S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The time has come

Old 08-05-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default The time has come

I didn't think I'd ever part with my S2000. From the day I bought it I promised myself that I'd keep if for life. I even, jokingly, said that I was going to show it at Pebble Beach in the year 2027 on it's 25th birthday. I've kept it in showroom condition all these years, always garaged and always maintained. Oil changes every 1,000 miles and the like. And, I've really, really enjoyed owning it. I've enjoyed the car and I've enjoyed all the adventures I've had with it. I especially enjoyed all of the people I've met because of it and all of the good times we've had.

Now it's time for me and the S to part ways. In the last two years, the only times I've used it was to attend meets. The only other times I've run it was just to run it. For the most part it sits in the garage. It's now become an effort to service it and it just isn't as much fun as it used to be. I've put less than 10 miles on it since Spring Fling, and very few before. It seems a shame for it to just sit and get older.

The bottom line is I've enjoyed it for 10 years and now it's time for someone else to get some enjoyment from it.

About 1/2 hour ago I put an ad in Craigslist. I hope someone who will appreciate it buys it.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 3,025 Likes on 1,677 Posts

WHAT??? Are you feeling okay? Drive it!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 3,025 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Honestly, Rob, what's up? I have an NSX and I won't let my S2000 go. There's nothing that handles like it. Why don't you go play with it?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 165 Likes on 147 Posts

Take it out and drive it for a bit.... get those old feelings for the car back.....

I know we haven't had the S2000 out much this year either except for events..... too damn hot!

Don't make a rash decision that you might regret later!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM

Patty,

Yesterday Adam and I went to Radio Shack to buy a cable. It was a beautiful, warm Saturday morning. Adam asked if we were going to take the S and I stopped for a minute, thought about it and said, "No, we'd only have to put the top up when we went into the store and take it down again. Why bother?" I thought about that for most of the day and realized that the time had come. It used to be an adventure, now it's a bother.

Liz never much liked the S, she came with me because I asked her and because she likes all of the Vintage people. Adam is leaving for school and will be at Virginia Tech for the next 4 years. That leaves only me and using the car alone isn't that much fun (anymore). It breaks my heart to see the car sit in the garage all the time. As much as I love it, I feel like I've gotten my 10 years of enjoyment from it and now it's time for someone else to enjoy it.

Patty, I hear what you're saying, but the time has come.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lovetodrive2000
Take it out and drive it for a bit.... get those old feelings for the car back.....

I know we haven't had the S2000 out much this year either except for events..... too damn hot!

Don't make a rash decision that you might regret later!
Thanks. I did take it out and still felt the same way. I do appreciate what you're saying about rash decisions, but I've been thinking about this since Spring Fling.

Maybe I'll change my mind but I doubt it. It just seems very wasteful for me to continue to own it.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Wow...this is a surprise. I can understand your feelings. Mine sits a lot, too, but I'm not ready to part with it. I hope this doesn't mean that you and Liz won't be attending Spring Fling 2013!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I believe a lot of what we do in our leisure time, are phases, boating, fishing, horseback riding, motorocycles, RV, fast cars, etc.

Certain things fit your life at certain times, and yes people move on.

We don't use our S as often as we did in the beginning. Life gets in the way, but we're not ready to part with it. I don't see than happening anytime soon.

Rob, do what is right for you, but don't sell your car because you think it's wasteful to own it. I'm guessing your reasons aren't financial, more practical. Think about it a bit more. It doesn't cost that much to own/maintain, heck you could even have a trusted garage change the oil twice a year to avoid the chore. Drive it. Drive it to work, take it to the store and find that special parking place away from everyone else. Drive it again, Put the top down, drive it like you stole it, park it and put the top up. It's an electric top...not a bother!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 772 Posts

Rob, Rob, Rob. Say it ain't so. As one of the first to welcome me to the Vintage forum and to so eloquently express the joys of driving and owning this remarkable machine, I can't believe what I'm seeing.

You expressed so much pleasure at Spring Fling about it being like old times. I saw a happy person in you as my tail gunner on the drive. You even were an integral part of our planning committee for SF 2013. I remember the happy smiles on Adam's face as you drove in the first Fall Colors I attended back in 2003. I even have a video of it! How can you give up that part of your life??

Like Patty, I own both the S2000 and the NSX (as you know), and I, personally never tire of driving the S2000. Even now, I am on an almost cross-country trip in the S2000 to attend S2KCA Days in Colorado. I accidentally discovered some extremely challenging twisties today due to an unplanned detour on the back roads of Maryland on my way to my first overnight stop, and thought "how could it be any better than this?" Top down and going through the gears, plus pulling some nice G's on the curves....nothing like it, in any other car.

I truly hope you reconsider this decision and that nobody makes you a decent offer!

Please reconsider and stay with your friends.

A friend always,

Gene
Old 08-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I believe a lot of what we do in our leisure time, are phases, boating, fishing, horseback riding, motorocycles, RV, fast cars, etc.

Certain things fit your life at certain times, and yes people move on.

We don't use our S as often as we did in the beginning. Life gets in the way, but we're not ready to part with it. I don't see than happening anytime soon.

Rob, do what is right for you, but don't sell your car because you think it's wasteful to own it. I'm guessing your reasons aren't financial, more practical. Think about it a bit more. It doesn't cost that much to own/maintain, heck you could even have a trusted garage change the oil twice a year to avoid the chore. Drive it. Drive it to work, take it to the store and find that special parking place away from everyone else. Drive it again, Put the top down, drive it like you stole it, park it and put the top up. It's an electric top...not a bother!
^What Lainey said!!!

Quick Reply: The time has come