S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 03-18-2019, 05:31 PM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

My husband, goblue, still enjoys his work, too.

And, he likes keeping his mind sharp and active, doing the things he does at work, and gets paid for it, besides.

I enjoyed my work, too, as a lab technician. At least, up until the last two years or so...when we got new management which made it not so fun anymore.

Had it not been for the new management, I would probably have kept working longer. I was lucky that I was eligible to retire with a state pension with almost 36 years of service. Many of my co-workers were not eligible to retire yet, so they had to suck it up with the new management or find a new job.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

to all the posts since this afternoon.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:10 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

The line of work I was in (corrections) is a young man's game and I wasn't young anymore.
Levi
Old 03-19-2019, 05:07 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

It's all about having something to do with your life that you are looking forward to, and the money to do it. I'm really not sure where retirement will lead me. My interests change as I get older and my energy to do manual work has faded a bit. One example is the cold weather. When my "heated" garage is down to the 50s I have no interest in working on cars out there. And in the winter, when my basement temps drop to the low 60s it is also unpleasant. Yet just 10 years ago I worked in both the garage and the basement during the winter. This is nothing that can't be addressed with a portable heater, of course.

Working with my hands on my hobbies is only part of how I'd like to spend my time. I may enter the world of commerce in some small way. I don't think I'll keep practicing law. I don;t want to work for a firm and I don;t want the hassle of running my own shop. FAR too much regulation, process and procedure. It is easy to slip up and find yourself in trouble with the board of bar overseers. My record is spotless and I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

As I've said many times the people who do not have hobbies before they retire will most likely be bored and find it difficult.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I told my wife that it was too depressing to come over to the Vintage forums - especially to this thread!

This thread started more than two years ago and what am I still doing? Age 71? - still working.

It's not that I don't have a retirement plan. I have a marvelous retirement plan. The problem is that I don't have a quit working plan.

I guess I've always been a procrastinator. But quitting work is hard work.

Anyway, just reporting in. That's my status.
Yeah I get it.

At one time I was going to form a Procrastinator's Society, but I never got around to it...
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
As I've said many times the people who do not have hobbies before they retire will most likely be bored and find it difficult.
Gotta stay busy. I know I won't be content to stay in and read. As mentioned in the weekend thread, I'm branching out with my photography hobby. Well not too far and won't make any money from it, but I've had some fun working on Alphabet/Animal picture books for the little kids in my life, using my animal/bird photos. I've had to improvise a bit. If I can't find a newt, Rick suggested using a Nuthatch (white breasted) for the Letter "N". The letter Q is an issue too. I may use the word, QUACK and put a photo of a duck. I've added photos of the little one (my great niece) with her dog, and I've done the same on the book for our friend's grandson.

I know I'm happiest when I'm out with my camera, I truly find it peaceful, even if I end up deleting all the photos I take when I get home.

Between the Y, the photo hobby, enjoying the outdoors when we can, some top down rides, trips, outings with the Y ladies, I'm expecting to keep busy.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I always got a kick out of the people---and there were a couple of them during the 32 years I worked for the Engineering Division of a US chemical company--that worked well past retirement age because they thought they were indispensable. They weren't. And like ripples in a pond when you throw a rock in it, the ripples disappeared almost instantly.

I got offered a buyout at age 59, took it and never looked back. Too many different toys to play with. No guarantee how much time was left for me to play with them.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:30 AM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
The line of work I was in (corrections) is a young man's game and I wasn't young anymore.
Levi
I didn’t know that was your occupation Levi. I bet you have a lot of stories you could tell!
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I've had some fun working on Alphabet/Animal picture books for the little kids in my life, using my animal/bird photos. I've had to improvise a bit. If I can't find a newt, Rick suggested using a Nuthatch (white breasted) for the Letter "N". The letter Q is an issue too. I may use the word, QUACK and put a photo of a duck. I've added photos of the little one (my great niece) with her dog, and I've done the same on the book for our friend's grandson.
The Alphabet/Animal picture book is a cool idea for the little kids. I bet they will enjoy the books, especially with the personalized photos of them with their dogs or whatever.

For the letter, "N," how about a bird nest?

For the letter, "Q," would you be able to find a quail?

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status