S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Toshiba external drive back up not working?

Old 03-26-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I have all my Word files, PDF, work (Excel and PowerPoint) junk, videos, sound clip, and photo backed up on two separate external HD.

BTW... I find that HD with their own power supplies are much more reliable. Than those that use the computer's PSU. I like the Seagate Expansion Desktop models. I have 4 and 5 TB models.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB5000100/dp/B00TKFEEBW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522079288&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate%2Bexternal%2Bexpansion%2B5tb&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB5000100/dp/B00TKFEEBW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522079288&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate%2Bexternal%2Bexpansion%2B5tb&th=1
Old 03-26-2018, 08:30 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
We have discussed this subject before. To make sure your data is safe you want to back it up with a local back up and an off-site or online backup. Personally, I don’t think you can have too many backups. I have two local and two off site. I have a portable drive that does a backup hourly and another that does a complete clone of my entire machine every night. In other words, if my Mac died I could plug it into a new one without ever reloading a single program. Having a backup or two at home is fine unless there's a fire, flood, or theft that eliminates everything in your home, all at once. Therefore, I backup all my photos to the cloud with 50GB’s for $1/month. I could include files/documents there as well but elect not to. For my second offsite backup I have a portable hard drive that I store in a different physical location. At a minimum I update it a couple times a year. I know I could set a calendar reminder to do it more often if I wish.

When it comes to photos, I see no reason not to use the cloud as part of the plan.

Remember, all drives will failure, sooner or later!
I agree. The only thing I do beyond that is rotate my (several) backup drives between my iMacs and a fire safe. In case of fire or break-in, I have something in the fire safe. You can also use hi quality (gold) DVD discs and re-burn them every 5 years.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I enjoy my privacy which steers me away from storing my personal data on cloud services, plus the anticipated data transfer costs, data storage costs along with the newly imposed data priority rates keep me away.

Two 2Tb external drives which cost less than $50 keeps me happy and amply stores all of my data. If my house burns, or is flooded, or is somehow compromised, I have a backup in my bank’s safe deposit storage. My bank’s safe deposit is visited often enough to rotate my two external backup drives and will provide restoration capabilities whenever I want.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
If my house burns, or is flooded, or is somehow compromised, I have a backup in my bank’s safe deposit storage. My bank’s safe deposit is visited often enough to rotate my two external backup drives and will provide restoration capabilities whenever I want.
The problem with safe deposit boxes is when you die. Your kids take over and put in a change of address valid for 6 months. Your box dues are past that date so the bank holds on and eventually transfers the contents to the state (no response to mail) and the state destroys everything on arrival that is not commercially viable. That means money, precious metals, firearms, and stock. Everything, and I mean everything (photos, heirlooms, all documents) are destroyed. How do I know? Been there done that. Bank sent all correspondence to old address. Box to state. Everything but one item destroyed. BTW the state made a detailed inventory of everything they destroyed. The box with one small item was bigger than the safe deposit box all the stuff was in.

Much better (and this is from the state employees who run the show) is to have a good safe at home. Best are the ones that are sunk into the ground or foundation. They are fireproof and difficult to break in and steal. Impossible to haul away.
Second best is a good size fireproof upright safe that is secured to the foundation or wall. It should be located in a place that is not subject to the highest heat in a fire. That means a corner of a garage or a corner of a house. You don't want it in the middle of a stick structure that will get hot for a long time.