S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Special Songs

Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Special Songs

I have a few songs that when I hear them I have special memories or feelings.

Wedding Song (There is Love) - The song Elaine and I danced to at our wedding

Love Song (Elton John) - The song that I actually considered to be the one for us. My daughter also used this as her borrowed item at her wedding (I walked her down the aisle to this song being played on a guitar)

Child of Mine (Carole King) - The song my daughter and I danced to. Wonderful lyrics and perfect for us. I had a Carole King CD playing one day and Elaine came to me crying. I didn't know what was wrong. She said aren't you listening, this is the song for you and Jessica to dance to. She was right! There was a band and the singer told me she almost lost it when she was singing it.

Child of MIne
Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Sweetheart Tree (Johnny Mathis) Our favorite song while dating and song we danced to at our wedding reception.

Edleweiss (Sound of Music) Song I hummed to my infant daughter when trying to put her to sleep.

Oh Boy (Buddy Holly) song my Dad sang when I was 13 or 14. Embarrased me then, I cherish it now.

Irish Lullabye. My Mom sang this while I was growing up when she was always cleaning.

I wanna go home. Song I sang while in boot camp!!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Lots of special songs.

"Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"-Bob Dylan-One of my very favorite songs. Every time I hear it I think of those late nights with headphones typing, on a portable electric typewriter, the term paper that was due the next day. Usually I didn't get to sleep until the wee small hours of the morning. Songs like this helped me get it done.

"Goodnight Irene"-Huddie Ledbetter (LeadBelly), The Weavers and etc.-My father used to sing this (off key) to my mother Irene. They're both gone now but I can still hear my father singing the song. It has become one of my favorite old folk/blues songs.

"The Weight"-The Band-Another of my very favorite songs. Every time I hear this song I think about my motorcycle and why I had to buy it. If you don't understand, watch the first 20 minutes of "Easy Rider".

"Till"-The Angels-My older sister walked down the aisle to this song at her wedding. I was the best man. We were a very close family. It was a very happy time. Something happened and the family fought. I haven't seen or spoken to my older sister in over 25 years. I'm still very close to my younger sister, but I miss the time when we were a family. This song brings back memories of those times.

"I'll Never Find Another You"-The Seekers-Every time I hear this song I think of my wife. I still can't figure out how I was lucky enough to get her to marry me. The title says it all.

"Walk Away Renee"-The Left Banke-Second day of my freshman year of college, the cutest, most beautiful girl I'd ever seen sat down next to me in physics lecture hall. I was smitten but being a shy, stupid kid I didn't know what to say. She said hello, we became friends. I wanted more but she just wanted to be friends. We became best friends and are friends to this day. Here name isn't Renee, but if you don't understand why I think of her when I hear this, read the story behind the song.

"Daydream Believer"-The Monkees-Sometime at one of our early Vintage meets we had a sing-along. I think Legal Bill started singing this song and we all sang along. Somehow this song became the theme song of Vintage. I think of those fun meets and camaraderie that was Vintage every time I hear this song.

More as I think of them.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tear up every time I hear

"Kookie Kookie Lend Me Your Comb".

There was a post on vintage about 10 things that would disappear in our lifetime. One was music.

Sent by carrier pigeon
Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

The first song that popped into my head was "Get Together" by the Young Bloods. On the evening of 20 July 1969, I was at Al's Stereo Bar at 111 ST and Liberty Avenue in Queens, NYC. The drinking age back then was eighteen and I was out with friends at the coolest bar in the area. All of the walls, and the ceiling were painted black. The walls were adorned with fluorescent colored plastic musical instruments and the place was lit with "black light" and the place had a "killer" sound system for the time hooked up to the juke box.

As we all watched the TV of the moon landing and Neil Armstrong taking those first historical steps on the moon, there was a scroll across the bottom of the screen with quotes from various countries around the world congratulating the USA on this feat. It seemed that for at least that "magical night" that the world had come together as "human kind", and forgot their differences and politics. As we were watching, Get Together came on the juke box. It seemed so apropos. I will never forget that moment.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:47 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
The first song that popped into my head was "Get Together" by the Young Bloods. On the evening of 20 July 1969, I was at Al's Stereo Bar at 111 ST and Liberty Avenue in Queens, NYC. The drinking age back then was eighteen and I was out with friends at the coolest bar in the area. All of the walls, and the ceiling were painted black. The walls were adorned with fluorescent colored plastic musical instruments and the place was lit with "black light" and the place had a "killer" sound system for the time hooked up to the juke box.

As we all watched the TV of the moon landing and Neil Armstrong taking those first historical steps on the moon, there was a scroll across the bottom of the screen with quotes from various countries around the world congratulating the USA on this feat. It seemed that for at least that "magical night" that the world had come together as "human kind", and forgot their differences and politics. As we were watching, Get Together came on the juke box. It seemed so apropos. I will never forget that moment.
Nice, inspirational.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I married my best friend.

"You're My Best Friend" - Queen

Ooh, you make me live
Whatever this world can give to me
It's you, you're all I see
Ooh, you make me live now honey
Ooh, you make me live

You're the best friend
That I ever had