S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 02-23-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retired and glad of it

We are doing pretty well, and find that between investment income, pensions, rents and social security, we have a comfortable existence. I retired at 62 in 2008, into the teeth of Bush's Great Recession. We realized prior to retirement that the bubble was growing and that continuous artificial growth could not be sustained, so several years before the crash, we got mostly out of the market, then subsequently latched onto a solid variable annuity, and have since done some modest investment in real estate and back into equities on the upswing. We bought a near-hundred-year-old house at foreclosure, then spent several years bringing it back to life and restoring its former style and charm. It is now a rental tax shelter housing people we know well. We also bought a vacation home in Florida, then renovated that as well, so we have a great place to spend the winter, and rent the place at other times. I still have the 2004 S2K I bought in 2005, and it's up to 56K miles. We don't usually do marathon road trips in it any more, but reserve it for day trips when the weather is good.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 5,028 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Bill, interesting way to retire - lots of planning and lots of work (from the sound of it).
Old 02-24-2017, 02:10 AM

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I have my money spread out in different investments because I like diversification. The other day my dentist was talking about investing in a franchise, so I asked my CPA and investment advisor about that idea. They both, especially the investment guy, did not think much of it. Maybe because of my age and the consideration not to get into anything too risky. So I bagged it. I'll just sit on my fairly conservative nest egg.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:05 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I carried a lot of people on my back for a lot of years. Age 69 and still working, but the load is lighter.

My problem is that I still want to "be in the world".
I know a lot of people like that. I hope you truly are contributing at a high level. The overwhelming majority of older professionals I know are either hangers-on whose contributions are marginal or just getting in the way.

In the practice of law I see a lot of what I call Lunch Partners: older attorneys without any real work who show up for all the lunch meetings and dinners. I also see pro bono partners who spend a little time at the office helping those who can't afford to pay for legal counsel. The associates seem to do 90% of the work and they help with strategy and court appearances. About one in five are still truly "working" after 65. Based on my current thinking, I don't want to keep working at this level and would rather get out of the way.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I know a lot of people like that. I hope you truly are contributing at a high level. The overwhelming majority of older professionals I know are either hangers-on whose contributions are marginal or just getting in the way.

In the practice of law I see a lot of what I call Lunch Partners: older attorneys without any real work who show up for all the lunch meetings and dinners. I also see pro bono partners who spend a little time at the office helping those who can't afford to pay for legal counsel. The associates seem to do 90% of the work and they help with strategy and court appearances. About one in five are still truly "working" after 65. Based on my current thinking, I don't want to keep working at this level and would rather get out of the way.
I always worry about that when I go back in to visit. I try to make it short but sometimes I think I stay too long.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I always worry about that when I go back in to visit. I try to make it short but sometimes I think I stay too long.
You visit? Are you there to guide someone along? My co worker who retired after 30 years here has not stepped foot in the shop since he left. He doesn't miss it at all. We keep in touch by text and the occasional lunch. Not sure I'd visit once I leave....
Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
You visit? Are you there to guide someone along? My co worker who retired after 30 years here has not stepped foot in the shop since he left. He doesn't miss it at all. We keep in touch by text and the occasional lunch. Not sure I'd visit once I leave....
Our cafeteria has a wall of windows looking out on a paved road leading to our loading dock. The closest I'll come to a visit after I retire might be showing up at lunch time to do smokey donuts in front of the cafeteria windows in the S2000!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I went in today to take the owners assistant (and my close friend) out to lunch. While I was there I disposed of 10 gallons of used motor oil and picked up a few pieces of sheet metal for a project I am working on. There are benefits to staying in contact!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I went in today to take the owners assistant (and my close friend) out to lunch. While I was there I disposed of 10 gallons of used motor oil and picked up a few pieces of sheet metal for a project I am working on. There are benefits to staying in contact!
Excellent...there IS something in it for you.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I have my money spread out in different investments because I like diversification. The other day my dentist was talking about investing in a franchise, so I asked my CPA and investment advisor about that idea. They both, especially the investment guy, did not think much of it. Maybe because of my age and the consideration not to get into anything too risky. So I bagged it. I'll just sit on my fairly conservative nest egg.
Deb, I looked at franchises, and my conclusion was, unless you have a fair bit to invest (McDonalds, Starbuck's, etc.) the only people that make money in franchises are the franchisors. Now that is a bit of a gross generalization, but way too many small franchises are very speculative....did I say very, oh yeah and not for me.

Diversification is the key, I hope it stays that way.

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status