S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Tai Chi

Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue,Sep 1 2009, 06:38 PM

Hmmm, just wondering if there is a connection between Grannyrod's multiple organsms, wax in her ears, crystals in her inner ear, and vertigo!

Oh boy, the things that I have learned since I joined all of you
Excellent research and analysis.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=buckeyesue,Sep 1 2009, 05:38 PM]

Hmmm, just wondering if there is a connection between Grannyrod's multiple organsms, wax in her ears, crystals in her inner ear, and vertigo!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 AM

I have been doing Tai Chi since I loved in Taiwan in 71. It is a great streaching exercise and even more so since I just had my 31st birthday.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by FLA-Vyk,Sep 2 2009, 09:34 AM
I have been doing Tai Chi since I loved in Taiwan in 71.
And just who were you loving in Taiwan in 1971, mister?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 747 Likes on 454 Posts

+1 and I just finished our third week of Taoist Tai-Chi. We are now card carrying members of the Taoist Tai Chi Society. WE LOVE IT. Sadly I'll miss one class next week since I have to travel, but +1 will cover the lesson for me. He's practicing out on the beach, but I'm not ready for the spectacle that my feeble jerky attempts at practice would create! It is quite enjoyable and my muscles make me uber aware they are being used! This class will take us through the first 17 movements and then will resume in January ad infinitum until we decide to stop which I'm hoping is never. Our instructor says by this time next year, we'll be able to execute a complete set of 108 movements. I highly recommend Tai Chi and look forward to continuing. Jim and I enjoy practicing together. I have to say he looks so graceful and elegant and I hope I can achieve the same. It is quite wonderful to abandon everyday thoughts and concerns and concentrate on moving appropriately and completing each movement.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 AM
tof

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Speaking of martial arts...Not to brag but I was the 1989 ATA Florida State sparing champoin (Tai Quan Do).

in the 40 and older class...

among yellow belts....

I had to beat two other guys and they were both overweight and both smoked so they got winded during sparing.

That's right, ladies...I'm a bad man....as long as the competition is overweight smokers who are older than me.

Val, enjoy the Thi Chi...Wish someone around here would offer Tai Chi classes. While I was never much in the two years I took tai quan do, it did wonders for my cardiovascular fitness. But, alas, we moved from Jacksonville to Tallahassee and I never took it up again. I would love to take up something similar but much lower impact as befits my advanced years.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tof,Oct 1 2009, 02:51 PM
. . . I would love to take up something similar but much lower impact as befits my advanced years.
I thought I had it made when I showed up for class and discovered one of my fellow class members was about my mom's age and used a cane and another one was also about my mom's age and had a cast on her leg. Those gals are rocking!!! The cane is all but forgotten and the cast is now off. They are doing GREAT!! The instructor has to help them a little, but the way I see it, I'm learning from their mistakes.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:24 AM

I said to myself, self why would you read a post about Tai Chi there can't possibly be anything there that you would find interesting. Then ole Granny starts talking like that and this has now become my favorite post
Old 11-12-2009, 04:52 AM

Update. We have only 3 classes to go in this semester before we break for the holidays. Everytime we learn new movements I go through a period of new muscle soreness where I did not realize I had muscles. It seems though that the hardest part of Tai Chi is learning to simply concentrate on tai chi and not let anything else overtake your mind. I REALLLLLY have problems with that. When I totally relax and concentrate on the rhythmic movements, I can get through the set from beginning to end, but somewhere along the line some random thought will destroy me and I forget the next move. We're both really enjoying this and practicing tai chi at the beach is wonderful. I suppose when we go back home we'll have to practice indoors, but the important thing is continuing the practice. Classes resume mid-January and we look forward to it. All in all we're finding tai chi to be beneficial, relaxing and enjoyable. I've already noticed that the hip pain that nags me has diminished to only an occasional wince, my ankles, legs and shoulders are much stronger and my power of concentration is becoming better. I suppose I'll always have difficulty with being able to keep my mind completely free of any thoughts except tai chi. That would be my ADD at its finest. I'd highly recommend some form of tai chi as therapy for anyone who desires to maintain balance and flexibility. Its really fun having a tai chi partner. He helps me with my form and is my coach. I think I'll keep him.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:58 AM

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Glad you are enjoying it, Val, AND getting benefits from it. I was contemplating trying to find a yoga class to get some good stretching in. Too long a period of being a slug caught up with me. Hitting the treadmill seems to have helped. Activity is important, even when we feel , though some days I'd rather than exercise.

Quick Reply: Tai Chi