S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

United States Grand Prix

Old 06-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default United States Grand Prix

I'm completely stunned that Michelin could not produce a tire to withstand 6 degrees of banking at Indianapolis. As a result, the Michelin teams boycotted the race leaving a pitiful six cars to compete. I suspect this spells the end of Formula 1 racing in the United States. I'm also sure that this does not bode well for Michelin.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

6 cars! OMG. I'll have to catch the news later.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I blame the FIA. Michelin flew in new tires, but the FIA wouldn't let the teams use them. They also refused to add a chicane as a compromise to slow traffic down. Michelin issued a document saying they wouldn't be liable for the possible damage caused by tire failure.
I think the teams were right to pull out under the circumstances.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is that the FIA's fault?

Bridgestone flew in the right tires, why should Michelin be given a break in the rules? Early in the season MS had to retire due to tire issues - did you see the Bridgestone teams issue letters saying thier tires would not suit the circumstances when it was widely known that they had tire problems? And remember - this was the 6th running of the USGP @ Indy - it's not like they've never been there before.

Michelin was simply poorly prepared - there is no other excuse.

I am really disappointed in what is happening in F1....many rules changes and the worst one has been to have a single set of tires for qualifying and the race.

Now Michelin realize they make a mistake and because they have the majority of the cars running their tires, they write a letter warning that thier tires will be unsafe for the race hoping to be able to substitute tires OR ADD a chicane! to the track to suit thier needs - how is that fair to Bridgestone.

To use the majority of teams to boycott the race is just plain wrong - Michelin should be penalized for this.

Single tire manufacturer (like in the past) would have prevented this problem....
Old 06-19-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-19-2005, 05:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I just feel terrible for the folks who were at Indy today.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Jun 19 2005, 08:37 PM
I just feel terrible for the folks who were at Indy today.
So do we all, Chaz. Imagine what it must have cost to each person attending. Of course that is no reason to litter the track with water bottles, etcetera.

I think Michelin should be sued to within an inch of their existence. I know the track owners will most likely have to fend off some lawsuits. They were correct in not appearing for the awards ceremony. I also loved the way Schumacher and Barichello behaved on the podium, refusing to even open their champagne bottles.

Montero's behavior on the podium was understandable; after all, he was the only one who actually won a race - the Ferrari wins were a given against Minardi and Jordan.

I have a suggestion - boycott Michelin. I intend to.

: drive::d rive:

Gerry
Old 06-19-2005, 06:07 PM

Doug (Triple-H) was at the race - he gave me a call and you could hear the crowd was not happy - who can really blame them?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:42 PM

Michelin was clearly at fault. Do you think Michelin would have given a hoot if Bridgestone had the same problems? They should be fined within an inch of their bank account, and if F1 goes to a single tire supplier format next year, it should be Bridgestone who is the supplier.

I'm sure glad I didn't fly in and pay inflated hotel prices to see a crappy race.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:44 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix,Jun 19 2005, 08:09 PM
........Single tire manufacturer (like in the past) would have prevented this problem....

As long as it isn't Michelin!

Quick Reply: United States Grand Prix