S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My search for a new daily driver

Old 04-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Congratulations, Emil. I think that is a great car. It is hard to get a Honda with a manual transmission nowadays.

My daughter was T-Boned by an uninsured driver last week, totaling her small 2014 MB SUV. I'm trying to help her decide what to buy to replace it. She still wants to drive a small SUV, so I was including a test drive in the Honda CR-V. But it only comes with a CVT tranny, something I don't like, and would not drive myself. Ha ha She likes the Audi Q5, the MB GLC and the Bimer X5, but the Germans are expensive and are not inexpensive for maintenance after their warranty runs out. I am going to take her to drive the Hyundai Tucson Limited 1.6 turbo tomorrow. It has a 7 speed dual clutch tranny, and lots of goodies, including a very good warranty; plus five years of road service. And maybe the new VW Touran. We'll see, but she has a clear idea what she really wants to buy. She doesn't really have to rush; she is driving an old Audi sedan, an extra family beater to work now.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Emil,

Great choice. I love Civics. There's been at least one Civic in our driveway since 2005. Great car. I can't wait to drive and hopefully buy the new Si.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:36 PM

Jim,

Don't be put off by the CVT transmission. We have a 2012 CR-V that I've been using as a daily driver since giving Adam my BMW. It has a CVT. Mostly it feels like any other automatic transmission. First thing in the morning or under very hard acceleration it feels a bit rubber bandy but in general its not bad for an automatic.

The CVT aside, the CR-V is a great vehicle of its type. I didn't think I'd like it but I've grown very fond of it. It gets me where I'm going predictably, and is as useful as I need a vehicle of its type to be. It doesn't handle as well as a good sedan and the ride is a bit too cushy for me, but it works fine, and it starts every morning. Liz likes it so much that when her TSX gets to the end of its life it'll probably be replace with a new CR-V.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

My Patty has an 2013 CR-V and we love it. It rides nice, handles most everything we need to haul (we always have the Ranger for bigger items) get good gas mileage and has no trouble in the snow. I just wish they had some sporty colors!
Old 04-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Kathy also has a 2015 CR-V and really likes it......

Drives well..... seems strange not feeling the vehicle shift... but you will get used to it.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

We bought a 2016 CR-V Touring. After 9,000 miles we really like it. Transmission seems to be a non issue. We do live on a hill and when going down the hill first thing in the morning the transmission feels like it is holding the car back a little. Have not experienced any vibration others have mention. If it gives us 224,000 miles like our 98 CR-V did, we will be happy.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 PM

The search is over. Tomorrow afternoon/evening I'm picking up my 2017 Honda Civic Si.

It was a difficult decision. My final two choices were the 2017 Civic Touring Edition and the 2017 Civic Si.

The Touring Edition came with a lot of extras, but very few that I couldn't live without. The downside is that it came with an automatic (CVT) transmission which I really didn't want.

The Si is a relatively simple car, inexpensive, easy to live with car which is fun to drive. All of that suits me. Though it's bigger than it used to be it's still relatively small and light another thing that I like. And its a Honda, a brand that I've come to trust,

The Si doesn't have a Navi, but I've been using Android Auto for the last few weeks to see if I'd like it, and I do, especially now that I have unlimited data. The other thing that I wanted was HID headlights which the Si doesn't have. It does have projector headlights, but I really like HIDs. The Si has a six speed transmission and a better suspension, two things that I value.

Originally I thought I wanted the "Modern Metallic" color which is a dark grey, but when I saw the black I knew right away that it was the perfect color for the car.

I loved my 2006 Si but I gave it to Adam. He still has it with 180,000 miles and uses it for track days and autocross. I'm hoping that I love my new Si as much. I think I will.

More after I have the car for a few weeks.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Congratulations on your new car, Rob!

I can't wait to read your report on it in a few weeks.

Maybe another road trip to Ohio is called for to break in your new car.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Congrats Rob.
Post pics when you get it.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Congratulations on your new car, Rob!

I can't wait to read your report on it in a few weeks.

Maybe another road trip to Ohio is called for to break in your new car.
Hi Sue. Thank you. Another road trip to Ohio is possible, but only if you and Dennis promise to join us for dinner. We really had a nice time.

Quick Reply: My search for a new daily driver