S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are S2000 Drivers Interested In Sports Car Racing

Old 03-25-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I enjoy watching a little road racing but would rather be out driving then sitting around watching it.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000 owners (30 in all) invited to do a parade lap at the Honda Gran Prix in St. Petersburg in early April.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=259253
Old 03-25-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch ALL American road racing (ALMS, Grand Am, Grand Am Cup, Speed Touring and GT, SCCA runoffs, and some Mazda and Toyota Atlantic), as well as F1, what was CART, and NASCAR at the Glen and Infineon. When Speed can tear itself away from auctions, cruiser bike and bling bling shows, as well as that daily new insipid N Nation show to give us FIA GT, DTM and British GTs, I watch those as well. I Get around the "I like to be driving bit - racing IS during autocross season - by using the good ole Tivo and DVD's. I watch at my leisure at night when I get back from events and on into the winter.

I was going to go to both Daytona (24 not the roundy roundy) and Sebring this year, but changed jobs and decided to do it next year. I would like to go to the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen to see two great 'unknown' road racers before they retire; Ricky Rudd and Mark Martin.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:50 PM

I too watched both Sebring and the Malaysian GP. I watch all the F1 races and most sports car races. And I attend a race when one is convenient, such as the Portland ALMS last year. In my youth I attended nearly all the races at Lime Rock, Thompson, Bridgehampton, Watkins Glen, as well as Sebring twice and a few at Riverside. I'd still be attending if there were active tracks around here.

But the racing I like best on TV is WRC. Balls-out on ordinary, twisty, dirt, asphalt, or snowy roads is the greatest. It's the way you'd like to drive if the cops weren't around. Of course, the S2000 isn't optimum for those conditions, but I still love to watch.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:22 AM

F1 is going to be a lot more exciting this year. Personally, I think Renault has everyone covered. The new engine for 2005 is up 100Hp over last year's and the chassis is not as twitchy

F1DNA

Sebring/Black

T.D.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by drewchie,Mar 22 2005, 01:28 PM
It does at least prove that it wasn't ALL Michael Schumacher the past few years. It's pretty clear that his superior skills were matched with an equally superior car. Now we know, if his car isn't competitive, neither is he.
I do and don't agree...

I agree that the Ferraris have been the cars to have for the last few years, but I do believe that MS had a lot to do with getting them there. He really provided valuable feedback back to the engineers to develop the cars. Something that not all drivers are able to do.

I don't agree because this year is very difficult to judge. Ferrari is really hurting on thier tires. As such MS cannot push at any point during the race or he won't finish. Meanwhile, Michelen runners such as Renault car really push hard ALL race long.

This is another reason why I really hate this new tire rule - not only is it dangerous, but we can't see the best out of the drivers because they have to play within thier tires which now have to last all qualifying and the entire race...
Old 03-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by matrix,Mar 28 2005, 06:56 PM
This is another reason why I really hate this new tire rule - not only is it dangerous, but we can't see the best out of the drivers because they have to play within thier tires which now have to last all qualifying and the entire race...
If the tire and engine rules aren't rescinded, there will be no Formula One in five years!

Did you see the pit crew during pit stops at the races so far this year? Watch the guys standing by the tires. That's all they're doing, just standing there.

Let's go back a few years. If they want to slow the cars down, there's one way to do it - cubic inches. Let the cars run any amount of cylinders from one to thirty-six.

Rule changing merely to justify the survival of those who make the rules is s-t-u-p-i-d!

Advancement in technology of the cars we drive originates on racetracks. It always has. With these new rules, it cannot.

Gerry
Old 03-28-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 5,006 Likes on 3,028 Posts

wpriller...... I was at Sebring for the entire week. Thank god I didn't take my S2000. My 15 year old Maxima served as a great Paddock Car but I wouldn't want to subject my S2000 to the Woodstock of the South. I was crewing with two driver's who were very concerned about their race cars with the hundreds or should I say thousands of drunken Spring Breakers who didn't even know there was a race. I did get in a couple laps of the race track in a vintage racer, which was quite a treat.

It is nice to know the car is still so rare. In 4,000 miles of driving I only spotted four.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:46 PM

My way to reduce F1 speeds: no wings, flat underbody.

Result: cars that are less like airplanes, ones that handle more like the ones we drive, lower speed of course, more passing because of less aerodynamic influence between passer and passee.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:09 PM

The wings have already been significantly reduced; just look at races from five years ago. I have to agree with you about the cars though, they do resemble fighter jets more and more every year. Again, just look at how wide and flat the cars were just a few years ago.

Hey Marco, I was just needling you about MS. He's still the best driver out there. It kinda frustrating to watch him be so non-competitive. F1 took square aim at Ferrari and hit a bullseye, but sometimes revenge isn't so sweet. (Unless of course, you're Renault)

Honda appears to be on a misguided pursuit of endless HP. Time will tell if they're right. On to Bahrain!

I do love the drama of pit stops now...

can he get the gas nozzle connected??? oh... well, can he now get it disconnected??!!! WOW what a thrill!

Quick Reply: Are S2000 Drivers Interested In Sports Car Racing