S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

At home exercise equipment - do you have/use it?

Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Timely thread for me. I just ditched my expensive cherry dining room set, which was RARELY ever used, and am having a Life Fitness gym delivered tomorrow. I already have a treadmill that will also go in the space. Dining rooms are wasted square footage in my life. Prime real estate, particularly without a basement here at the coast. Soooo, my floorplan is wide open and this stuff will be open for all to see. I don't care.

I'm one of those people who won't go to the gym (hell, we have a fitness center in the Amenities Center about 50 yards away), but if I have the equipment in my house, I will use it 6 days/wk.

I'm excited to get started again. When I lived in Ohio I had a nice setup in my basement. Too expensive to move so I sold it for dirt. Got out of the habit down here and it shows. I've got to keep up with a 4 year old now and keep myself fit and healthy so I can be around as she grows. Good motivation.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,479 Posts

Connie get a bosu ball for core work.

It's like a half a ball on a platform.
instant agony.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Nov 4 2009, 08:55 PM

I'm one of those people who won't go to the gym (hell, we have a fitness center in the Amenities Center about 50 yards away), but if I have the equipment in my house, I will use it 6 days/wk.
Carmen

I've never had any interest in going to a gym. For years I attended an aerobic dance class that was great exercise. Never found anything that interested me since.

We like to walk, but in the Northeast, walking season is limited, especially if work/life get in the way.

The treadmill is fine, does the trick. The trick is to get on it.

Here's a question, do you folks, run, walk, stroll, or jog on the treadmill?

I do 3.7 mph which feels comfortable....a little warm up and cool down, but total time generally won't exceed 40 minutes. I use little hand weights too (very light) to add a little extra to the "routine".
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 475 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Nov 4 2009, 10:51 PM
Here's a question, do you folks, run, walk, stroll, or jog on the treadmill?
We hang clothes on ours.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA,Nov 4 2009, 09:57 PM
We hang clothes on ours.
According to the poll vote, it appears someone else also uses the treadmill for the closet annex...then there are those whose exercise equipment gets the regular dusting.

Matt.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a timely thread for me. I'm trying to get back into the habit of using the cross country ski machine 3-4 times per week. My workout is to spend about 5-6 minutes warming up, turn on the heart rate monitor, then keep the pace within the programmed range for 24 minutes. Odd, I know, but it works for me.

I need to get the morning cross country ski session ingrained so that I can add some evening weight work...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Connie get a bosu ball for core work." Ouch!

I tried one of theoe at a gym and I maybe that's what I need to get my abs to the next level (any level actually, who am I kidding!).

Also, I do my weight training in the AM; since I use free weights, I need to pay attention to technique. I prefer cardio in the evening. I don't need the mental focus and it's a good de-stresser after work. That's if I'm not unwinding with friends over cocktails!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I've got one of those balls but mine's more of a capsule shape. I was taught how to use the ball for core strengthening after my ruptured disc in 2005, so I still do it with my capsule a few times a week. I lay on my back and pass the capsule from my shins to my hands, and then back and forth, doing crunches in the process.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 AM

^
what do you ladies do to distract yourself while using those exercise balls, and weights, and the like? Blast music, watch TV?

I find that kind of exercise sooooooooo boring. I only get through the treadmill if I have music in my ears.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning, watch the news on TV. That's all the news I need for the day since it is endlessly repeated. Cardio at night? If I'm walking outdoors, I take nothing with me except pepper spray and my cell phone! I don't listen to music since I want to be sure I'm not distracted. If I'm on the treadmill or the bike trainer, it's watching TV or a program that I have recorded. If it's the nordic track, which is in the basement, its music.

I know it can be boring but I keep my eye on the prize!

Quick Reply: At home exercise equipment - do you have/use it?