S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Nova Scotia

Old 09-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Ray,

I think early September would be a good time weather wise for Nova Scotia. The nights may be cool, but days should be pleasant.

We headed there in 2009 for our 25th anniversary. We drove all the way, skipped the Ferry. We had been to Halifax and some of the other areas previously, so we dove in via New Brunswick, and headed to the Cabot Trail. We made our way up the Cabot Trail, staying one or two nights in Cheticamp, Ingonish, Sydney (not part of the Cabot Trail) and finished up in Baddeck.

We spent much of our time simply driving and checking out the scenery. I was just getting into the hobby and just clicked away. I think we stopped at just about every lookout. Cape Breton Highlands National Park

We did a LOT of driving, too much, if felt like some days. I think we should have just relaxed more. In two locations, we had cute little cottages on the water, we should have taken advantage of that.

In the town of Baddeck I wish we would have gone on a sailing cruise... Baddeck Sailing Tour There was a small yacht club just down the street from where we stayed. It was open to the public and we went for a drink. They had some live music and we spent some time talking to a gentlemen who really encouraged us to go on the sailing tour, but we had to leave for home the next AM.

We did visit the Fortress of Louisbourg. It is interesting, but we'll say it did not hold our interest for long, but I think that's just us.

Here's a web site that will keep you busy (I found some breweries and distilleries for you. )
Nova Scotia things to do

And a map of the Cabot Trail Cabot Trail

I can't provide any info as to Halifax and the other towns in that area as our trip was focused on the Cabot Trail.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1472920502' post='24054307
My wife and I will be married 50 years next September. We don't like air travel so we decided to drive to Nova Scotia and spend about 10 days there. We have always wanted to visit there and we are in the planning stages. Has anyone ever visited there. We plan to take the ferry from Falmouth and then drive our vehicle around Nova Scotia. How is the weather in early Sept. Any suggestions on places to visit, hotels or B&B's, restaurants, do we need passports or any other documents, how long is ferry crossing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Lots of questions, Ray!
First of all, yes, you definitely need passports since you are going into Canada. Get them early!
Second, not sure about a Falmouth ferry. I just did a search and the Cat Ferry is back! We took this ferry from Portland, Maine some 9 years ago and it was a great, quick ride. Enjoy a movie and a meal while you and your car take the ride. Glad that they have resumed the service!
I have a lot of recommendations, as does Lainey. Give me a little while to gather my info and I'll get back to you.
In the meantime, this website is a great place to start investigating Nova Scotia: http://www.novascotia.com/explore

I guarantee you'll love it there, especially with the current exchange rate!

Bob (AKA sssnakess) and I were there in 2007 with the S. It was our first time and we took the high speed CAT Ferry. Glad to hear it is back. I'd love to back especially to Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 706 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Ray-

One of the consultant team members that I work with lives in Weymouth, NS. For timing, he took this coming week off, then in two weeks, has another. I'd guess if he thought the weather was right to take in the island for vacation and he lives there, it's probably pretty good.

When he's back, I'll ping him for you to see what he says.
Thanks Gary.