S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

How did you find S2ki and Vintage?

Old 06-12-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 2,794 Likes on 1,636 Posts
Default How did you find S2ki and Vintage?

We were talking at dinner at SF about how we found this web site and Vintage. I'd be interested to hear how people "landed" here. We may have discussed this in the past, but we have quite a few new members so it would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

Rick found S2ki on Google, while doing some surfing. He pointed it out to me, and I've been here ever since.

Actually, I started in New England but wondered if 40+ plus folks would fit in. Turns out we do, but Legal Bill also suggested I check out this forum.

I'm glad he did.

How about you?
Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the site while I was a member of the "other" S2000 site. I was the only member in PA and was complaining to the sole member in Maryland about the lack of enthusiasm, he directed me to our site. When I first joined I was joking with another local member and he said "your an old guy, you should check out the Vintage section. It is such a pleasure to meet and talk with people that have similiar interests and are not always talking about how to get another 3 hp from their engines. I met a lot of great people last weekend and like it or not I'm here for the long run.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 2,794 Likes on 1,636 Posts

We like it, Maury.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Immediately after I bought my S2000 in August of 2002, I did a search just to see if there was a website. I found this site and S2KCA. I started posting on both, and to this day I belong to both. This site seemed to have more action and was more interesting so I spent most of my time here.

I became active in my local club, NYC Metro, and in S2000Talk. About a year later (give or take a few months) Jerry (pas2k) found a thread by a long departed member, Crabby Guy, titled "Older S2000 Owners". At the same time a few of us took over the weather thread, "Rain again, again" and turned it into our own private forum. Rain again became home to MsPerky, OhioRacer, Tomcatt, Kyras, myself and a few others who were to become some of the original Vintage members.

Between the two threads we, Jerry, Deb, myself, Dave (dlq04). Gene (Jukngene), Marc (Sleepwalker) and a few others came up with the idea of a forum, a corner of the site so to speak, where those of us over 40 could talk about the things that were of interest to us, in plain, simple, proper language. A place where there would be no flames, noise and nonsense.

We appealed to HondaGal and Cthree, and within about three months there was a Vintage forum. Deb and I became the moderators, later changed to the title of Community Organizer. Powermaker came up with the badge, and the rest is history.

In the fall of 2003 many of us attended Fall Colors. For a great number of us in Vintage it was our first major meet, and the very first time we got to meet one another. The relationships that were formed in Vintage were solidified at that Fall Colors. We even had our own Vintage drive group led by Jerry.

Sometime in early 2004 Rick Hesel decided to organize a meet just for Vintage, and in April or May of 2004 the first Spring Fling was held in Timintun (sp), MD. That was the start of the Vintage meets.

Who could ever have imagined back then that from those humble beginnings we would form the premier forum on the internet.

That's how I found this place.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

When I was in the market for a sports car in 2002 I had a long list of candidates. Those who have been around for a while know my eclectic style of shopping for cars. Make a list of everything that is interesting and go drive it all. Anyway, as part of that process I do a ton of research. I looked for owner forums for just about every car I was loooking at and found this one for the S2000. I found this site to be delightful. Just brimming over with useful information about the car. I learned about the few weakpoints, the best way to take delivery, the break-in period, etc, all before I even went for the test drive. After I bought the car I posted in S2000 talk as a new mwmber. I still remember Dave giving me a welcome. Then I found New England and they invited me to a meet right away, which I gladly attended.

In those days I hung out in Under the Hood, New England, and Racing and Competition. Now and then I'd wander over to S2000 talk and participated in the "what cars did you own" thread.

One day I noticed the "Older S2000 Owners" thread and read through it. About a week later I went back and read it again to find out they were starting their own forum. I think if you go back to that thread you can find my post. Some time later I saw the Vintage forum on the menu page and signed up.

Like Rob, I went to FC 03 and met the whole gang in person. I came up with the New England crew and we met Rob and the NY Metro crew at a shopping mall. About 30 of us drove across Pennsylvania in a caravan. Just great. Once in the hotel, Vintage took Rick up on his offer of a party suite and spent the whole weekend together with plenty of pre-vints dropping by to hang out.

After that I was hooked.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Jun 12 2006, 09:58 PM] Like Rob, I went to FC 03 and met the whole gang in person.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 PM

A friend of mine from Colorado on the ST-Rider list (Honda ST1100 & ST1300) who owns a S2000 told me about this BB. Thanks Rod.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM

I started surfing the s2ki forum soon after I bought the car in 2001 - mostly looking for pointers and aftermarket parts and ideas. I started looking at the Vintage Forum some time after FC04. However, I did not spend much time in any of the forums until after I got a laptop. Now, the convenience has become a 2-3 times a day habit and enjoyment. In addition, I've become much more interested in what's going on and what other Vints have to say. Plus, it's fun, and meetings like the SF06 will keep me even more interested.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Found this site about a month before I got my car. The day I bought it I also registered as a member to this site, that was back in 02. Have followed the Vintage scene since the beginning and check in most days.
Then there are the Vintage gatherings, all I can say if you go to 1 you're hooked for life. It's the people here that make this site great!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:39 AM

Received 726 Likes on 443 Posts

Found the site before I got my car, joined the day after I got my car. Went to a Mid-Atlantic meet in Charlottesville a few months later and was hooked!! When Vintage got its own forum I joined a month or so later (before the badge was designed). Went to Rick's first Spring Fling in Maryland and have hung out on the site ever since. I try to make as many meets as I can and at least one a year.

Quick Reply: How did you find S2ki and Vintage?