S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Got a computer question - Ask a geek

Old 10-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
^
Thanks Roseanne! I'll check both ways. It is weird how these things pop up.

As far as the fan, my computer is so quiet now, hoping it's not like the alternator belt on an old car. If it is, I'll be computer shopping. Maybe that's not a bad thing.
Yeah I meant the Startup folder. It's a bit more easy to see and understand than using msconfig but either will work.

You could take the cover back off and run the computer to see if all the fans are running. If the blades aren't spinning at all or you can see them individually then you've got a problem although they can all be replaced.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Received 2,851 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1383070901' post='22852126
^
Thanks Roseanne! I'll check both ways. It is weird how these things pop up.

As far as the fan, my computer is so quiet now, hoping it's not like the alternator belt on an old car. If it is, I'll be computer shopping. Maybe that's not a bad thing.
Yeah I meant the Startup folder. It's a bit more easy to see and understand than using msconfig but either will work.

You could take the cover back off and run the computer to see if all the fans are running. If the blades aren't spinning at all or you can see them individually then you've got a problem although they can all be replaced.
Nothing unusual in start up, not sure what to look for in mscofig. I think the fans are running. Maybe I'll just wait for the darn thing to blow up.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 1,441 Likes on 782 Posts

OK, computer is still nice and quiet, no fan or other noises. Next question.

When I got back from vacation and booted up the computer, I'm now getting a "Run as" box. I am the only user and administrator. What is up with that? I select myself and move on., but it's there every morning.

Do I have a gremlin? Did I log off instead of shut down at one point? I ran MalAwares scan, as well as Microsoft Security Essentials, nothing looked on line a bit, others have had issue, but I didn't see a real fix.

What suggestions do you smart computer folks have?
Did you try this? http://marksxp.mvps.org/WindowsXP/welskip.php
Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing unusual in start up, not sure what to look for in mscofig. I think the fans are running. Maybe I'll just wait for the darn thing to blow up...
Sweet. Maybe you can be the next guinea pig for Windows 8.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

8.1 is out. If you are gonna try something new and be all cutting edge, may as well do it with the absolute latest craziness.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM

You geeks will love this, I tested one fan my sticking a pen cap in the back of the computer, yep made a noise like something hitting a fan. I guess the fan is running............or was.

Gene, I'll check that fix out tomorrow. I am ensconced in my recliner already. Fuzzy robe, socks, a blanket a box of tissues, net book on lap, and hand sanitizer by my side. cold germs came back out to "play" with me.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

^^ Lol! Corner of a business card or a piece of paper is my preferred spinning fan tester.

It's not probable that your overactive fan died though. It wasn't squealing. Just going crazy full throttle at idle.

Run it until it dies or pisses you off enough to make it go away. If you have good backups, it's probably not a big deal to let it die. You do have good backups, right? Mozy, Carbonite, Crashplan, or something along those lines?
Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
^^ Lol! Corner of a business card or a piece of paper is my preferred spinning fan tester.

It's not probable that your overactive fan died though. It wasn't squealing. Just going crazy full throttle at idle.

Run it until it dies or pisses you off enough to make it go away. If you have good backups, it's probably not a big deal to let it die. You do have good backups, right? Mozy, Carbonite, Crashplan, or something along those lines?
The only thing I care about on my PC is/are my pictures. I have them on an external drive. Probably should have a back up to the back up.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Lainey-

Do you mean after logging in or starting up you get the Run As... box, similar to the dialog box that opens when you click Start then Run (or hit the Windows key and 'R' at the same time)? OR, do you mean to login you get a login prompt with your user to login with?
Or is it when you start up programs?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
8.1 is out. If you are gonna try something new and be all cutting edge, may as well do it with the absolute latest craziness.
I'm running 8.1 on three machines. I like it so far but there are compatibility issues with some software and one machine dropped its printers and wont allow them to be reinstalled.

Quick Reply: Got a computer question - Ask a geek