S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A new front door.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,375 Posts
Default A new front door.

Our front door has seen better days.
After surviving two families of teenage boys, well it didn't really survive.
So we've been searching for a replacement.
We want to be careful to not get silly with the budget but also maintain the character of the house and maintain it's value.

One of the options we explored was replacement by Anderson.
The primary reason we went to their showroom was to see about how the Anderson doors were constructed, et cetera.
We discovered they don;t really have much in teh showroom and come to your house.
So we have our fairly standard front door with sidelight windows and a transom window.
So guy shows up does the shpeel, very professional. product is suitable. I kind would like real wood but the fiberglass wasn't really bad.
OK finally get to price... including labor, permits( not needed), disposal, blah blah blah
$21k but right now there are several applicable discounts which drops it to only $15,600.

for a fiberglass door. not hand lacquered Hawaiian kona, or old growth virgin mahogany with mother of pearl inlay but fiberglass.

and so the search continues.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Wow! Expensive these days. I guess the door is beyond restoration?
Old 09-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Huh? One too many decimal points....We had our door replaced at the same time we had siding done. I think we paid $1500.00 or so for the door,
Old 09-08-2017, 06:13 PM

I got an email today asking to do a review.
" it wasn't that your price was high, it was that it was ridiculously high."
Old 09-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,999 Posts

Anderson replacement windows for our entire house cost me nearly as much as your front door. One of us is getting screwed.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:05 AM

Dave the only way I would get screwed on that deal is if they slipped me a roofie.
The price was just so ridiculous.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:08 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Anderson replacement windows for our entire house cost me nearly as much as your front door. One of us is getting screwed.
I agree. We paid nearly the same for a whole house of windows!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 702 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Our front door has seen better days.
After surviving two families of teenage boys, well it didn't really survive.
So we've been searching for a replacement.
We want to be careful to not get silly with the budget but also maintain the character of the house and maintain it's value.

One of the options we explored was replacement by Anderson.
The primary reason we went to their showroom was to see about how the Anderson doors were constructed, et cetera.
We discovered they don;t really have much in teh showroom and come to your house.
So we have our fairly standard front door with sidelight windows and a transom window.
So guy shows up does the shpeel, very professional. product is suitable. I kind would like real wood but the fiberglass wasn't really bad.
OK finally get to price... including labor, permits( not needed), disposal, blah blah blah
$21k but right now there are several applicable discounts which drops it to only $15,600.

for a fiberglass door. not hand lacquered Hawaiian kona, or old growth virgin mahogany with mother of pearl inlay but fiberglass.

and so the search continues.
A friend of mine replaced her door in Naples, FL with an Anderson fiberglass door. I forget how much it was but it was not anywhere near that price. Get another quote!!
Old 09-09-2017, 02:05 PM

We have stained wood interior throughout the house.
So we'll probably going to go with Anderson 400 series entry way.
That way we get unstained pine interior but a composite exterior.
Low E glass etc.
We'd gotten an earlier quote from the lumberyard but it turns out they quoted it incorrectly, wrong door and sidelights.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 706 Likes on 433 Posts

Wowser. I should be taking better care of my front door. Mine is cypress and it gets the hot, hot, hot afternoon sun. It has the side panels with cut glass inserts but the main door is all wood. I DO polish it several times a year, but it has taken a beating from the sun. I won't take the thing for granted anymore. Can't believe this price!!!!

Quick Reply: A new front door.