S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Technology versus the Arts

Old 09-20-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say that technolgy can be art.

The source code of a computer program can be a thing of beauty, if done correctly, to someone who understands it.

An elegantly functional mechanical component, like a turbine blade or connecting rod, can also be a work of art.

The first mid-engine F1 Coopers were beautiful examples of technological advance.

The engineer (of which I am one) or other technologist must be also be an artist to create the highest form of his/her work.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:50 PM

Received 473 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Sep 20 2005, 09:26 AM
I don't know the answer to your questions.

But I'll be glad that I'll be dead in 100 years if at that time people think Rap music is a "classic."
Old 09-20-2005, 05:14 PM

Rap music and other types of mass produced music are not a new phenomena. As a hobby, I collect and rebuild player pianos. The music that is recorded on player rolls from the early piano roll years (circa 1910) to the late twenties is 95% junk. There is also a lot of "classical" music that is not worth listening to.

Good music, as well as exceptional examples of other artistic expression, will last forever.I believe that in in every generation we have artists that create beauty. The problem is that it is not usually recognized until long after the artist is gone.

I also believe that as technology evolves, the means that "artists" use to express their ideas also evolves.

I like to view technology as "invention", and art as "creation" because technological improvements are based on building on established principles. Art is from the "soul".

I sometimes wish I had the ability to see art as others (my wife) do, but I live inside my very techno-focused head.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by WireGuy,Sep 20 2005, 05:08 PM
This subject for me is one that I have given more thought to than I probably ever should. I'm almost consumed with the arts. I believe that art is for all intense and purposes a reflection of where a society is at that given time. One must factor in the different cultural differences in the time line as well. I will not fault or degrade a composition on the merit that a new media is implemented. I will fault a composition when the composer doesn't take advantage of the latest technology. I do find myself going back to some of the masters of modern music like: Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Beatles,etc. The compositions that they wrote thirty years ago for me blow the doors off of most of what I've been hearing lately.

Technology and the arts have always been intertwined. This is nothing new. Thoughout all of human history the evolution of technology has stimulated the arts. This is a very good thing.

Art has always been a reflection of the culture and times in which it is created. Look at drama, fashion, music and any other form of art and you will see bits and pieces of the society and times it was created in.

That we look back to the past for music is nothing new. This has been going on for a very long time. The difference is that now technology has enabled us to save a vast library of music, not as we think it was made, but rather as it was actually recorded. We are the first generation of people who can experience the performing arts as they were actually performed in near lifelike quality. We are the first generation who can hear music that was recorded before we were born and see films that were made before we were born in exactly the same way that they were seen originally. Some pretty amazing things happen when technology and art get together.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:35 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by FO2K,Sep 20 2005, 09:14 PM
Good music, as well as exceptional examples of other artistic expression, will last forever.I believe that in in every generation we have artists that create beauty. The problem is that it is not usually recognized until long after the artist is gone.
That is the one thing that I think has changed over the last fourty or fifty years. Traditionally, greatness wasn't recognized for generations, and time was allowed to sort out the true art from the fake art. Today, because of the mass media and the need to promote, the title of "great" is immediately given to any artist who captures the public's fancy, even if it is only for Andy Warhol's "15 minutes of fame."

I suppose that is how popular culture always worked except that the stakes are so much higher today.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:37 PM

Great post Matt.

DaVinci
Old 09-20-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 473 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by cordycord,Sep 20 2005, 09:37 PM
Great post Matt.

DaVinci
Cordycord,

I am happy that you think so. As I like to do when I create a thread, and throw a thought out there, I will limit my post as to not discourage or influence the exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Although, with that stated: I thought that serendiptiy played a role today after having that thought while ironing a shirt to wear today, and then hearing the NPR interview with Anoushka Shankar along with the samples of her music blending the old with the new.

I am curious how many of you listened to her NPR interview, and a few samples of her music that blends the old with the new.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4855112
Old 09-20-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's another twist... Are you guys familiar with Pointillism (Serat, etc.)? The whole artistic concept of rendering scenes with points of paint is basically the same thing that's done in modern computer graphics and digital phtography, where electronic pixels are used rather than paint. Art influencing technology!

I do agree that technology and art are deeply intertwined. Times of great creativity are often marked by art motivating technology.

Denis made a great point earlier that the best technologists essentially practice an art at the top of their game. I believe there is artistic inspiration in great software (for example).
Old 09-20-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Cars are art! Sadly, some art is bad.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

(yeah, some of it in recent BMWs I might add, Bill)

(thankfully not the new 3)

Quick Reply: Technology versus the Arts