S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

O.K. GWB fans - how 'bout that "war on terror"

Old 04-16-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie,Apr 16 2005, 01:56 PM
The past ostracism of Arafat and the removal of the Taliban and Saddam Hussein, followed by democratic engagement, will bring eventual stability to the Middle East and enhance the security of the United States.
Not to mention this seems to be the first administration since Carter willing to put some pressure on Israel to do its part. Go Condi!
Old 04-16-2005, 05:40 PM

I think that the idea that this new system of democracy will fail horribly, much like the multi-million dollar failure of the sewage system in Baghdad. Think about it for a minute, if Saddam's regime would have achieved a level of power where in which they hay had the means to invade America and utterly SLAUGHTER our military. Do you think that we the people of this country would roll over and say oh that's okay we don't like the way things have been going with our lifestyle that we've known for a few hundred years- sure we'll completely go along with your new style of government. The answer to this is no, I know that I would take to arms and defend my way of life till my dying breath and guess what, the insurgents are doing just that. They will continue to do that till we are gone. This whole debachel will have cost America thousands of lives and hundreds of billions of dollars for what, oh yeah so our oil tycoon of a pres can continue to spread democracy around the world and end terrorism. my .02 oh this is not my opinion- it is fact-
Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jhoostoy,Apr 16 2005, 05:40 PM
The answer to this is no, I know that I would take to arms and defend my way of life till my dying breath and guess what, the insurgents are doing just that.
That's true. However, it's to be noted that the Iraqi insurgents are Baathist Sunnis, who are a rather small minority of the country - not surprising, since the "way of life" they are defending is one where that 20% minority gets to have all the power and walk all over everyone else.

It remains to be seen whether the other 80% will be able to keep the upper hand, making the Sunnis abandon the Baathists and accept a power sharing arrangement, or whether things will break down into factional squabbling. In either case, though, I don't think the Baathists will be able to entirely regain the upper hand, as the Kurds, who were oppressed under the Baathists, are at least as good at fighting.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 PM

I just feel that it is shocking that when trying to eradicate international terrorists, the amount of terrorist attacks worldwide would actually increase. How do dat happen?
Old 04-17-2005, 03:00 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Attention Spring Fling attendees!

Take the Legal Bill Challenge and do not post a substantive response to this thread. We will be getting together in two weeks. Lets not get eachother all riled up.

No offense meant Lig.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Apr 17 2005, 06:00 AM

Take the Legal Bill Challenge and do not post a substantive response to this thread. We will be getting together in two weeks. Lets not get eachother all riled up.

No offense meant Lig.
I accept the Legal Bill Challenge.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:31 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

No offense taken, Bill.

Have a fun meet, all.

I would propose to amend the challenge and limit it to those who can't separate political feelings from personal ones.

Believe it or not - some very good friends of mine (locally) are *cough* neo-cons.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:50 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Apr 17 2005, 07:00 AM

No offense meant Lig.
I was thinking that exact same thing. I accept the challenge too.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by cordycord,Apr 16 2005, 10:54 PM
I just feel that it is shocking that when trying to eradicate international terrorists, the amount of terrorist attacks worldwide would actually increase. How do dat happen?
West Virginia is too far for me, and this looks like an honest question....

What do people who are used to fighting do when you attack them? They fight back, of course. So we should expect an increase in incidents for the first few years if we decide to fight the terrorists, and that's exactly what happened. At least they are fighting back where they happen to be strong (e.g., Spain, Indonesia) rather than carrying the fight to us.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:27 AM

Instead of my first smart-ass remark, I almost said that this (legitimate) thread should have been posted in "Politics and Current Events". Sorry.

Quick Reply: O.K. GWB fans - how 'bout that "war on terror"