauce and bake a bit longer and serve them piping hot. You an add a bit more parmagiano grated cheese on top if desired. Good comfort food, you can serve this with pasta or rice or any other side dish, crusty bread etc. We used six small eggplants today, easily fed 3 of us, and we still have 5 halves left over. Three small halves are good for me, if using larger sized eggplants a couple large ones go a long way too. The smaller ones are in season right now - Italian eggplant referred to in our parts. They taste even better the next day.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by rrounds
I also love bacon but my Doc says not to eat to much of it. We BBQ a rolled turkey breast(flatten before cooking) that you stuff with whatever you like, roll it up, wrap it in bacon then tie with string or use metal skewers. Well the Turkey is good for me.

Rod
Had to add a note, on our way back home from our cross country drive(in the S)We came across a restaurant(in the south) that had " Country Fried Bacon" If we had this in Calif. I'd be dead in a month. Country Fried Bacon with a side of country gravy, I can feel my arteries starting to clog just by thinking about it.
If you eat in the South at all you'd be dead in a month. Really good, though. And bacon is good alone or with anything. Another item I try to avoid most of the time. Except when I get the bacon cheese dog at Five Guys maybe twice a year.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:30 AM

Received 2,562 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Candied bacon!
Old 09-19-2019, 04:43 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Candied bacon!
...and fried okras...
Old 09-19-2019, 04:50 AM

^ Have you had fried pickles? Delish...

Quick Reply: Foods you love to cook and/or eat