S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Travel by air

Old 08-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,598 Posts

^ You have those waits with TSA Pre-check? We go right through pretty much every time. It's really nice.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:51 PM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

Drunks are almost always a problem. If we find someone drunk before departure they are removed. End of discussion. You can fall back on the FAA rule that says intoxicated people WILL be removed. You do have issues from time to time but airlines in general like to keep negative publicity of any type to a minimum. Social media can make that difficult.

With all the recent history the airlines/passengers have been through, making a scene on an airplane is not a good idea.

If you are going Pre-Check, you might as well go Global Entry. You get Pre-Check as part of that deal.

Pressurization. At maximum airliner altuitde (41K') you are around 8K' attitude. Never hit 10K'. Alarms go off if that happens. The "delta P" or pressure differential is about 8.5-9.0 psi. (That is why it is impossible to open a door at altitude.)

Old trick with manual pressure systems like the old 727: you could jack it up close to 10K' to make those folks who were drinking too much fall asleep faster. Above 10K' you start to loose some vision especially night vision. Approaching 15K' you have other physiological effects that you can notice especially if you have been trained in decompression chambers.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
^ You have those waits with TSA Pre-check? We go right through pretty much every time. It's really nice.
At ORD in the last month or two I've noticed the PreCheck and regular lines are pretty much equal.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 1,452 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Drunks are almost always a problem. If we find someone drunk before departure they are removed. End of discussion. You can fall back on the FAA rule that says intoxicated people WILL be removed. You do have issues from time to time but airlines in general like to keep negative publicity of any type to a minimum. Social media can make that difficult.

With all the recent history the airlines/passengers have been through, making a scene on an airplane is not a good idea.

If you are going Pre-Check, you might as well go Global Entry. You get Pre-Check as part of that deal.

Pressurization. At maximum airliner altuitde (41K') you are around 8K' attitude. Never hit 10K'. Alarms go off if that happens. The "delta P" or pressure differential is about 8.5-9.0 psi. (That is why it is impossible to open a door at altitude.)

Old trick with manual pressure systems like the old 727: you could jack it up close to 10K' to make those folks who were drinking too much fall asleep faster. Above 10K' you start to loose some vision especially night vision. Approaching 15K' you have other physiological effects that you can notice especially if you have been trained in decompression chambers.
Thanks, for answer! I often wondered why hiking above 11,000 feet resulted in vision with more contrast, less subtle colors. I always thought it was the lack of trees and big bushes above alpine elevation. Top of Mt Whitney looks like the moon. Big rocks, dirt, everything looks black and white. 50MPH winds.

I guess ppl get plastered before flights, due to fear of flying? A noisy drunk sure can make it a miserable for everyone else. Stewardesses must hate it.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 AM

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I guess ppl get plastered before flights, due to fear of flying?
I was never aware that a drunk needed a reason, just the opportunity.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:55 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
Originally Posted by jukngene' timestamp='1469850273' post='24028483
[quote name='Scooterboy' timestamp='1469849010' post='24028459']
I flew way too much when I was working. Unless it is absolutely necessary for me to fly I will drive. The golden age of flying is long gone........
^ Yep.
I also flew a lot for work over the years. The days of back to back flights from HNL (Honolulu) to LAX and then from LAX to MSY (New Orleans) eating filet mignon with Ben & Jerry's ice cream for dessert are long gone.

When we toured the Boeing Plant in Everett, Washington years ago. Before one goes on the plant tour they seat you in a theater, give you a response device, show you a film on the history of Boeing. Then they have everyone take a survey about what one looks for in air travel. The result was pretty much as follows:

• Low fares
  • No Frills
  • Non-stop
  • Just get me there as quick as possible
The bottom line is now the result of what people asked for. (It almost makes me wonder why Walmart has not gotten into the airline industry?)

[/quote]

They did. It's called Spirit.