S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Got a computer question - Ask a geek

Old 09-25-2013, 10:44 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1380127578' post='22796029
What you all are talking about.
Sorry. We slipped into geek speak on you. Not really hypercritical stuff.

Basically, your fan on full issues could be caused be a vast array of things and it's the sort of thing that we can conjecture on and maybe hit the mark, but it's best if a tech person were to lay hands on it. A remote session may be helpful, but unless the cause is a settings adjustment, the remote session may end up a bust. For instance, if it's a matter of dust build up on the fans and case openings (seems unlikely to be the root cause if the fans actually slow down once you move the mouse and create any sort of "use" activity on the PC, but for the sake of discussion...), then a remote session won't really do much.

If I were a betting woman (which I'm not), I wouldn't suspect dust build up to be the root cause. That stated, home environments -- particularly with pets (cat hair is the worst!!) in them, are very very hard on PCs when it comes to dust build-up inside the case. WAY worse than just about any office environment I've ever seen (note that I said just about... there have been a couple of exceptions). So regardless, it's good practice to run a vacuum over at least the exterior of your PC case and the various ventilation spots on it every so often to minimize dust build-up.
No problem...I'm easily amused.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what fan is changing speed?

The one you can see from the back of the PC, or the one sitting on your CPU, or case fan?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 5,009 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Windows talk - it's always about this problem, that problem, the past problem, the next problem..... to which I say (having been a Windows user for 35+ years), go iMac.

PS- As I mentioned earlier I made a giant leap forward in software from Feb 2011 to Sep 2013 and it took me two minutes to adjust and two days to check out the new features. Apple is user friendly.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000

The one you can see from the back of the PC, or the one sitting on your CPU, or case fan?
I'm really not sure, we just hear fan noise.

Well we think it's fan noise, maybe it's something else.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000' timestamp='1380136904' post='22796391

I'm really not sure, we just hear fan noise.

Well we think it's fan noise, maybe it's something else.
If possible, put the pc out from its hiding spot, where you can get to it..... pop the cover and leave the cover off and try to identify which fan is making the noise.

If its not a fan, maybe gremlins?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

It could also be the fan on the video card. I've had to replace three video cards due to the fan. In one instance a few of the fan blades broke off causing the fan to be out of balance and making a grinding noise. Eventually the fan stopped working, the video car overheated and the computer shut down. In the other two instances, the video card fans just stopped working and the computers would shut down until they cooled off.

I never was able to figure out why some of the blades broke off of the fan in the first instance, but it could have been a buildup of dust.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1380127578' post='22796029
Windows talk - it's always about this problem, that problem, the past problem, the next problem..... to which I say (having been a Windows user for 35+ years), go iMac.

PS- As I mentioned earlier I made a giant leap forward in software from Feb 2011 to Sep 2013 and it took me two minutes to adjust and two days to check out the new features. Apple is user friendly.
Problem is that most of the software that I use and need is written only for Windows and will not run on the Mac OS. That might change when software providers go completely into the cloud and the software that I need becomes SaaS. Until then, I have to run Windows.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

You can get the 8.1 preview here, for those who want to try it out.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-8/preview-iso

I downloaded it over the weekend, but haven't set it up on anything yet.

Originally Posted by boltonblue' timestamp='1380104933' post='22795402
can you run win8 as a virtual machine on win 7?
You know, I hadn't considered that, but I can't think of any good reason why you couldn't install it on Windows Virtual PC that comes with Win7. So long as the PC you are running Win7 on has enough RAM and HD space, it should be quite doable. Excellent for testing it out, learning, etc.
Well, so much for that grand plan. I tossed an extra drive I had laying around into my PC, fired up Virtual PC and told it to run the Win8.1 Preview ISO I downloaded over the weekend. Um... yeah, no dice. Claims I don't have a 64 bit processor, but of course I do. Quick google search reveals you can't run a 64 bit guest OS in Virtual PC. Lame! I'm thinking Virtual Box is about to become my friend.

It feels nice to do some tech work on my own crap for myself for a change (and not because something broke). Honestly, I've been burnt out trying to keep up with client stuff the last couple of weeks and it's quite pleasant to just play with something for myself. well, okay, it's so I can learn about the new OS more for work and not just strictly for myself, but still...
Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 982 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1380125425' post='22795954
You can get the 8.1 preview here, for those who want to try it out.

http://windows.micro...s-8/preview-iso

I downloaded it over the weekend, but haven't set it up on anything yet.

[quote name='boltonblue' timestamp='1380104933' post='22795402']
can you run win8 as a virtual machine on win 7?
You know, I hadn't considered that, but I can't think of any good reason why you couldn't install it on Windows Virtual PC that comes with Win7. So long as the PC you are running Win7 on has enough RAM and HD space, it should be quite doable. Excellent for testing it out, learning, etc.
Well, so much for that grand plan. I tossed an extra drive I had laying around into my PC, fired up Virtual PC and told it to run the Win8.1 Preview ISO I downloaded over the weekend. Um... yeah, no dice. Claims I don't have a 64 bit processor, but of course I do. Quick google search reveals you can't run a 64 bit guest OS in Virtual PC. Lame! I'm thinking Virtual Box is about to become my friend.

It feels nice to do some tech work on my own crap for myself for a change (and not because something broke). Honestly, I've been burnt out trying to keep up with client stuff the last couple of weeks and it's quite pleasant to just play with something for myself. well, okay, it's so I can learn about the new OS more for work and not just strictly for myself, but still...
[/quote]
Virtual box and VMWare both support 64bit O/S. Easiest thing in the world to implement.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,394 Posts

OK lainey this is easy. Your computer has an operating system.
This is the program that talks to the hardware directly, runs the displays etc.
It can be windows Xp, vista windows 7, linux, etc.

Each version is different in how it does it's task. So sometimes this means a device written to work with Xp won't work anymore with Windows 7.
This is really annoying if you dropped a lot of coin on a really good scanner for example and HP decided "screw you!! were not updating the driver, buy a new scanner. "

So what the operating systems can do is carve out a section of disk for another operating system to run and give it time to run.
It really isn't controlling the hardware in the same way so it's a virtual operating system, it's running just as another program is.
So for example I have a virtual Xp window open and run my scanner in that window.
The old programs work because they think they are running in Xp land.

Quick Reply: Got a computer question - Ask a geek