S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Remember when you were a kid?

Old 07-05-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Ahh, the good ol days!
Old 07-05-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 5,030 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Frankly, somethings have not changed as much as we think. I just attended my grandson's 9th birthday party. He got way too much EXPENSIVE STUFF. Games for his Game Boy, rocket, Pro Sports stuff, etc.....

In the end, the stuff he grabbed first ....... BALLONS, to fill up with water! And, the big kids grabbed the water guns.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember STANDING on the front seat of the car when I was little. Dad, driving with no seat belt, was expected to stick his arm out and catch me while braking/maneuvering in an emergency.

I remember a time I wouldn't get on a bicycle without gloves (in a fall you'll catch yourself with your hands) but had never heard of a bicycle helmet.

Remember playing with liquid mercury in chemistry lab? Today they'd close the school for a week and spend 10's of thousands of taxpayer dollars cleaning up.

I'm destined to become a mass murderer; the outcome is inescapable after all the time I spent watching "Road Runner" and other violent cartoons. It won't be my fault; it will be the fault of RR, Wile E, and the "Hollywood media". In fact, nothing is ever anyone's fault any more. No one is expected to pick themselves up after a bad break and get on with their life.

A personal favorite is a line from "The Wonder Years." Daniel Stern, narrating as Kevin Arnold, said something like, "After dinner I took a walk. This was back when a kid could take a walk and not wind up with his picture on a milk carton."

A friend my age relates a story about his father driving him by the local park. The father pointed to a playing field and said, "See those guys out there. They're foreigners. That game they're playing is called soccer." I went into a local sports bar the night of game 6 of the NBA semi-final series this spring and they had soccer on all the screens.

Of course, not all the changes have been bad. We no longer have "separate but equal"; a Sandra Day O'Connor who graduated third in class from Stanford Law wouldn't have to beg for a job today; we've moved past the debate over whether a Catholic could be President of the United States, etc.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about Mumps, Measles, Chicken Pox, Small Pox vaccination, being able to hitch hike with out any thought that you would be abducted.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Jul 6 2005, 07:20 PM
I remember STANDING on the front seat of the car when I was little. Dad, driving with no seat belt, was expected to stick his arm out and catch me while braking/maneuvering in an emergency.

I remember a time I wouldn't get on a bicycle without gloves (in a fall you'll catch yourself with your hands) but had never heard of a bicycle helmet.

Remember playing with liquid mercury in chemistry lab? Today they'd close the school for a week and spend 10's of thousands of taxpayer dollars cleaning up.

I'm destined to become a mass murderer; the outcome is inescapable after all the time I spent watching "Road Runner" and other violent cartoons. It won't be my fault; it will be the fault of RR, Wile E, and the "Hollywood media". In fact, nothing is ever anyone's fault any more. No one is expected to pick themselves up after a bad break and get on with their life.

A personal favorite is a line from "The Wonder Years." Daniel Stern, narrating as Kevin Arnold, said something like, "After dinner I took a walk. This was back when a kid could take a walk and not wind up with his picture on a milk carton."

A friend my age relates a story about his father driving him by the local park. The father pointed to a playing field and said, "See those guys out there. They're foreigners. That game they're playing is called soccer." I went into a local sports bar the night of game 6 of the NBA semi-final series this spring and they had soccer on all the screens.

Of course, not all the changes have been bad. We no longer have "separate but equal"; a Sandra Day O'Connor who graduated third in class from Stanford Law wouldn't have to beg for a job today; we've moved past the debate over whether a Catholic could be President of the United States, etc.

The Mercury note brought back some memories. I recall my friends and I breaking open thermometers and letting the mercury roll around in our hands.

Playnig stickball in the busy street with no glove or helmets. Only the kids on each end watching for traffic.

Swimming in the river where sewage was probably pumped 10 miles upstream.

Riding my bicycle seated on the handlebars facing backward and seeing how fast I could go. Sure I have some scars but whats wrong with that? I always said there is no problem as long as you can say"what was that"?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:58 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

I remember my dad having a traffic accident from a car that pulled out in front of him when I was only THREE YEARS OLD -- I remember because I was standing in the front seat beside daddy and the collision caused me to smash into the METAL DASH. Ouch -- but, I survived with only a big ole nasty bruise on my forehead to brag about.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:08 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Jul 7 2005, 04:58 AM
I remember my dad having a traffic accident from a car that pulled out in front of him when I was only THREE YEARS OLD -- I remember because I was standing in the front seat beside daddy and the collision caused me to smash into the METAL DASH. Ouch -- but, I survived with only a big ole nasty bruise on my forehead to brag about.
If that happened now, six lawyers would be at your door.