S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

If you could do one thing over...

Old 09-21-2005, 05:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

^ Dean, I hear you! I'm glad I chose to work in the computer biz, but I can't help thinking that I missed something.

I often think of returning to school to pursue the sciences. If I ever get to a situation where I can realistically do it, I probably will. What admittedly scares me is that my mind retains so little of all that wonderful deductive learning that school brought. It would be like starting from scratch again -- and doing so with a Vintage brain, rather than the learning sponge I used to have.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

My main career regret was trusting my ex-partner when....as a result of Quaker counseling....he convinced my to revise our 50/50 partnership agreement. This gave him the freedom (a year later) to covertly put in place an 'unfriendly takeover' and force me out @ 50 cents on the dollar of value at the tender age of 52. OTOH, I've learned a lot as a result of the subsequent re-inventing myself....including my current self-employed consulting work. Maybe it was all for the best

Looking forward, I hope to relocate in the next 5-7 years to a small college community and pursue some of the Liberal Arts courses that I missed in a concentrated professional program like architecture.

Good topic, Chazmo
Old 09-21-2005, 05:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokee,Sep 21 2005, 03:22 AM
Wish I'd joined the marching band rather than the sports teams in high school. All the jocks are fat and arthritic now but the marching band folks are still making music.
Smokee, maybe you're right, but the jocks got the girls... And we all know what's important, right?!

Seriously, like Traveler, I've kept the music going most of my life. Marching band gave way to orchestras and brass ensembles. Most of my social life as a single guy revolved around music in one way or another.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Sep 21 2005, 09:52 AM
My main career regret was trusting my ex-partner when....

The damnedest thing is that they told me to play by the rules and I'd succeed. That was supposed to be the way things were in America. I did, but my expartners didn't, and I discovered an awful lot of inventory missing. I don't know if I'd be smart enough to do differently if I had it to do over, but I do know it'll never happen to me again.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Sep 21 2005, 09:51 AM
I often think of returning to school to pursue the sciences. If I ever get to a situation where I can realistically do it, I probably will. What admittedly scares me is that my mind retains so little of all that wonderful deductive learning that school brought. It would be like starting from scratch again -- and doing so with a Vintage brain, rather than the learning sponge I used to have.
Don't let that concern you a bit. Based on my experience, non traditional (older returning) students outperform their younger counterparts as a general rule. Maturity, motivation, commitment, the ability to prioritize, and life experience play a huge role in academic success. You'll also be very surprised at what your brain is capable of once you start challenging it with new things. While it's true that it's somewhat easier for the young to learn new things because their brains are a bit more plastic, I've never had or known an older student who was not up to the mental challenge. And I teach some rather advanced, complex subjects.
The other rationale for their reluctance that I hear quite often from older folks considering a return to school is, "Gee, if I go back to school I'll be 'X' number of years old by the time I graduate". To which I invariably reply, "How old will you be in that time if you don't go back to school?" It stops them in their tracks every time.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:46 AM

Received 3,030 Likes on 1,680 Posts

[QUOTE=Chazmo,Sep 20 2005, 09:29 PM]
All I can come up with is that I regret that I didn't push myself to work harder and delve deeper into the sciences that I studied back in school.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:10 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Sep 21 2005, 10:36 AM
Don't let that concern you a bit. Based on my experience, non traditional (older returning) students outperform their younger counterparts as a general rule. Maturity, motivation, commitment, the ability to prioritize, and life experience play a huge role in academic success. You'll also be very surprised at what your brain is capable of once you start challenging it with new things. While it's true that it's somewhat easier for the young to learn new things because their brains are a bit more plastic, I've never had or known an older student who was not up to the mental challenge. And I teach some rather advanced, complex subjects.
The other rationale for their reluctance that I hear quite often from older folks considering a return to school is, "Gee, if I go back to school I'll be 'X' number of years old by the time I graduate". To which I invariably reply, "How old will you be in that time if you don't go back to school?" It stops them in their tracks every time.
The problem isn't the ability to learn. That's easy. Even though our brains are not quite as "plastic" as people in their twenties we more than make up for it with drive and desire.

The problem is more emotional. Once you get out with your new degree and your new career you will find yourself starting at the bottom again. Not always a fun place to be when you are in your mid fourties or later. Especially, if you achieved anything at all in your first career. You will find yourself biting your lip an awful lot in order to resist the urge to tell those giving you the instructions and repremanding you off.

For some strange reason, younger people get a special delight ordering older career changers around. I've often felt that they have something to prove.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Sep 20 2005, 11:29 PM
What about you?
Oh, ask me again on Monday about my decision not to get flood insurance.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ralper,Sep 21 2005, 11:10 AM
The problem is more emotional. Once you get out with your new degree and your new career you will find yourself starting at the bottom again. Not always a fun place to be when you are in your mid fourties or later. Especially, if you achieved anything at all in your first career.

You will find yourself biting your lip an awful lot in order to resist the urge to tell those giving you the instructions and repremanding you off.
That's probably true, but I've never heard a student express those concerns. I don't don't think that many people look that far ahead. They're too focussed and hung-up on the issue of returning to school to see that far into the future. Most of my older students have ended up in a better position either by moving upward financially, or moving laterally to jobs that they enjoy much more than their previous occupations.

Those are things that I have never been accused of doing, even though I am, in essence, starting over again with no tenure and no real clout. Of course, not everyone is as willing as I am to cut off his/her nose to spite his/her face when it comes to principles.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:07 AM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I have no complaints. No one wants to hear people complain anyway. For the most part, life has been good. As far as the any of the "not so good things" we learn from our mistakes and move on.

The one thing I do wonder about is how things would be different if I'd taken a job I was offered a long time ago. I had some doubts, so I stayed at the job I was at, and am still there. I was not thinking long term.

The job was at a local school. The benefits were better than what I had, but money was an issue, as the mortgage was new. It would have provided more time off in the event of an illness (something we all start to think about ), and would have allowed me to take health insurance with me upon retirement, and overall would have provided more security down the line.

But, unless they want to hire me now, I guess I'll stay put.

Quick Reply: If you could do one thing over...