S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Motor Oil And Your Car

Old 08-11-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 1,425 Likes on 955 Posts

Never heard of sensors knowing if you are using synthetic or mineral based motor oil.

Weights are important. And the use of OEM oil filters. At least, for how long the engine lasts. Not sure about engine sensors knowing if you use non-OEM filters or oil weights.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
My guess is that the mechanic meant the oil change minder. They work off mileage and start and stop cycles. They don't actually "sense" the oil, but the mileage calculations are based on the recommended oil. If the oil minder is set up based on synthetic and you use conventional, you will exceed the service interval before the minder goes off.
A good answer. I'll go with that!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
My guess is that the mechanic meant the oil change minder. They work off mileage and start and stop cycles. They don't actually "sense" the oil, but the mileage calculations are based on the recommended oil. If the oil minder is set up based on synthetic and you use conventional, you will exceed the service interval before the minder goes off.
I think you're exactly right and that my colleague got the story all wrong.

I asked my son Adam the same question and he answered exactly the same way. He too thinks it has to do with the oil change reminder whose oil change interval is based upon the type of oil recommended by the car's manufacturer.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I happen to agree with you. I think his mechanic was just trying to sell him a bill of goods.
I don't think the mechanic was trying to "sell" him anything. I think the mechanic was just being stupid. I wouldn't bring my car to him anymore.

However, if his idea was based on the oil change minder, and he knew this, then this is what he would have said. Cause it's got nothing to do with sensors. But he didn't. So, I still conclude he had no idea what he was saying. Just spewing words. So, based on that, I still would find another mechanic because he didn't even question himself!

Last edited by davidc1; 08-11-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

The bottom line is this - - it would have to be in the owner's manual if it were true.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:08 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

And like that, Dave cuts through the clutter to the heart of the matter (as usual).
Old 08-13-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tof
And like that, Dave cuts through the clutter to the heart of the matter (as usual).
I was hoping you were talking about me as well!
Old 08-13-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have always gone with the thought that the person that created the product probably knows what they are doing. If they say to go with a certain product, I do. I don't try to think I am smarter than them. Mechanics seem to think they are smarter though, especially backyard ones.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

The "mechanic" is an idiot. And is probably peddling high priced "super" oil of some sort. Recommendations are far different from requirements. Heck, Honda doesn't even require 91 octane gasoline. They recommend it. And they warn of damage using anything less than 87.

Anyone think you gotta use Honda motor oil? Anyone actually use it?
Always use [a requirement] a premium-grade
detergent oil displaying the API
Certification Seal. This seal indicates
the oil is energy conserving, and that
it meets the American Petroleum
Institute’s latest requirements. It is
highly recommended [recommendation] that you use
Honda motor oil in your vehicle for
as long as you own it.
Motor oil is motor oil. If it meets API standards it's fine. You're not going to void any warranty in the USA by using conventional or synthetic oil. And the warranties on our cars ran out years ago.

-- Chuck
Old 08-14-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engineer "son" here. There is no sensor in an engine that can determine synthetic or convention oil. In fact, there is only a pressure sensor. Theoretically, if, say, milk could build pressure under the conditions, not break down (or boil for that matter) it'd be fine to run.

Nothing in the engine is sensitive to synth vs conventional, but, more surprisingly, nothing is really that sensitive to viscosity (weight). Which means, yes, you could run 0W-20 in an engine (of modern machining and design, of course) without a problem just as you could run 5W-20 or 10W-30.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil And Your Car