S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are S2000 Drivers Interested In Sports Car Racing

Old 04-04-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,Apr 4 2005, 07:45 AM
Dang, missed it. I wonder if there was any S2000 exposure shown on the ESPN broadcast?
I watched nearly all of the ESPN coverage - don't remember seeing any of the S2000s.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=dlq04,Mar 31 2005, 08:16 PM] Is Pete Brock any relation to Peter Brock of Daytona Coupe fame?

John Paul Jr. is a damn good driver and no doubt would be fun to meet.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:24 PM

Received 2,692 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmateer,Apr 4 2005, 12:48 PM
I watched nearly all of the ESPN coverage - don't remember seeing any of the S2000s.
Darn...I meant to tune it to see them leading the parade with Grant in there. No coverage, huh??
Old 04-04-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by vroom,Mar 31 2005, 08:34 AM
You guys who don't see S2000s need to move to Arlington, Va or NYC - especially Arlington. In an 8 minute ride to work I'm sure to see one (parked - that's cheating) and usually see about 2 others! Just driving around, they are everywhere - I'm wondering what it'll be like once it gets really warm...
That's true - there are quite a few here in NOVA. Have I seen you or your car?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:17 PM

I saw lots of S2000s tearing up the track yesterday... from race control at Sears Point... s'cuse me... Infineon Raceway.

(OK... there's none in this photo, but you get the idea...)

They had the F1 race on one monitor up there, NASCAR on another, and views of the track on a third... now I know what it'll be like in heaven.

If you want to see fast S2000s, we've invaded the Honda Cup and Honda Challenge out here. Slick Rick will most likely be this year's champion in both, and by next year I expect to see an all S2000 podium. (all S2ki active members too ) Mighty good racing, even though nobody's watching...

Obviously, seats are tough to get, so buy your tickets early...
Old 04-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 5,249 Likes on 3,141 Posts

Originally Posted by wpriller,Apr 4 2005, 04:58 PM
Yes it was Peter Brock of the Shelby Daytona Fame, he is now doing the Superperformance Cobra and GT car that is the closest replica of the original Shelby Cobra and Daytona. He had his own personal GT parked at the Superperformance display at Sebring. One of the other attractions in Amelia Island besides the Ritz Carlton and the Amelia Island Plantation, is visiting the Fort in Fernandina Beach and watching the Nuclear Submarines going out to Sea from St. Marys, Georgia. Petit LeMans is a nice venue and going into the Paddock early in the morning is great. If you have the opportunity and the time, you should try to make it this year.
THAT Pete Brock! Neat. I am totally taken by the Daytona Coupe.

I fully intended to test drive one either on the way down or on the way back during my Sebring trip. I had spoken to the dealership in Cinci but alas, it just was not meant to be. I could not leave on the Saturday before the race because we were hosting a car event. That Sunday I had a 600 mile drive so time would not permit a stop in Cinci to test it. My wife flew down a week later and we drove back together. Since she has a back condition from being thrown off a horse, it required we take four days driving back. On the return trip I had the time for the test drive but it would have been on Easter sunday when I hit Cinci and I didn't have the heart to call ahead for an appointment.

I did see the red one with Washington plates at the track. Totally, totally loved it! I don't know if I really can handle an impractical car that costs that much and brings that much attention. But I plan to test drive one anyways - after seeing it in the flesh, I have to. As a side note, I saw the 3rd Ferrari GTO ever built at LeMans in '62 and it didn't excite me any more than seeing that Daytona Coupe - even a replica. A dream car to be sure.

We did a drive-through of the Amelia Island Plantation. Probably should have checked out the Fort in Fernandina Beach since it was only a few blocks inland from where we stayed. Next time.

Petit LeMans - how nice of you not to correct me. Its not Mid-Ohio (as my aging brain thought) but Road Atlanta in the fall, right? One of the road courses I've never been to. I had planned on attending a vintage race at Road Atlanta at the end of this month, but passed on it instead to go to the S2000 meet in WV.

In closing I do respect you folks who "show your colors" by driving your cars to the track. Sure beats garage queens.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Apr 4 2005, 10:27 PM
That's true - there are quite a few here in NOVA. Have I seen you or your car?
Possibly .

I had it here from December
Old 04-05-2005, 04:32 AM

^ OK...there was the Evolution meet on the 26th, but you must have missed that one.

Back to racing...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:23 AM

Dave, just a general question, when Graham Hill won the World Championship was he Driving for BRM or Cooper Climax? In reference to the Ferrari 250 GTO, I saw my first one on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, but as a teenager on my way to school, I use to walk by Performance Motors one of the original Cobra Dealerships in the Country. It was on LaBrae Blvd., in LA. I would always walk out the way just to stop and look in the window at the Cobra's. Can you imagine that the sticker was $6,500, and this was in 1965. I've seen people put a price anywhere from $100,000 as high as 400,000 for a original Shelby Cobra. I can't imagine what someone would let an original Daytona go for. Your right, Pete Brock's replica of the Daytona is outstanding, but alot of money. I have two projects I am working on now, and my wife is constantly asking me to get rid of my 75 911S that I've owned since 1980. I am also trying to convince my Father to let me store his 1967 Sunbeam Tiger here in Georgia. His favorite line is take care of your own car first. It has been a pleasure communicating with you, and I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you.

Bill (Bird) P.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:11 AM

Received 5,249 Likes on 3,141 Posts

Bill,

Graham won the '62 championship with BRM. At LeMans that year he was driving an Aston Martin DB4GT with Ginther. It was a DNF. Still a beautiful car. Here's a picture I took of it in the Chateau's garage. 40 years later I was to met his wife Betty again at a vintage race at the Glen. Where did the time go?

Both the 911 and Tiger a great cars and keepers. Good luck on your project. My projects now take 5 times longer than they used to!

Who knows, some day our paths may cross at one the races.

Dave

Quick Reply: Are S2000 Drivers Interested In Sports Car Racing