S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Jerky

Old 03-28-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
I don't care for Jerky very much, but my husband does.

We've never made our own, but we occasionally buy it at Costco.
I haven't bothered to explore the reason for this but every time I offer people a piece of my jerkey, most men take it and all the women decline.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 AM

Received 4,961 Likes on 3,005 Posts

OMG, too funny. Who thinks this stuff up. Furnace filter, fan, etc. Not surprised to see Worcestershire sauce on the list; I always figure that & the beef are two main items.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I haven't bothered to explore the reason for this but every time I offer people a piece of my jerkey, most men take it and all the women decline.
Not my wife, she likes it but not as much as I do.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
OMG, too funny. Who thinks this stuff up. Furnace filter, fan, etc. Not surprised to see Worcestershire sauce on the list; I always figure that & the beef are two main items.
Ha ha. I was already thinking up improvements, like stuffing foam around the four sides of the fan to filter the air before it even enters the system.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by dlq04
Not my wife, she likes it but not as much as I do.
Well, she's a horse gal. We all know you need a good stash of jerkey before you head out on the trail.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Well, she's a horse gal. We all know you need a good stash of jerkey before you head out on the trail.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

I don't like the texture of it.

Too hard to chew...at least the ones that I've had.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Bingo. That's my problem with it as well, Dave. All it is is lean beef that has been marinated and then dried. Turns out it is pretty easy to make at home, but people who make it at home tell me that using an air fryer is much faster than the simple fan and dehydrator box. But now I'm not sure I'll make and eat enough to bother with the expense of the air fryer. For the real skin-flint DIYer, there is this interesting method:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...an-beef-jerky/
I skimmed through the recipe. Looks like we have most of the ingredients, but it looks like more trouble than it is worth, especially since I don't like Beef Jerky anyway. (Besides, most of the stuff is still packed away as we are having our kitchen remodeled.)

I guess I shouldn't have gotten rid of the furnace filters for our old furnace after we replaced our furnace, and the new one requires a different size filter.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

It is chewey, delicious steak, just like cowboys made in the old west only better. Do yourself a favor and buy a bag. It is marinated beef that has been dried in either a dehydrator or an air fryer (which speeds up the process) and it will last for months at room temperature. You use lean cuts of meat so it is relatively low in fat, but probably high in carbs due to some of the marinades that the commercial companies use.
I think I will. Could be a good cycling snack since there is protein and no sugar carbs. Where do you recommend getting some.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
I don't like the texture of it.

Too hard to chew...at least the ones that I've had.
I had a fellow that worked for me that made his own jerky out of ground top sirloin. It was sooo tender and tasty. I was sorry when he went to another job.

Quick Reply: Jerky