S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Pipe replacement project - not MsP's usual thread

Old 09-22-2017, 04:20 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
HVAC equipment removal this morning. Pipe replacement starts Mon. Bad timing since we are going to have pretty warm temps for the next week - 80s. Boo...I have some fans. Neighbor upstairs bought two portable air conditioners and he is happy. But they are very expensive and we decided not worth it. Just have to spend more time outside of the apt in places that have AC.
Boooo!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:06 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Apt hasn't been too hot, fortunately. Fans are helping. Gonna be 90 today and 88 tomorrow, then the cooling trend starts. Yay! Tomorrow pipe peeps show up to cover everything in prep to cut four holes to access the pipes - two inside the HVAC closet, one to the right of the vanity, and one in the closet behind the vanity. Speaking of HVAC...here is the equipment in my very messy living room.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:36 AM

Latest pics...I got kind of interested in how the copper marries to the Aquatherm. They do use threading, at least on the bigger pipes. But on the little ones there is a copper piece with an aquatherm connection attached. They have a machine for heat fusion. They heat up a connection on the machine, then push it down on the pipe. You can see the connections on the Aquatherm pipe. All of the guys are very nice and they have prepped and cleaned up really well every day. Yesterday was riser replacement, today is laterals. Then inspections, drywall replacement and painting. Also HVAC return to the closet, which at the moment is scheduled for Fri. They may think I'm a bit crazy for taking all these pics, but I told them I document everything that goes on in the apt. They are almost all Hispanic, so I've been speaking a little Spanish with them, which I think they appreciate.

Last edited by MsPerky; 09-27-2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:08 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Wow! Lots of work! Nice solder jobs on the copper pipes. I love soldering copper. Redid my house plumbing 20 years ago. What a job! All under the house.

Good luck, on your work.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 AM

For those who have not fallen asleep yet, here are some final pics of the current project. To resume in Jan with guest bath and kitchen. After the initial stress of figuring out how the pipes were going to be accessed without destroying my master bath, everything went smoothly and pretty quickly (one week from HVAC equipment removal) considering the amount of work. Yesterday was inspection (took all of 30 secs), drywall and painting. The drywall/painting guy really did a great job. Place looks like nothing happened. Except for the empty HVAC closet. That will be taken care of today with the reinstall of the equipment, which has been sitting in my living room. Yay!! Then clean up the apt and put things back in order.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:50 AM

Received 709 Likes on 434 Posts

The pictures really show what a job this is! Wow. I'm sure you'll be glad when it is all over.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:02 AM

Yay!! AC is back. Seems like longer than a week. We have a break until Jan when Round 2 starts. To be cont'd...
Old 01-18-2018, 04:36 AM

^ Continuing...Round 2 now starts end of Feb. But a problem has arisen with the guest bath. I could not match the tile for the shower, so found a complimentary one I was hoping would replace the old tile that has to come out on the fixture wall. But when the tile restoration man came yesterday, he said they can't do the work because removing only one wall in the shower will break the waterproofing seal and the work can't be warrantied. Uhoh...now it's a much bigger issue for all of us in the Tier, who will not be happy at the thought of completely redoing shower/bath enclosures for thousands of additional dollars. I'm in touch with the pipe project managers to see what can be done. We all really lucked out with the master baths because we found a way to do the work without disturbing existing tile.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 4,956 Likes on 3,004 Posts

That sounds like a whole lot of Not Good. One of life's bumps I guess; seems like there should be a better work around in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:35 AM

Headed out tomorrow to look at new tile for the shower walls and floor. Also bath floor. It appears everything will have to be torn out. Ugh. My beautiful Carrara marble destroyed. Hard to believe that bath is almost 10 years old. Many of you followed my remodeling exploits for both baths and the kitchen. Here are a few pics of what the guest bath looks like now. Unless a workaround can be found, it all goes. I will probably pick a whiter Carrara for the walls and do polished instead of honed/tumbled. I like the riverstone on the shower floor and am considering replacing that with pebblestone, but think I will probably end up with shower and bath floors matching in a mosaic or basketweave pattern.

Last edited by MsPerky; 01-21-2018 at 03:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Pipe replacement project - not MsP's usual thread