S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 12-05-2017, 06:23 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd like to spend January and February in Islamorada.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Even my 90 year old Dad has decided he is too young for Florida. He's heading back to North Carolina. His condo in Sarasota will be on the market in January if any of you geezers are interested.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I remember years ago when my ex and I bought a house here, the lady who sold it was in her early 80s. She went down to FL but did not like it - said there were too many old people there.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:43 AM

Speaking of FL and retirement, my sis and her hubby live in Melbourne. Both of them are having some health issues that are causing her to think more about selling the house and moving to independent/assisted living. Where is a problem. She has her daughter in NC where she wants to go eventually. He has family in NY and AL. They have looked at a couple of places locally, but he does not want to leave their house. It's a very difficult decision to make, but one I think should be made before something really bad happens and the pressure is on in a vulnerable time when the decision making would be much more difficult. That's why I said above to find a place with good health care options for the long term and relocate sooner rather than later. To be continued...

Last edited by MsPerky; 12-06-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Speaking of FL and retirement, my sis and her hubby live in Melbourne. Both of them are having some health issues that are causing her to think more about selling the house and moving to independent/assisted living. Where is a problem. She has her daughter in NC where she wants to go eventually. He has family in NY and AL. They have looked at a couple of places locally, but he does not want to leave their house. It's a very difficult decision to make, but one I think should be made before something really bad happens and the pressure is on in a vulnerable time when the decision making would be much more difficult. That's why I said above to find a place with good health care options for the long term and relocate sooner rather than later. To be continued...
I feel for them. It is hard to leave one's home. My parents had sold their home in the city to move to a mobile home park in the small town where I now live. I could not imagine that down the line even maintaining that little place and the little bit of grass around it would become too much, but it did. They moved to elderly housing. It was a tough day.

Probably repeating myself here, but years ago I lived in an apartment in the city. Six apartments in one tenement type house. I had left but the kind elderly couple in the front stayed on, until they moved to elderly housing. I'd visit them from time to time and they told me they were sorry they moved as there was no "life" where they now lived vs the apartment. They said too much watching ambulances come and go, and old people talking about illness.

Ultimately that was the same apartment complex my parents moved into. I cried that day, as all I could think of was my now departed sweet elderly neighbors who were sorry they moved.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

So this is the last year for me. I'm toying with the idea of staying on in a very reduced capacity through 2019, but either way my status will be very different as of January 1, 2019.

How is your retirement plan going for you???
Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Still retired... I think about work every once in awhile, but lately I've been so busy with projects here in the apt, I've not had any time to work outside.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Still enjoying retirement.
Levi
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
How is your retirement plan going for you???
Cannot complain at all. . . my concern right now is how much of my wealth has accumulated just in my home. Unfortunately, given where I live, the only way out is through contributing more from my paycheck. While it's a nice problem to have, there's a real cognitive dissonance looking at your home as both housing and an asset class in a portfolio.

. . . maybe it's just real life after 40.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Bill, its about time, damn it. My goodness, how many years have you brought up this subject? Half the Vintage Group has retired since then and you are still talking about it!

I will say this: A Work-A-Holic who has NO hobbies should NOT retire. I don't know but I suspect you fall somewhere in the middle.... that's why its been a tough and long time coming decision - - although you always put $ as the issue; yah, hobbies are expensive but so is working till you drop. As for myself, one week after hitting 60 I said..... I got'a try that; sound like fun and it was easy. Growing up as an only child I learned very early how to spend endless hours doing things I really enjoyed without someone telling me what needed done and what was expected from me. I not sure that makes sense but for many retirees its the first time they really have to plan their day, week, month, future. If you think being an "over-achiever" describes you, I'd say keep working; otherwise, give it a try. All the best wishes.

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status