S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Thinking ahead to fall

Old 06-22-2006, 03:47 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Thinking ahead to fall

Well folks, I've tried to get information on the status of Fall Colors this year and I have not been very successful. I have had either no response to my PMs or messages that folks do not know if anything is happening. My post on the FC forum got no response.

A brief recap:

In the past, Vintage members attended Fall Colors in droves. Then Rick Hessel announced he wasn't going to do it anymore. I suggested that Vintge take up the challenge of organizing and running Fall Colors. Also, the New England crew thought about taking up the challenge. While this was being discussed, another board member talked to Rick and he took up the challenge with the help of other members.

When the new group took over FC, the event centered on a track weekend. I would love to do that, but my schedule conflicted with the event. Many Vintage folks could not go and/or were not interested in a track day event. We ended up having a small meet at Lake George NY. At the end of that event, we discussed doing it every year.

And so, with little or no direction or vision, I come to the point. Are people interested in a Fall meet this year? I know it may be hard to think about it now, but it sure is a lot easier to plan if we know in advance. I may ask the Metro crew if they plan to do anything regarding FC or a similar event. I would like to know what all of you would like to do, so post your thoughts here.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:59 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Bill,

I was under the impression that a few people were putting together plans for a Fall Colors event in New Hampshire. Every now and again I hear something about it, but in general, it doesn't seem to be happening. I think the problem is that an event the size and nature of Fall Colors requires a great deal of advance planning to set up and coordinate, and so far, since Rick had given it up there is no one willing to take ownership of the event and see it through. Just think about how long and hard the New England Group has been working on the NorEaster, which is suspect is going to replace Fall Colors as the East Coast's major meet.

The Gathering at Lake George was a significantly smaller event, and it was confined to Vintage. I think this type of event is much easier to put on and plan. It just may be that this type of event is much better suited to us and the fall especially coming on the heels of the NorEaster.

I'd be up for something similar to the Gathering in October, and I'd be willing to participate in the planning.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:16 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

We'd be up for a Fall Gathering at some spot.

Did either of you have a place in mind? Lake George would be fine with us again. By October, vacation time is just about gone, so for us to attend, it can't be too far.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:20 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

Probably not a distant meet. If its within a couple/hundred miles of central Virginia then I'd do it, but I can't do another 500+ miles. After the SF, TC Memorial Meet in Ohio and then the Nor'Easter it'd be too much for us.

PS: I have sent an inquiry to this place: Virginia International Raceway to inquire about track usage for the future. I'm sure there are ample hotels, shopping, dining, etc. in the area and it is right on the VA/NC border for the convenience of folks coming from the south and may be a venue that will offer the peeps from the lower states to attend group functions. Danville, VA, like Charlottesville, VA is 60 miles from me and I'd be glad to scope it out. Its only about an hour's drive. It is flatland and doesn't offer the mountain drives, but there are tons of rural roads throughout.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:35 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Newbie time. Not having read anything this year about Fall Colors I thought that perhaps the Dragon Ball Run was what was happening this year. Alan is game to attend that. I get to go to an Eric Clapton concert in Toronto that weekend, a gift from our daughter. Haven't been to a rock concert since the 60's, not since I met +1.
Just an idea, that we attend the Dragon Ball Run.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Catherine, the Dragon is quite the road, from what we hear.

It's a bit too far for us, but for you folks from Michigan, it's probably only 2-3 hours.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:47 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd consider a fall event. Hopefully we don't have another deluge like we did last yr. The nice thing was that despite the downpour I had a great time.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 710 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Tachus,Jun 22 2006, 07:35 AM
Newbie time. Not having read anything this year about Fall Colors I thought that perhaps the Dragon Ball Run was what was happening this year. Alan is game to attend that. I get to go to an Eric Clapton concert in Toronto that weekend, a gift from our daughter. Haven't been to a rock concert since the 60's, not since I met +1.
Just an idea, that we attend the Dragon Ball Run.
^^ That's 400 miles for us -- not doable. We've managed to evade the dragon since we've driven it before and feel its not worth the effort for us. Our roads are so similar that we don't like to take vacation time for it. Most folks who do it really have a blast, so I'd say go for it. Its just too far for us to drive. Its probably about 7 hours from here.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

My thought would be to move the Fall event a bit south and/or west. We have had plenty of events in the far northeast over the past 12 months. We should really be fair to folks and try to move events around a bit.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Lainey check with Bill about how long it takes us. His one hour seems to equal somewhere around fourteen for most, well may be his 2 hours equals 14. I think we are about 10 from the dragon. With these flat straight roads here in SE MI it's worth the drive for us.

Quick Reply: Thinking ahead to fall