S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Nova Scotia travel hints/info

Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Jun 8 2009, 02:43 PM
Lainey, i have offered some info about this to you in the past. If you care to pm me and i will be happy to tell you some of the ins and outs of the area. I have a good friend with a home in cheticamp.
Dave
I can't remember who offered what at this point.

Typing is still one handed and difficult. If you want to post some suggestions of attractions, restaurants, accommodations, that's easier than PM's at this point. That's all I'm looking for. I'd like to keep info in one area. Then I can just print up what I need from the thread.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 AM

Jerry, that is also the area Connie and Snakess/Bob stayed in. I'll have to check it out.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=paS2K,Jun 8 2009, 03:03 PM] Does he take boarders?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the weather window in that area in Sep and Oct - anybody know?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sep warm 65 degree not hot sunny days and cool sometimes very cool to cold nites especially in october.

If you come up in that time frame i would recommend no later than the last week of sept. As the fall colors peak up in that area long before they do where i am. it is 14 hours up to cheticamp from where i am in southern maine.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

If you happen to drive by Qu
Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=Emil St-Hilaire,Jun 11 2009, 07:53 PM] If you happen to drive by Qu
Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts

OK, Lainey, here is my 2 (or 3) cents worth:

Go here and request their travel guides, including the motorcycle guide, if you haven't already done so.

As for your proposed itinerary:

Depending on when you get to Cheticamp, one night may be sufficient. We stayed at this nice B&B, though it is really more like a motel. The owner pointed us to a local show and a great place for local seafood (king crab legs, fresh off the boat and yummy!)

I agree with one day on the Cabot Trail, especially in the S! Ingonish, though we did not stop there, looks like a reasonable stop after the Trail.

Jerry mentioned Baddeck. We did not stay there, but did visit the Alexander Graham Bell Museum, which is especially interesting if you're interested in modern history. Spending the day in Baddeck would put you in Sydney for the night. There, we stayed in a wonderful B&B, A Paradise Found. No matter where you decide to stay in Sydney, I would recommend two nights, which will give you plenty of time to go to Louisburg, which you mentioned. We didn't go there, but wish we had.

Since you said you won't be going to Halifax, I can't recommend any more places to visit or stay, since we followed the east coast of NS, although in the opposite direction.

No matter where you go or stay, you are going to love it! Just hope the weather is as nice for you as it was for us. And, we expect lots of pictures!

For a refresher, you might take a look at my trip report thread: Road Trip
Old 06-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Thanks Gene. I'll check out your links. I've got the tourist info and the motorcycle guide book. We keep flipping when we will stay where , but I found this place which appeals to us (good reviews on line) for our anniversary and an additional night in Ingnosh, we may skip staying in Cheticamp. We'll try to catch Louisbourg at the tail end.

Coastal Retreat
Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Jun 11 2009, 09:30 PM
.....I found this place which appeals to us (good reviews on line) for our anniversary and an additional night in Ingnosh, we may skip staying in Cheticamp. ....

Coastal Retreat
Lainey-

The place in Ingonish looks We stayed near there after driving the Cabot Trail from Cheticamp....clockwise is the recommended direction. It's a good place to stop b/c it's easy to retrace your steps a bit (counter-clockwise) if you want to revisit an area. The best overlook on the Cabot Trl is near the beginning, with a trail out to a great cliff and various platforms at the end for watching for whales etc.

That trail (well marked on the Cabot Loop map) is where we had our Moose sighting

....and also some local smaller wildlife

Quick Reply: Nova Scotia travel hints/info