S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Used Ridgeline?

Old 10-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Ken, I think I would like the Ridgeline better than any of the alternatives. Towing capacity for the 4WD Ridgelines is 5,000 pounds which is enough for my small boats, but far too little for the Grady White. To tow that boat, I'd need an F250 or 350 or one of the big chevys. The bottom line is I do not want to tow the Grady myself and I don't want to buy a trailer for it, so it isn't an issue. The Ridgeline will give me the towing capacity I need. I'm just concerned about 170,000+ miles. Here is the leading candidate from Craigslist:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ct...329315478.html
I found the Ridgeline/Pilot too underpowered to tow anything more than 2500lbs comfortably, as it just doesn't have the power/torque. The max tongue weight is also very limited on them.

We do cross country towing with our camper, so what you're towing may be different altogether and may be just fine.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Sam. 2800 lbs is the estimated weight of the heaviest boat/trailer I'll be towing. On a side note, I have towed my 1200 lb boat and trailer with my S2000!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 4,932 Likes on 2,992 Posts

After Ken bought his new one I was curious to check on one. The dealer didn't have any on the lot.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
After Ken bought his new one I was curious to check on one. The dealer didn't have any on the lot.
I actually got very lucky. They had a few on the lot (not the model or color that I wanted. The one I bought was a cancelled order, and it was the color I wanted and the model +1 wanted. Apparently there can be a wait if you want color/model of choice. The dealer actually held it for a week for me, with deposit of course.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Lainey, what does Rick think about these?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ct...319332633.html
Originally Posted by Lainey
Trucks have never been on his radar, but I'll ask him this evening what he knows about these.
Bill, as mentioned, trucks have never been on his mind, but he said this truck is dependable, no engine issues, the 4.7 was a good engine, good transmission, good transfer case, but the typical stuff with trucks, rot, and brake line issues. Maybe truck guys don't fuss with snow/salt removal, like car guys? Brand loyalty aside, if he was looking for a used truck, he'd likely look for a Toyota Tacoma.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Bill,

170,000 miles seems like a lot but Hondas and Toyotas don't seem to be bothered by high mileage. Adam sold his Si with 180,000 miles on it and it was running really well and bought a 2000 4Runner with 170,000 miles on it to go off-roading, He drove the 4Runner from Texas to Ohio without a problem and claims the engine runs strong and smooth.

For a sometime vehicle I don't think that kind of mileage on a Honda or Toyota should frighten you (assuming the vehicle was well cared for).
Old 10-12-2017, 06:13 AM

Bill, as mentioned, trucks have never been on his mind, but he said this truck is dependable, no engine issues, the 4.7 was a good engine, good transmission, good transfer case, but the typical stuff with trucks, rot, and brake line issues. Maybe truck guys don't fuss with snow/salt removal, like car guys? Brand loyalty aside, if he was looking for a used truck, he'd likely look for a Toyota Tacoma.
A friend of mine is selling a Tacoma and he discouraged me from buying it! He said they ride really rough and you can't depend on the transfer case to shift properly when towing. His is a manual. Maybe the autos work better??
Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 AM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

A friend of mine is selling a Tacoma and he discouraged me from buying it! He said they ride really rough and you can't depend on the transfer case to shift properly when towing. His is a manual. Maybe the autos work better??
We have friends that have a Tacoma, and it is nice. It is a body on frame as opposed to a unibody, so it is much better at off road and towing, but comes at the cost of ride, handling and comfort, IMHO. The Tacoma is nice capable truck, but as I have been telling people the Ridgeline is a "different" kind of truck.

If I remember how Billman put it when he bought his 17, it's like a luxury car-truck, or something to that effect.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 2,746 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Hmmm never know. We have nothing to tow........ Good luck with your search/purchase. You need a bigger garage.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 AM

Hmmm never know. We have nothing to tow........ Good luck with your search/purchase. You need a bigger garage.
That, my friend, is a whole other thread...

Quick Reply: Used Ridgeline?