S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Type 2 Diabetes

Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 711 Likes on 481 Posts

2 years ago I was borderline diabetic. I ramped up my cycling workouts, lost some weight, watched my diet and got the A1C down to 5.2. Not that hard to do if you consider the alternative.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:13 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

We NEVER use instant oatmeal. +1 eats the old fashioned oats and occasionally I fix the steel-ground, which is the only oatmeal I really like. His diabetes is well-managed and he does not feel deprived. He does not over-do the carbs and has a well balanced diet plan that works. He's very thin so we're working to try to get his weight up. I do not have that problem.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,640 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
2 years ago I was borderline diabetic. I ramped up my cycling workouts, lost some weight, watched my diet and got the A1C down to 5.2. Not that hard to do if you consider the alternative.
It still takes some self discipline, something which many people lack, even though they are aware of the alternatives, they are in denial. There are many non compliant patients out there. I'm hoping my son finds more self discipline along the way. I'd love to see him able to ditch some meds.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Val, I agree, and if I had time I'd do steel cut oats every morning. Unfortunately, only the weekends really allow me that much time! I've got an hour commute each way for work, and then 30-40 mins on my bike every day, so it is instant oatmeal or no oatmeal for me most days.

I also agree that it is all about discipline. And that's not something I've ever been really good at; but I'm trying, because I DON'T like the alternatives!

Dave
Old 12-13-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by parkerdt
Val, I agree, and if I had time I'd do steel cut oats every morning. Unfortunately, only the weekends really allow me that much time! I've got an hour commute each way for work, and then 30-40 mins on my bike every day, so it is instant oatmeal or no oatmeal for me most days.

I also agree that it is all about discipline. And that's not something I've ever been really good at; but I'm trying, because I DON'T like the alternatives!

Dave

You can fix steel cut oatmeal at night and stick in your frig. Micro wave it for breakfast. (see info on can/box) It is the best! I went to classes on how to manage my diabetes and I was allowed 45 grams of carbs a meal. If what you were eating had 5 grams of fiber or more, you could subtract that amount from the total carbs.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,407 Posts

I learned something today. I had never heard of steel cut oats.
add to task list to try.

I also did not know what a spurtle was either which is a Scottish porridge spoon....
Old 12-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

^^ I think you'll like, Jerry. It has more graininess than regular oatmeal. Takes a little time to cook, but it is delicious (imho). I like it better than grits.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,407 Posts

We went grocery shopping to night ( it's state law that you have ransack grocery store if the forecast is for more than 6 inches of snow) and got some steel cut oats.
So tomorrow morning I'll struggle through and make some oats without the benefit of proper spurtle.
Stay tuned...
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 711 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1386894442' post='22920247
It still takes some self discipline, something which many people lack, even though they are aware of the alternatives, they are in denial. There are many non compliant patients out there. I'm hoping my son finds more self discipline along the way. I'd love to see him able to ditch some meds.
I agree. My doc says I am the exception and other patients "just don't get it" until it's too late. Pricking my skin daily is not my idea of how I want to go through life.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:01 PM

REALLY? Good to know Barb, I am going to try this!

Thanks for the tip!

Dave

Originally Posted by plantpixie
Originally Posted by parkerdt' timestamp='1386946078' post='22920958

Dave

You can fix steel cut oatmeal at night and stick in your frig. Micro wave it for breakfast. (see info on can/box) It is the best! I went to classes on how to manage my diabetes and I was allowed 45 grams of carbs a meal. If what you were eating had 5 grams of fiber or more, you could subtract that amount from the total carbs.

Quick Reply: Type 2 Diabetes