S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 03-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

As you can tell, I've not been monitored. Bills get posted and paid, payroll gets done, etc, I have a little down time. Small company. No billable hours for me.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Who are you asking Gary?
Old 03-16-2019, 05:27 PM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
My old job before retirement: It required a daily input as to what percentage of my time was productive and directed towards the goal of our efforts. Most efforts were contractual agreements with National Government Programs that required hourly accountability and were monitored for assurance.

Because of my past’s stringent monitoring of the use of my time, I’m a bit perplexed and interested as to how so many employers have allowed free rein over their employees daily work involvements. Today, it seems as though much of their time is allowed to become personal and consists of significant interfacing on social media throughout the day.

Is this the trend following my years of employment that consisted of harsh consequences if a diversion was detected? Out of curiosity, what does your employer expect and what are your personal requirements?
Originally Posted by Lainey
As you can tell, I've not been monitored. Bills get posted and paid, payroll gets done, etc, I have a little down time. Small company. No billable hours for me.

I'm curious as well. Lainey gets her job done and everyone is happy, including her, with mini Facebook/S2ki breaks. My son, at Boulder Google never looks at social media and is given free rein to get his job done. He has 20+ "reports". He takes his dog to work when he feels it. If he doesn't perform everyone's going to know, and he will first. They measure everything. I told him I had 1 million feet of gain on my ElliptiGO and he spouted off how many lines of code he had done.

Last edited by Kyras; 03-18-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:01 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I'm curious as well. Lainey gets her job done and everyone is happy, including her, with mini Facebook/S2ki breaks. My son, at Boulder Google never looks at social media and is given free rein to get his job done. He has 20+ "reports". He takes his dog to work when he feels it. If he doesn't perform everyone's going to know, and he will first. They measure everything. I toldhim I had 1 million feet of gain on my elliptigo and he spouted off how many lines of code he had done.
1 million feet of vertical gain is awesome. Lines of code is a yawner.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I was never monitored either. No one knew what I was doing (me too at times) just as long as everything worked, the building didn't fall in and product went out the door at all six facilities, everyone was happy. Now my boss looks over my shoulder all of the time!
Old 03-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

I always had free rein too. Come and go as I pleased, take as long as I liked for lunch, etc. Both my immediate two bosses worked in different cities and I seldom talked to them or saw them. I always tried to give them more than they expected based on various assignments and they were happy.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I have always valued autonomy very highly. I work largely independently although we have numerous checkpoint processes to make sure we are doing the right thing.
Our leadership will preach about Innovation, Leadership and Self Motivation as tenets of success but only as long as you stay within the lines in your coloring book.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I told my wife that it was too depressing to come over to the Vintage forums - especially to this thread!

This thread started more than two years ago and what am I still doing? Age 71? - still working.

It's not that I don't have a retirement plan. I have a marvelous retirement plan. The problem is that I don't have a quit working plan.

I guess I've always been a procrastinator. But quitting work is hard work.

Anyway, just reporting in. That's my status.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I told my wife that it was too depressing to come over to the Vintage forums - especially to this thread!

This thread started more than two years ago and what am I still doing? Age 71? - still working.

It's not that I don't have a retirement plan. I have a marvelous retirement plan. The problem is that I don't have a quit working plan.

I guess I've always been a procrastinator. But quitting work is hard work.

Anyway, just reporting in. That's my status.
I think that my husband (goblueS2K) can relate to that! He is still working at age 75. He will probably retire the end of this year, and he'll be 76 by then.

We definitely don't need for him to keep working, but he just has not felt that he wanted to retire yet.

I retired in June 2014, about 2 weeks shy of my 68th birthday.

When he retires, it might be a big adjustment...for him, as well as for me!
Old 03-18-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 4,960 Likes on 3,005 Posts

As one who retired one week after hitting 60, I am sorry but I can not relate. Maybe that's why I couldn't afford to go vintage racing.

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status