S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Penofin Fires Big Box Stores

Old 12-23-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penofin Fires Big Box Stores

This might have been posted in Politics since I'm sure it could easily kick off at least a quasi-political (or as George Wallace used to say, a pissweado-intellectual) discussion.

Since I wanted it to be seen by more than the Politico trollers some of us have become, I'm posting it in the general population hoping that nobody sees fit to call George Bush a dork, thereby relegating it to the Politics forum. That said, here's a snippit I ran across in a recent woodworking magazine I subscribe to:

If you are not familier with their products, they do coatings for wood (decks, etc.) and other products.

PENOFIN FIRES BIG BOX STORES

Penofin Performance Coatings took the bold move of removing their products from America's largest home centers.

Penofin made the decision to sacrifice the retail might of the big box stores rather than move their manufacturing overseas --- a move they say would have been necessary to meet the list of growing demands from the mega-retailers.

"We are a family owned company", says Penofin CEO Dr. Barbara Newells, "and we are not about to go overseas to make a buck at the expense of our employees".

To learn more about Penofin Fine Wood Finishes, including where they can be found in your area, visit www.penofin.com or call 800-736-6346.

While I have no first hand knowledge about the specific demands Penofin was referring to or the reasons behind them, my guess is that the big boxes are wanting to keep themselves out of the liability chain for the manufacture, storage, distribution and disposal of products, considered potentially harmful to the environment, that are produced on these shores.

An American company with on shore production facilities is a good target for lawsuits that seek to follow the money on environmental issues while offering products that are produced overseas might offer some protection from the chain of liability in that following the money isn't as easy when it the trail leads offshore. Add to that the fact that producing products that are environmentally impactful puts the manufacturer, and to a much lessor degree, the retailers (storage, spillage, etc.) in the complex set of hazardous waste management and or cleanup federal and/or state laws.

Whatever Penofin's reason to withdraw from the demands of the mega-retailers (beyond their stated intent to not screw their employees), my hat goes off to them.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I would guess the issue is all about price and cost. I admire and respect Penofin's stance, I just hope they can survive.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,Dec 23 2005, 12:31 PM
I would guess the issue is all about price and cost. I admire and respect Penofin's stance, I just hope they can survive.
Looks like you are right

Here is the full text of the press release:

Ukiah, California - The blue and silver
Old 12-23-2005, 07:55 PM

Received 5,009 Likes on 3,028 Posts

I have never heard of them but it sounds like they are a company with big ego and lots of bull.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:26 PM

I've seen their products at Sherwin Williams before. I don't recall seeing them in HD or Lowes.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by paivag,Dec 23 2005, 09:26 PM
I've seen their products at Sherwin Williams before. I don't recall seeing them in HD or Lowes.
They used to be in both Lowes and HD around here, but Ukiah ain't too far from here, either.

Their products are pretty well respected in the north of Calefornia (apologies to Arnold) for treating outdoor wood. Redwood decks seem to like Penofin and hold up quite well with fairly infequent application. IT gives redwood a nice rice tone, too.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It's good to know there are still some good guys out there. Sure wish they would come to NC.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:36 AM

I don't know anything about this product, but, from purely a PR standpoint, this is Penofin - 1; Big-Box Retailers - 0.

What could well have happened is that the big boxes demanded (wholesale) price decreases, Penofin demurred, and someone there with a brilliant PR strategy took over.

This is a polite way of saying that Dave may be right.

At the same time, as long as they can keep making the stuff here in the US, so much the better. The entire country can't be only a service economy. HPH
Old 12-25-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Dec 23 2005, 11:55 PM
I have never heard of them but it sounds like they are a company with big ego and lots of bull.
Dave- I dont' understand your comment. I'm reading The World is Flat and understand that it's a new global world, but I respect a company that's willing to say "No thanks" to the Big Box stores.

I printed out the press release to share with our friend who owns the Narberth hardware store. It's surviving but struggling with the wolves.... People like us who shop there are helping with the effort even though the prices may be 5 or 10% higher.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 5,009 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Dec 25 2005, 06:38 PM
Dave- I dont' understand your comment. I'm reading The World is Flat and understand that it's a new global world, but I respect a company that's willing to say "No thanks" to the Big Box stores.

I printed out the press release to share with our friend who owns the Narberth hardware store. It's surviving but struggling with the wolves.... People like us who shop there are helping with the effort even though the prices may be 5 or 10% higher.
Two words - Corporate Spin.

Here's one of his earlier press releases:

09/16/2003
*The Author, Castle Newell, Is President Of Performance Coatings, Inc.*

UKIAH, CALIF.

Quick Reply: Penofin Fires Big Box Stores