S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Life Insurance

Old 11-29-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I always thought the idea behind life insurance was to provide for those left behind if you were to die early. Cover the mortgage, pay for children's education. Once retired, kids gone, home paid for, I don't see a need. If you can't cover the costs on retirement savings, you have bigger problems.
Originally Posted by dlq04
My thoughts as well .... I cashed in any of value when I retired, and cancelled any others
^ Same here. My wife has no life insurance and I only have a small paid up policy [and therefore costs me nothing] that was part of my retirement package. Otherwise I would have none.
During my younger days I only had term insurance...... Could get a lot more coverage for a lot less than any other type.

After death instructions for both of us. No viewing or funeral services [Family may, at expense of the estate spend the night at some resort hotel-with a good bar-and stay the night if too plastered to drive home]; Cremation [neither of us want to take up space in some marble orchard]; Ashes to be spread in ocean [at same place if possible].
Old 11-30-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by trapper
^ Same here. My wife has no life insurance and I only have a small paid up policy [and therefore costs me nothing] that was part of my retirement package. Otherwise I would have none.
During my younger days I only had term insurance...... Could get a lot more coverage for a lot less than any other type.

After death instructions for both of us. No viewing or funeral services [Family may, at expense of the estate spend the night at some resort hotel-with a good bar-and stay the night if too plastered to drive home]; Cremation [neither of us want to take up space in some marble orchard]; Ashes to be spread in ocean [at same place if possible].
Same for us. Cheap cremation and toss the ashes in a lake we have been going to for years. Have a wake at our house and finish of the bar supplies. My goal is to keep it stocked.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I told my wife to take my ashes to an autocross for one last run in someone's car. After that she can do what she wants with them, including dumping them in the nearest dumpster.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I told my wife to take my ashes to an autocross for one last run in someone's car. After that she can do what she wants with them, including dumping them in the nearest dumpster.
that’s a quick way cool them off.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Way ahead of guys. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-vi...ishes-1027675/

This was back when I was dealing with heart and a bunch of other annoying health issues.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Here is a list published in my local paper by Attorney Len Tillem, a very complete list of what we all should have in preparation for our demise:

The List of Eleven Plus One

1. The location of your safe deposit box, if you have one, and the location of you’re the key.2. Account numbers for all of your insurance policies, health, life, auto, home, burial, etc., and the names and addresses of your insurance agents.3. A list of your stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and the name, address and phone number of your broker.4. The names of the banks or savings and loans for each of your accounts, and the account numbers, or even copies of account statements.5. The location of your cemetery plot or mausoleum niche.
6. The location of your will or trust and the name of your attorney.
7. Your credit card numbers.
8. Your Social Security Number.
9. The name and address of your mortgage lender, the account number, and the approximate amount of the outstanding debt.
10. The name and address of your accountant, and where your past income tax returns are located.
11. The type of memorial or funeral service you want.
11+1. These days, many people receive account statements and pay their bills online, leaving no paper trail at home.
It’s important for your loved ones to be able to access your email and online accounts so they can wrap things up when you are gone. You may want to provide them with a list of your account numbers and passwords.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:33 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Good list. Sandy and I need to get with it and do the above. Everything we have is joint but if something happened to both of us at the same time...

Thanks.