S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 07-27-2023, 10:17 AM

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,693 Posts

My garage insulation and drywall is done. Today is the first layer of mud.

QUESTION: What would you prefer in your garage?.

...I was asked if I wanted orange peel or knock-off finish on the walls. I said I wanted smooth, as that's what's in my attached garage. I'm not looking for fancy smooth. I just wanted the garage insulated and don't care about the walls.

^7-11-2023. I hired a guy to replace the rails on the detached garage and reseal all the three garage doors.

^7-11-2023. The old seals were all replaced. Should keep the dust out of the garage better. He also tightened up the door and changed out the wheels in the tracks.

^7-19-2023. Contractor's electrician out. I have a ground fault problem between the house subpanel and the garage subpanel. I'm not 100% sure what's going on because I think I misunderstood.

^7-24-2023.

^7-24-2023. Gotta keep the cars and mower out but if I can I put them back inside at night. I never know for sure if the afternoon thundershowers will produce hail.

^7-24-2023. Starting the blown in wall insulation.

^7-24-2023. The fiber that's shot into the walls for inuslation.

^7-24-2023. Wall insulation all done.

^7-26-2023. Drywall all done. I texted the contractor asking him if someone comes back to insulate the ceiling.

7-27-2023. The floor was covered this morning.

7-27-2023. The floor was covered this morning.

^7-27-2023. I didn't know this tool existed.

^7-27-2023. He runs the tool down the drywall seam which places the tape and mud and then they go back and scrape it a few times, as the mud dries.

^7-27-2023. Taping and mudding the seams.

Last edited by Kyras; 07-27-2023 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dlq04 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:26 AM

Received 3,575 Likes on 2,416 Posts

watching a guy who is good at skim coating always amazes me. ( largely due to the fact I suck at it so badly. )
Since our garages are attached and under the great room, having a quiet opener track system is on my agenda.
My schedule got mucked up this year ( ) next year I might replace all three doors depending on how I feel.
The face of the doors is a compressed/textured fiberboard type material and after almost 40 years, the bottom panels are pretty tired.
They're swelling and fungus has taken hold.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:32 PM

Received 811 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Here's a question for those building a new home or re-modeling a kitchen. In watching some of the Home shows, I noticed the kitchens with different color cabinets. Upper in one color, lower in another. It seems to be a trend I just can't wrap my head around. I need my cabinets to match. If I had an island in the kitchen and was living on the wild side, perhaps that would be different than the main cabinets, but can't say for sure.

So, what's your vote on mis-matched cabinets? Just curious.
we did the main side of the kitchen dark cabinets and white countertop. The cabinets and buffet on the other side of the kitchen has white cabinets and grey countertops.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:09 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
watching a guy who is good at skim coating always amazes me. ( largely due to the fact I suck at it so badly. )
Since our garages are attached and under the great room, having a quiet opener track system is on my agenda.
My schedule got mucked up this year ( ) next year I might replace all three doors depending on how I feel.
The face of the doors is a compressed/textured fiberboard type material and after almost 40 years, the bottom panels are pretty tired.
They're swelling and fungus has taken hold.
Jerry I switched to a DC powered garage door opener last year and it made a huge difference in reducing noise, I kept my chain system and just put on a DC powered opener. Rubber chains may be even quieter but I was fine with the chain and just a DC powered unit.
Old 07-28-2023, 05:56 AM

In my case it's not the drive I don't think as much as the roller/ track assembly.
They are literally the cheapest metal rollers and track on the market.
I intend to fix that. Given to my own tendencies it would be some ridiculous double isolated, twin roller bogey carrier guide.
You wouldn't hear it from 5 feet away.

In reality Ii will invest in good nylon seal bearing rollers and guides.
Before that though I need to go back and check level and square on the old tracks.
With the existing evidence of exceptional build quality in the house now, ( if it was quality, it was an exception) I am pretty sure they did it wrong.
I know the doors roll a little kitty-corner as it is now.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:12 AM

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It won't be long before I will need to replace the springs on both doors. The springs are in the tube and they fail regularly according to a local installer. He said they refuse to use that type of spring because of their failure rate.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:23 AM

are they linear springs or are they torsion wound?
Hard to understate how important it is to have the retention cables for the linear springs.
I had one snap over my head once. Holy cable snap, just about scared the crap out of me.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:19 AM

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
are they linear springs or are they torsion wound?
Hard to understate how important it is to have the retention cables for the linear springs.
I had one snap over my head once. Holy cable snap, just about scared the crap out of me.
They are torsion but unlike what I consider normal springs that are on the outside of the tubing, these are much smaller and inside of the tubing.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:20 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

My garage door and it rails are hurricane proof. Significantly more & heavier bracing on both the door and the tracks. Looks like a regular door but it weighs more. Had them put a new motor on it. Very quiet operating compared to my old one
Old 07-28-2023, 08:02 AM

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,648 Posts

Not my home, but in the Y studio. They recently refinished the wood floor in the studio. It looks absolutely gorgeous. I was told it looks as it did when installed many years ago. However, something went wrong. There is an area of the floor with give/bounce. Now there is apparently some lifting of the wood. Can barely open the doors to an equipment closet. In that area, you can feel a lift in the floor and a marble would certainly roll down hill. I think the contractor has some work to remedy this!

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread