S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Kept alive or allowed to die?
Yes. Keep me alive and hope for the best.
2.63%
No. Unplug me and let me die naturally. DNR order.
44.74%
No. Unplug me and help me die with drugs. DNR order.
44.74%
Put me on an iceberg with the other vintage folks.
7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Kept alive or allowed to die?

Old 11-10-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe that young person dying in pleasure had a "good" death, but not a very good life, in that it wasn't long enough?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally posted by The Professor
Maybe that young person dying in pleasure had a "good" death, but not a very good life, in that it wasn't long enough?
Paul

That is exactly what I was trying to say. No matter how "good" the death, the tragedy of the short life overshadows it.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:58 PM

I feel like I can understand both points of view with regards to a "good" death Vs a short life.

It's always tragic when a young person looses their life in an accident. Someone who's not had the chance to experience the fullness of life that most of us take for granted.

If the person was active in life, loved by their friends and families, then they had a full life as far as I'm concerned. If that life ended doing something they truly enjoyed, that's just icing on the cake. We can dwell on the tragedy of the shortness of their life, or we can dwell on what was joyous and right about the life they lived. That's our choice. Personally, I choose to try to remember what was good and unique about the deceased, and not obsess over how short their life was.

There are millions of people in this world who live a life of depravity simply because they were born in a poor and/or militant country. Children who never get to grow up because of conditions and societies that they were unfortunate enough to be born in.

I guess it depends on your point of view.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:13 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Intrepid175
I feel like I can understand both points of view with regards to a "good" death Vs a short life.

It's always tragic when a young person looses their life in an accident.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:48 AM

Interesting read - we've just gone through getting my wife's parents to complete Power of Attorney for medical and for money. It has taken us 5 years to complete this (he is 86 & she is 80), & they've lived with us for one year now. My father-in-law didn't want to complete the medical form becasue he felt that once done he would die, if he kept putting off then things would be okay. Of course having a form of dementia (he doesn't recoznize & is paranoid) doesn't make it easy - always thinks someone is trying to steal his money or make a decision to hurt him. That's the way he views family but he'll go down the road meet some guy who claims to know about cars & have that guy work on his car, pay him & find out later the guy didn't do anything. Enough of that.

Having the forms completed has taken a lot of stress off my wife. Of course made us look more closely at our lives and make those decisions as well. I've told my wife - pull the plug, cremation, & I don't care what's done with me at that point.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:13 AM

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Great news...As you have said, just having done it is such a relief. When I had my aunt's trust drawn up, because her short-term memory is almost nonexistent, my attorney tape recorded her wishes so there would be no question about conflict of interest on my part, since I'm her responsible party. Everyone should consider tape recording loved one's wishes on whatever if they will agree. I hope to never have to use the recording, because it will be hurtful to some family members. But on it she is very clear about what she wants.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by MsPerky
Great news...As you have said, just having done it is such a relief. When I had my aunt's trust drawn up, because her short-term memory is almost nonexistent, my attorney tape recorded her wishes so there would be no question about conflict of interest on my part, since I'm her responsible party. Everyone should consider tape recording loved one's wishes on whatever if they will agree. I hope to never have to use the recording, because it will be hurtful to some family members. But on it she is very clear about what she wants.
Let's just hope the technology is still around to play the tape! Just think of the person who recorded their wishes on an 8-track.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Hmmm...well maybe I should have said just "recording". Didn't think about that.