S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

A new "sherriff"/boss coming to town - Has this happened to you?

Old 10-01-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,635 Posts
Default A new "sherriff"/boss coming to town - Has this happened to you?

Without saying too much, since this is the internet and nothing is private , I'm curious as to how any of you have dealt with a new boss coming to town. I'm sure many of you dealt with this over the years. I've got one coming soon and at age 60 I can't say I'm looking forward to this. Keep in mind this is small (very small) business not a big corporation being sold.

I'm comfortable with the buyer who has strong connections to the fishing industry, and I've worked a bit with the manager who will now be my boss. As far as I know, I'm not going anywhere, some of my duties may change a bit. I expect to be busier for a while, which is a good thing.

Now come the "buts" My current employer has not been an easy guy to work for, but I've been here almost 30 years, and I don't feel like dealing with a new boss and tons of changes.

I've been doing the same thing for so long but it's getting really, really old. I'd like to walk into the sunset when the boss leaves, but no can do financially.

I don't feel like looking for a new job as I just don't feel up to that challenge either. I don't want a commute, nor do I want longer hours or feel like starting all over again.

I know I have to just suck it up or get off my tail and do something, but I AM curious as to your experiences.

So pass along your words of encouragement for me............or just send me some money towards my early retirement, ...
Old 10-01-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

You can do it!!!

Who knows, maybe you will like the new boss better!

FWIW, I find communication is key. If he doesn't address it himself, ask if he would like to sit down with you to discuss what you do and how you do it to find out if wants you to do anything differently. Do your best to start out on the same page and you will minimize unpleasant surprises and disappointments that might sour the relationship before it gets started.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 769 Posts

^What Bill said! Don't worry yourself needlessly before the management change happens. Having been through several boss/management changes in my career, I pretty much followed Bill's advice and weathered the storm(s).
Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Bill and Gene. I guess you chose encouraging words vs a cash donation? It's all good.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
You can do it!!!

FWIW, I find communication is key. If he doesn't address it himself, ask if he would like to sit down with you to discuss what you do and how you do it to find out if wants you to do anything differently. Do your best to start out on the same page and you will minimize unpleasant surprises and disappointments that might sour the relationship before it gets started.
Yes and while you're at it, hit them up for a raise. If he's there to make things better, you'll get it as he needs your long term support and abilities to make his transition easier. If he's not and is an axeman. Happy retirement.

fltsfshr
Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1443713112' post='23763232
You can do it!!!

Yes and while you're at it, hit them up for a raise. If he's there to make things better, you'll get it as he needs your long term support and abilities to make his transition easier. If he's not and is an axeman. Happy retirement.

fltsfshr
How about asking for a raise NOW...esp if you have not had one for a while? If your current boss appreciates all that you do for the company, then he/she might not have a problem doing this...
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Lainey, I agree with all that's been said. I'm sure that your 30 years would be hard, if not impossible to replace and that you'll know your duties better than your new boss. Over the years I had quite a few different bosses and I found that most, if not all, knew that it was the "hired help" that ultimatly got the job done. The Chief is only as good as the indians. I'm wishing you the best...time will tell. When is this change taking place?
Levi
Old 10-01-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 726 Likes on 443 Posts

I wish you well and hope the new owner is a better boss and kinder to you. As others have said, I'm sure your years and experience can really make the transition much easier for the new owner. Hopefully he'll recognize that and reward you handsomely.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 769 Posts

I realize that working in a small business you probably don't have a formal job description, but maybe you should take a few minutes and list all the duties you do. I'll bet your current boss isn't aware of some of them. This might prove helpful to show the new guy how valuable you are.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Hey Lainey, you've got nothing to worry about. After all the years of working there, and with your experience and knowledge you probably know the business better than anyone. You'll be fine. My money is on you.

Quick Reply: A new "sherriff"/boss coming to town - Has this happened to you?