S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: What is your Net Worth?
less than 100,000 :violin:
0%
100 - 250,000
0%
250 - 500,000
16.67%
500 - 1,000,000 <-- used to be a LOT
16.67%
1MM - 2,500,000
41.67%
2.5MM - 5,000,000
25.00%
more than 5MM
0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

REDUX: Vintage Net Worth

Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy

My net worth is no one's business (sorry Jerry), but I do agree that one must be SURE of the source of their income when they stop working, and the idea that Corporate or Government pensions will keep us until our last breath is proving to be a misnomer.
and that's why I went back to make sure that a posting would be confidential...other than what admin can view.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 4,999 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Every year I do a Net Worth statement - It is simply a spin off of all the other statements I have for assets, expenses, etc. It really doesn't take much time at all to compute because I've done it for so long. For example, annually I look up the Kelly blue-book value of my vehicles. The surprise this year was my 15 year old truck took a big jump. It is, according to them, worth what I paid for it used in 2008! And, I've logged 33,000 on it. Little surprises like that give me a nice feeling. I can tell you at glance what I paid for every major purchase over the years and what arbitrary value I place on it now. With records like that I have a good resource for an insurance claim if needed or just how much I really have soaked into my house over the years. I think knowing all that stuff, at least for me, is key to knowing where I'm at financially and what I have for my own piece of mind. I share it with my wife and that's it.

And, I'll come clean. Jerry, I checked More than 5MM just to drive you nuts trying to figure out who it was.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

I use Quicken, and can "guess" our net worth at any time. Our financial guys do a plan every year, so I can somewhat undersatnd wher I believe I am and where I will be in 25-30 years, if I am lucky enough to make to there.
And Dave I agree to the point of what I have put into my house vs. its intrinsic value. I have spent more on making my house what I want than I will ever be able to recover, but that is the okay by me, because I got to enjoy it.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

6 votes.

22 replies.

227 views.

Keep Jerry guessing.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 3,542 Likes on 2,393 Posts

I'm not sure I feel all that obligated to see if I measure up with another man's ruler.

perhaps the question you should be asking is the George Bailey test.
How many lives have you enriched over the course of yours?
Is the world a better place because of you?

or perhaps what I refer to as the senator test.
Would feel comfortable in front of a senate subcommittee investigating some facet of the work you have done?
Would you want the public to understand what you've done with your life?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even know what my net worth is. The net present value of my house, cars, fixed-annuity pensions, etc. are irrelevant to me.

I do, however, keep track of the worth of my investment portfolio and savings accounts. Every January I get year-end statements, which allow me to replace the estimated result in my retirement plan with the actual result.

There will come a time, not soon enough as far as I'm concerned, when these will have to augment my two small pensions and SS to keep me living the lifestyle I've become accustomed to. They have to last for decades, so I have to be sure I have enough before I quit the rat race.

Unless the cost-cutting consultants my employer has hired quit it for me. Fortunately, I'm at a point where I don't give a rat's patoot either way.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
I don't even know what my net worth is. The net present value of my house, cars, fixed-annuity pensions, etc. are irrelevant to me.

I do, however, keep track of the worth of my investment portfolio and savings accounts. Every January I get year-end statements, which allow me to replace the estimated result in my retirement plan with the actual result.

There will come a time, not soon enough as far as I'm concerned, when these will have to augment my two small pensions and SS to keep me living the lifestyle I've become accustomed to. They have to last for decades, so I have to be sure I have enough before I quit the rat race.

Unless the cost-cutting consultants my employer has hired quit it for me. Fortunately, I'm at a point where I don't give a rat's patoot either way.
Luck are YOU.

Maybe not on this forum, but I fear a lot of folks of age (40s and 50s) are NOT going to be able to "maintain their lifestyle"....and they don't have a CLUE.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 1,112 Likes on 990 Posts

Nice little dig at people who have less than 100k as their net worth. But then again, it's not of your business who has what or their net worth. Are you trying to feel superior to those who have less then you?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by zdave87
Nice little dig at people who have less than 100k as their net worth. But then again, it's not of your business who has what or their net worth. Are you trying to feel superior to those who have less then you?
As you'll notice from the voting, no one here (apparently) HAS less than 100k Even Scooterboy ("no plugged nickel") is in that category.

HOWEVER, if you are older than 50; don't have a fat pension from military/govt/industry; then you ARE in big trouble if you want to retire in the next 15 years. Just sayin'...
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 1,112 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K
Originally Posted by zdave87' timestamp='1362941919' post='22393493
As you'll notice from the voting, no one here (apparently) HAS less than 100k Even Scooterboy ("no plugged nickel") is in that category.

HOWEVER, if you are older than 50; don't have a fat pension from military/govt/industry; then you ARE in big trouble if you want to retire in the next 15 years. Just sayin'...
And it's none/zero of your business as to what another person has as their net worth. I could be less than 1k or more than 10m. It's frankly none of your business.
I have what I want. Is that clear enough for what you want to know?

Quick Reply: REDUX: Vintage Net Worth