S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The next daily driver...

Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
If you go cheap, the Civic SI would mean you'd need snow tires. You'll soon be too old to change tires. Not sure about the Mazdas, I like VW's but the parts aren't cheap. They may factor in the car you are driving when you go to the soup kitchen.

I like the Ford Focus, if I were going cheap, I'd go there.

What about the new Dodge Dart? Or is it too soon to suggest a Chrysler/Fiat product?
Snow tires are not a problem now and I should be ok for the next 10 years. No Dart for me. I looked at it at the auto show.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
My DD is a Jeep Wrangler. I'll be 70 in a week and I love my Jeep. However, it has been lifted and has 33 tires. So getting a leg in is not as easy as it used to be. The new Cherokee, if you like Suv's is sweet. Reasonable pricing, sporty, fairly roomy and good performance numbers. It looks like an SUV is not on your list but just a thought.
No, there is no SUV on my list. I hate SUVs. I wouldn't mind having a pick-up around for when I need the cargo space, but no SUV for me. My wife has one and that is one too many in my garage.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jetboater
Bill---one "defining" trait for my DD is front or four wheel drive rather than RWD---(they do a great job with snow removal here in Ohio but still there are days where RWD only is not fun. My S2000 is my summer toy--both my wife and I have AWD DD crossovers---a Venza and a Crosstour)

Living in MA, is this a concern for you? If so, it might drop some of the cars off your list (like the Mustang and the 370z--great cars but not the best snow vehicles!)

An interesting one to add to your list to look at is the Nissan Murano CrossCabroleit--it's an AWD crossover with a convertable top---kinda neat concept and not very common on the roads. Its on our short list of vehicles to consider the next time.

Another is the Mazda 6--it's gotten great reviews as the best "drivers car" in the 4door mid priced segment.

And if you like BMWs and have had good luck with them and are OK with the maintainance costs, they're a really nice choice.
Thanks for your concern. I've lived here in Mass almost all my life and have owned over thirty cars. Almost all of them were RWD. I've owned about 10 FWD cars and 0 AWD. Driving in the snow is not a problem for me.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ralper
I don't know Bill. I think you'll have as hard a time deciding as I did. You've got some really nice cars on your list.

I had a 2006 Civic Si that I absolutely loved. Adam is driving it now and has 105,000 miles on it. He loves it and expects it to go another 100,000 miles. Aside from my S2000 it is the most fun car I've ever owned.

I currently drive a BMW 328i. I'm really enjoying it. It's very different than the Si, but drives beautifully. You should know, you too have a BMW.

One of my colleagues just got a Mercedes CLA. It's not quite as "sporty" as my BMW, but it's quite a nice car. I was never a big Mercedes fan, but I have to admit that they did a nice job with this car. (I don't like the way the sunroof opens, but that's besides the point.)

All of the cars on your list are nice.

I think you need to drive them all, and buy whichever one you keep going back to.
Yeah, same deal as last time, Rob. Once I start shopping it takes 5 or 6 months to make up my mind.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 AM

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,578 Posts

The +1 test drove an Infiniti and Acura before he settled on the Lexus. He thought the BMW was too expensive, although he had owned one previously. He pretty much settled on his choice in one day. I went over to the Lexus dealer to look at his choice once he made up his mind. I thought it was a really nice car. Not sure what he would buy now, but I think another Lexus. He's had this one for almost eight years.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1392497036' post='23017362
My DD is a Jeep Wrangler. I'll be 70 in a week and I love my Jeep. However, it has been lifted and has 33 tires. So getting a leg in is not as easy as it used to be. The new Cherokee, if you like Suv's is sweet. Reasonable pricing, sporty, fairly roomy and good performance numbers. It looks like an SUV is not on your list but just a thought.
No, there is no SUV on my list. I hate SUVs. I wouldn't mind having a pick-up around for when I need the cargo space, but no SUV for me. My wife has one and that is one too many in my garage.
I thought they took all the SUVs off the road earlier. Crushed them all!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by S1997
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1392525210' post='23017792
[quote name='S2KRAY' timestamp='1392497036' post='23017362']
I thought they took all the SUVs off the road earlier. Crushed them all!
[/quote]
They tried, Jim. But it didn't happen. Barbara and I are still SUVing down the road.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 AM

Received 706 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1392497036' post='23017362
We have a BMW X3 and it is fast, handles great and is roomy with the rear seat down. My wife didn't like SUV's but loves the Bimmer.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill, I bought a new Si in November for my DD. I had already test driven one & decided to buy in spring or summer, but my 2000 Tundra became a money pit. Really don't need a truck that much anymore & wanted to save on gas on my 36 mile commute. Although it would have been nice to hang on to it for those times when I need to haul something. I made the transition from 4WD without issues, but I plan to buy rims & winter tires for next winter. Even with this bad winter we're having with snow covered roads almost every day & plenty of steep hills around here, I had no real problems. It has enough torque to start out in 2nd gear & avoid spinning those low profile tires.

So, I can offer you my opinion of the Si so far.
Pros: -Extremely fun to drive (they come standard now with Acura 2.4L i-VTEC & limited slip diffs.).
-Good handling (heavier stabilizers than in the past, stiff with very little sway).
-Easiest, smoothest shifting stick I've ever driven.
-Obviously, gas mileage
-Lots of standard sport & fun equipment.
-For what it's worth, scored well in crash tests.

Cons: -Nice looking interior, but these are small cars and I'm used to a little more elbow room & internal storage space. The trunk is large enough though.
-Mirrors are not heated, PIA when it's -8.

If it's still on your list when decision time comes, check back for an update.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:11 PM

Thanks Bob. Did you get a 2013?

Quick Reply: The next daily driver...